Kuala Lumpur vs. Bangkok vs. Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Kuala Lumpur vs. Bangkok vs. Phnom Penh

Post by Matty9999 »

Hey guys, how does Kuala Lumpur compare with Bangkok and PP? Down in Malaysia, American passports get upto 3 free months, which is a pretty good amount of time, i much prefer this amount of time vs. our 75 days free over in Thai town, and the 60 days in Cambodia for free+$50, since it gets me a bit more room to stretch out (and free). How does the general expat life compare? Ive seen some affordable apartments for rent down in KL. Thanks for your time.
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Re: Kuala Lumpur vs. Bangkok vs. Phnom Penh

Post by chriz_PP »

I wouldn't include Phnom Penh in that comparison.

in terms of size: I assume that Bangkok's population is more than half of Cambodia's (and probably like 5 times bigger than Phnom Penh). Kuala Lumpur is like 8 mio?

Phnom Penh is pretty underdeveloped in terms of traffic and city development compared to Bangkok (no parks, no public transportation, no taxi system except grab etc) and general life is less URBAN I would say.

some people like it, some don't (I do), it definitely takes a while to get used to life here and to like it in my mind (once you are automatically "blending out" the garbage, smell, beggars, homeless, etc.), not sure if it's same in the other mentioned cuties?

cost wise I'm not sure if Phnom Penh is cheaper, rent maybe, but I sincerely doubt that life (restaurants, groceries, bars etc) is cheaper in Cambodia.

well well hope that helps a bit (sorry it's late) ;-)
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

chriz_PP wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:36 pm I wouldn't include Phnom Penh in that comparison.

in terms of size: I assume that Bangkok's population is more than half of Cambodia's (and probably like 5 times bigger than Phnom Penh). Kuala Lumpur is like 8 mio?

Phnom Penh is pretty underdeveloped in terms of traffic and city development compared to Bangkok (no parks, no public transportation, no taxi system except grab etc) and general life is less URBAN I would say.

some people like it, some don't (I do), it definitely takes a while to get used to life here and to like it in my mind (once you are automatically "blending out" the garbage, smell, beggars, homeless, etc.), not sure if it's same in the other mentioned cuties?

cost wise I'm not sure if Phnom Penh is cheaper, rent maybe, but I sincerely doubt that life (restaurants, groceries, bars etc) is cheaper in Cambodia.

well well hope that helps a bit (sorry it's late) ;-)
Thanks LMAO, i was stuck in Cambodia for 14 months during the pandemic and 3 months in Thailand with 1 being in Bangkok, however i have not visited KL or Malay.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I like Phnom Penh and I like Bangkok, but I don't find KL very enjoyable. It's a place where I get 90 days for free, but want to get out after 9 days (or less), and I blame the religion of peace for that.
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

oooh damn I just read again the original post, I guess I slightly misunderstood the point of the question lol. cheers
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

When I first arrived in KL i was sooo surprised about the modern looking city (which I did not feel when arriving in PP). Its never as chaotic as BKK or PP. Whilst I see BKK as unique in terms of streetfood KL is not laggin far behind with a complete different menu. A real setback is entertainment. BKK and PP and far funnier places. I used to go to bed quite early compared to BKK and PP .The choice of accomodation is similar to BKK while the bottom part is quite dodgy. Dont expect aircon and TV for 15 US a night.

the beauty of Malaysia surely lies behind KL with loads of interesting destinations on beaches, islands and countryside. If I had to stay 3 months I surely would not stay more than a couple of days in KL and spend the remaining exploring the country. On the same issue I could easily stay in PP or BKK for a month and over.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

chriz_PP wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:36 pm once you are automatically "blending out" the garbage, smell, beggars, homeless, etc.
There is far more garbage, smell, beggars, homeless, etc in the average western city than I ever see here. I "blend out" that stuff by avoiding scuzzy areas.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I guess it depends on what you like to do in a city. Both KL and Bangkok are hot, but KL is more pleasant in places for walking around. It seems much less smoggy. It's easy to get on busses up to the national park highlands for great hiking and cooler temps. More to do for expats in Bangkok socially speaking, and that would go for Phnom Penh, too.

But as a place, KL is more pleasant than either Phnom Penh or Bangkok...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1st
Thailand offers 45 days free
Cambodia no days free
Malaysia 90 days ( for western passport)

As a tourist
I prefer Bangkok over PP and PP over KL
dont care for kl at all
BUT Malaysia is a fantastic country to travel around an Penang is one of my favorite SE Asian cities

from a site
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

KL is walkable, it has a very nice Chinese old town and market with great duck shops for cheap lunches. KL has super malls. Also, free public bus loop downtown. More ethnicity brewing there, Chinese, Malay, Indian... Cool ancient mosques and a botanical gardens. Far more interesting than the monoculture of Thailand and Phnom Penh. The only interesting place to walk in Bangkok, Thailand are the old lanes behind Chinatown towards the river, with their multitude of textile shops, gold shops, Indian restos, etc... And along a few of the canals. The rest of the city of Bangkok is a filthy monster of big city dirt and noise... KL feels far cleaner than either PP or Bangkok.

Singapore is by far the best city for amenities and gorgeous sites, especially the fabulous botanical gardens! I vote Singapore any day over the rest of dumpy Asia, lol...
Last edited by orichá on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic