Importer Upset by Oknha Claims that Salmon Causes Cancer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Importer Upset by Oknha Claims that Salmon Causes Cancer

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh) On 9 December 2022, a man who imports salmon for sale in Cambodia reacted strongly towards some comments by Okhna Dr. Quach Mengly, where the doctor claimed that eating salmon causing cancer.

Questioning the Okhna’s knowledge on the subject, the salmon importer underlined the positive benefits and advantages of eating salmon, because in other countries people eat salmon in large quantities without any proof of health problems, let alone cancer. On the contrary, salmon is considered a healthy food. He calls for the Okhna not to mislead the public about consuming fish which is imported in the right manner.
Despite this, he said that the doctor's statement is true in that one should know the source of the salmon. However, one should not confuse finding out the source of the salmon, and the belief that eating salmon is harmful to health. Hence one does not have to be afraid to eat salmon, and that if one wants to share an opinion, they should think about how it affects others’ business.

Dr. Kouch Mangly has not yet commented or commented further.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Importer Upset by Oknha Claims that Salmon Causes Cancer

Post by Doc67 »

Okhna Dr. Quach Mengly, where the doctor claimed that eating salmon causing cancer.

That's all you need to know...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:14 am
Okhna Dr. Quach Mengly, where the doctor claimed that eating salmon causing cancer.

I love salmon. Won't eat any of the locally sold imported salmon though. It has an unnatural colour and who knows where it comes from

Farmed salmon is toxic. To declare it causes cancer is a bit rich but it's certainly not healthy to consume regularly imo

Wild salmon or no salmon for me
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

One has to wonder what his Dr. Relates to; Is it even medically related? The is a profile for a Dr. Quach, as it happens.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:14 am One has to wonder what his Dr. Relates to; Is it even medically related? The is a profile for a Dr. Quach, as it happens.
This looks like a match.

Mengly J. Quach
គួច ម៉េងលី
Born 25 March 1969 (age 53)
Battambang Province, Cambodia

He attended University of California, Berkeley in 1991 for Pre-Med[8] and received his Doctor of Medicine in General Medicine from Spartan Health Sciences University in 1998.[9] Quach also completed his medical clerkship at the University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago. He received his Masters in Public Health Practice from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2007.[10] Quach was a professor at the Cleveland College in California until 2002.[citation needed]

In 2002, Quach returned to Cambodia where he worked as public health advisor of Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) for Partners for Development [11] and taught at the Pannasastra University of Cambodia and University of Cambodia.[12]

He was also known by a controversy for criticizing the Cambodia's public health in 2016, saying that nine in ten doctors in the country were sub-par and treated their patients badly. He also commented that Cambodia's system for educating doctors remains weak and the training for doctors in Cambodia is very short. His comments prompted a government-affiliated doctors’ association to demand an apology and retraction.[18] Then, since 2017, his medical license has been denied.[19]
Full wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mengly_Jandy_Quach
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The controversy of him openly criticizing the medical establishment in Cambodia contrasts somewhat with the quackery of stating that Salmon causes cancer. Poetic licence by reporters, maybe? Clever editorial work.

Several doctors in Cambodia criticize the establishment, though not necessarily openly. Nice system that would block a medical licence on the grounds of ruffled feathers, but a botched operation is needed to draw the attention to unqualified medical staff in a maternity clinic.

A few centuries of catching up required in some government circles, methinks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:39 am

I love salmon. Won't eat any of the locally sold imported salmon though. It has an unnatural colour and who knows where it comes from

Farmed salmon is toxic. To declare it causes cancer is a bit rich but it's certainly not healthy to consume regularly imo

I steam salmon inside tin foil. The oil that comes out of it is orange which tells me they have dyed the fish food or the fish after filletting.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:25 pm

I steam salmon inside tin foil. The oil that comes out of it is orange which tells me they have dyed the fish food or the fish after filletting.
Which is a red flag

^
Have you seen this before?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:36 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:25 pm

Which is a red flag

^
Have you seen this before?
No. If I watch it will I ever eat farmed salmon again?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:12 pm

No. If I watch it will I ever eat farmed salmon again?
Probably - just not from certain types of farms. It isn't exclusively focused on Salmon - they check out fish farmin in a number of other countries including Vietnam and look at good practice vs what's bad
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic