AirAsia Plans to Launch Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

AirAsia Plans to Launch Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

AirAsia Plans to Launch New Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia
Prem Kumar, Bloomberg News

(Bloomberg) -- Capital A Bhd.’s AirAsia Aviation Group plans to start a low-cost airline in Cambodia, as tycoon Tony Fernandes reorganizes his network following the collapse of a joint venture in Japan and sale of an India affiliate. 

The airline aims to begin operations late next year after receiving regulatory approvals, Capital A said in a statement Friday. In a subsequent interview with Bloomberg Television, Fernandes said the venture will start with two aircraft and eventually expand to 15. 

“It’s time for expansion and time for growth,” Fernandes said. “Cambodia is a very attractive market, population is up to 13 million, huge tourism potential, not a lot of airline capacity here, the largest airline only has four planes.”

Capital A operates budget airlines in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines. AirAsia Japan Co. filed for bankruptcy with the Tokyo District Court in 2020, while the company recently sold its stake in an Indian joint venture to partner Tata Group. 

The new airline should be profitable “from the get-go,” Fernandes said. 

AirAsia India predicted it would break even in four months when it began flying in 2014, but it never made money in a market where high fuel taxes and cut-throat competition can make even dominant players unprofitable. Now the entire aviation industry faces the added challenge of emerging from the Covid crisis, though demand is rebounding swiftly and airfares are rising.

AirAsia operates about 49 weekly flights to Cambodia from Malaysia and Thailand, down from 90 prior to the pandemic, according to its chief executive officer, Bo Lingam. The new airline aims to serve routes within a four-hour radius of Cambodia, he said.
--With assistance from Anurag Kotoky and Yousef Gamal El-Din.
©2022 Bloomberg L.P.
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/airasia-pla ... -1.1857017
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: AirAsia Plans to Launch Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:56 pm AirAsia Plans to Launch New Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia
Prem Kumar, Bloomberg News

(Bloomberg) -- Capital A Bhd.’s AirAsia Aviation Group plans to start a low-cost airline in Cambodia, as tycoon Tony Fernandes reorganizes his network following the collapse of a joint venture in Japan and sale of an India affiliate. 

The airline aims to begin operations late next year after receiving regulatory approvals, Capital A said in a statement Friday. In a subsequent interview with Bloomberg Television, Fernandes said the venture will start with two aircraft and eventually expand to 15. 

“It’s time for expansion and time for growth,” Fernandes said. “Cambodia is a very attractive market, population is up to 13 million, huge tourism potential, not a lot of airline capacity here, the largest airline only has four planes.”

Capital A operates budget airlines in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines. AirAsia Japan Co. filed for bankruptcy with the Tokyo District Court in 2020, while the company recently sold its stake in an Indian joint venture to partner Tata Group. 

The new airline should be profitable “from the get-go,” Fernandes said. 

AirAsia India predicted it would break even in four months when it began flying in 2014, but it never made money in a market where high fuel taxes and cut-throat competition can make even dominant players unprofitable. Now the entire aviation industry faces the added challenge of emerging from the Covid crisis, though demand is rebounding swiftly and airfares are rising.

AirAsia operates about 49 weekly flights to Cambodia from Malaysia and Thailand, down from 90 prior to the pandemic, according to its chief executive officer, Bo Lingam. The new airline aims to serve routes within a four-hour radius of Cambodia, he said.
--With assistance from Anurag Kotoky and Yousef Gamal El-Din.
©2022 Bloomberg L.P.
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/airasia-pla ... -1.1857017
Fuck that, the Ryanair of Asia. Avoid at all costs
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In fairness, they can only exploit a market that actually has potential. Ryanair is successful for that reason- people wanted cheap. And slowly the standard goes down based on that model.

I used Air Asia a couple of times back in its early days, when they used the old sheds at the other end of KL’s airport. It did the job, but may be a victim of its own success.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Nice! I'd like to see cheaper flights to Laos and Vietnam.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:35 pm In fairness, they can only exploit a market that actually has potential. Ryanair is successful for that reason- people wanted cheap. And slowly the standard goes down based on that model.

I used Air Asia a couple of times back in its early days, when they used the old sheds at the other end of KL’s airport. It did the job, but may be a victim of its own success.
I flew Ryanair many times in my teens and 20's and flew air asia a few times also

With both of then when everything is fine it's fine but when it's not your trip is ruined

Much happier to pay a trivially larger amount and get flexibility, customer care, better baggage and cabin allowance, free food and beverages and greater legroom - and spare myself the garish colour schemes
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

im a fan of Anybody but Singapore Airlines. let there be more competition in Asia.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm Much happier to pay a trivially larger amount and get flexibility, customer care, better baggage and cabin allowance, free food and beverages and greater legroom - and spare myself the garish colour schemes
Those of us who want to spend the dollars elsewhere dont give a lot on those items. Especially on a flight thats less than 2-3 hours.Same with accomodation. Yoú get what you pay for.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I flew all region and I never had problems with AA in 15 years. Few times late 20 -30 min...You get what you pay for. For short 2-3 hours flights it does the job.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

truffledog wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:17 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm Much happier to pay a trivially larger amount and get flexibility, customer care, better baggage and cabin allowance, free food and beverages and greater legroom - and spare myself the garish colour schemes
Those of us who want to spend the dollars elsewhere dont give a lot on those items. Especially on a flight thats less than 2-3 hours.Same with accomodation. Yoú get what you pay for.
Provided it's not a rushed booking the higher quality carrier can sometimes even be cheaper

If it's almost the same price - or within 20% I would always take the more comfy, better service, less luggage BS airline
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Matty9999 wrote:im a fan of Anybody but Singapore Airlines. let there be more competition in Asia.
Why not Singapore Airlines?

Unless I’m mistaken, Singapore Airlines doesn’t bother with Cambodia. Connecting flights were through SilkAir, their regional arm. Old, worn aircraft, less pretty, less attentive cabin crew, frayed, threadbare seats.

Have things changed?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic