singapore airlines flights to Cambodia question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

singapore airlines flights to Cambodia question

Post by BklynBoy »

I usually take Singapore Airlines JFK-SIN-PP. I been watching the prices for summer and recently the cost rose dramatically. I was curious if anyone has taken Singapore Airlines recently. Any thoughts on the price jump?

About a month ago I saw RT for about 1,050. WHen looking currently it has basically doubled.

There are other options like China Airlines but was curious if anyone knew the reason for price jump w/ Singapore Airlines.

Obv I have time but ...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: singapore airlines flights to Cambodia question

Post by hanno »

Just a guess, but airlines invented yield management. It comes down to supply and demand. I booked a Singapore Airline flight to Japan a couple of months ago and prices have been dropping ever since. Tip: use Google Fly to track flights and get notifications when tarifs change.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I saw this also, London-Singapore-PhnomPenh. Compared to Emirates, it was seriously expensive.

The upside is that their hub is Singapore, so 1 long flight, one 2hr connection, all with Singapore.
The emirates option currently has 3 flights, and too much layover time. Plus, emirates are using Jetstar or Bangkok Airways for the connection.

I don’t entirely see how the entire cost difference is justified though. I’m sure the accountants do.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:41 am I usually take Singapore Airlines JFK-SIN-PP. I been watching the prices for summer and recently the cost rose dramatically. I was curious if anyone has taken Singapore Airlines recently. Any thoughts on the price jump?

About a month ago I saw RT for about 1,050. WHen looking currently it has basically doubled.

There are other options like China Airlines but was curious if anyone knew the reason for price jump w/ Singapore Airlines.

Obv I have time but ...
Personally I would avoid the airlines of Taiwan for a while. If Xi gets the Greedy Fever you're left empty handed.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Don't forget that airlines tend to keep cookies on your searches & will whack up the price of any flights you've been watching. Best to delete all cookies/browser history (in case you used other search engines, etc) and all that jazz before you go to make the booking.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:41 am I usually take Singapore Airlines JFK-SIN-PP. I been watching the prices for summer and recently the cost rose dramatically. I was curious if anyone has taken Singapore Airlines recently. Any thoughts on the price jump?

Obv I have time but ...
Hi BB,

I don't know the dates you are planning to fly but I played around on the EVA Air APP and found I return flight from JFK to PP via Taipei for $1121 USD. The dates are Feb 24 to Mar 20.

EVA Air is Taiwan's National Airline and Taipei is their home base. They have preferential treatment for flight times and connections. I think the duration for the flight from JFK to PP is about 20 hours. Also the bonus is that out of JFK it's usually a redeye flight and you get into PP around 11:30 next day. No real jetlag issues because I sleep during the redeye flight.

The secret to booking with EVA Air on their APP is to check regularly for the dates you are planning to fly. I fly with them all the time. Actually, it's the only airline I use now from Vancouver to PP. I notice that the prices start to come down around 2 to 3 months before your departure date. Then they jump back up around 1 to 1.5 months before departure.

I would suggest that you download the EVA Air APP and play around for the dates you are planning to fly. If you are within the window of 2 to 3 months before departure, you might find yourself a cheap flight.

Hope that helps or at least give you another option. Good luck and safe travels.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Newinkow wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:00 pm

Obv I have time but ...
Hi BB,

I don't know the dates you are planning to fly but I played around on the EVA Air APP and found I return flight from JFK to PP via Taipei for $1121 USD. The dates are Feb 24 to Mar 20.

EVA Air is Taiwan's National Airline and Taipei is their home base. They have preferential treatment for flight times and connections. I think the duration for the flight from JFK to PP is about 20 hours. Also the bonus is that out of JFK it's usually a redeye flight and you get into PP around 11:30 next day. No real jetlag issues because I sleep during the redeye flight.

The secret to booking with EVA Air on their APP is to check regularly for the dates you are planning to fly. I fly with them all the time. Actually, it's the only airline I use now from Vancouver to PP. I notice that the prices start to come down around 2 to 3 months before your departure date. Then they jump back up around 1 to 1.5 months before departure.

I would suggest that you download the EVA Air APP and play around for the dates you are planning to fly. If you are within the window of 2 to 3 months before departure, you might find yourself a cheap flight.

Hope that helps or at least give you another option. Good luck and safe travels.
Sorry. I should of read your post closely. You are looking to fly this summer.

Quick check on EVA for Jun 26 to Jul 17. The price for return was $1496 USD. Be careful when booking the JFK to PP portion of the flight. There is a cheaper option but that involves a stopover in Vancouver and a change in airline to an EVA flight out of Vancouver.

I would seriously start checking on prices with EVA around 3 months before your schedule departure date.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Yes, the price has jumped dramatically. When I booked in May for a one-way ticket for November out of Houston the price was almost $1,100 for premium economy. I checked again a few months later and it jumped to over $2,500. The plane was full. For whatever reason Singapore Air prices were rising while other airline prices were falling. Taipei Airport was closed when I booked my flight, the only reason why I didn’t fly Eva.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

My opinion only.

I think the reason that Singapore Air, a well known and respected airline, prices are drastically going up is because Changi airport is an international hub and is the home base for SA.

With air travel slowly increasing, all the SA flights into Changi airport are all fully booked. From there passengers will then catch connections flights, either with SA or another airline, to different parts of SE Asia. Most major airlines are now struggling to increase capacity to meet the demands post covid-19. With fully booked flights, SA can justify their increase in fare prices.

On the other hand, EVA Air is not that well known. The Taiwan Taoyuan airport is not an international hub. Most of the flights in are EA flights and passengers connect to other EA flights to other SE Asia destination. From North America, EA has flight to Taipei from Vancouver, Toronto, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Huston and JFK (that I know of). The flights are usually packed but there are flights everyday so if you do your homework in advance of departure, you should be able to find a cheap flight.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Even though I like Singapore Air, I’ll take Eva Air any day of the week. Good airline, good airport, and total travel time in/out of Houston is the shortest of any airline going to/from SE Asia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic