Kuala Lumpur vs. Bangkok vs. Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Kuala Lumpur vs. Bangkok vs. Phnom Penh

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am knever been in Malaysia but will go next week, and booked a beautiful 4-star hotel with swimming-pool and breakfast included for 50 euros, thats not to bad in my eyes, i think here in phnom penh its not cheaper for something similar. Curious also how the city will be and where to find some wateringholes overthere !! ??
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm Curious also how the city will be and where to find some wateringholes overthere !! ??
That's what sux, mostly high end night clubs & spread out, no central strips of night spots.
Freightdog mentioned Reggae bar & I found another place I could watch the world go by, but that was it. Muslim country!
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm I am knever been in Malaysia but will go next week, and booked a beautiful 4-star hotel with swimming-pool and breakfast included for 50 euros, thats not to bad in my eyes, i think here in phnom penh its not cheaper for something similar. Curious also how the city will be and where to find some wateringholes overthere !! ??
One day every week the star newspaper has a nightlife section with a rundown on bars and restaurants in KL. I forget what day it is. They are usually quite fancy places. I'm not sure that section is in thestar.com.my
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm I am knever been in Malaysia but will go next week, and booked a beautiful 4-star hotel with swimming-pool and breakfast included for 50 euros, thats not to bad in my eyes, i think here in phnom penh its not cheaper for something similar. Curious also how the city will be and where to find some wateringholes overthere !! ??
The US Dollar is high right now, giving us Americans a better deal, although its higher against the Euro than it is against the Thai Baht, it was 1.22 USD per euro last year, at present time its 1.05 but it was as low as .99. For the Thai Baht its 35, I think? When i last visited Thailand the Baht was at 32 if im not mistaken so about 10% more for us.

According to what i saw online KL housing prices are similar to what Bangkoks are on airbnb, hotels etc. Personally my budget jumped up a little since 3 years ago. Overall I think Vietnam offers places that are the best value, with Cambodia in 4th place, but i couldn't help but noticing KLs glittering high rises online, and the fact that they offer 3 months free of charge. So we will see, although Bangkok was a lot of fun last time.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I would think most visitors would just completely skip or spend a few days at most in the capital/largest cities in any country.

The reasons for doing so are quite obvious. :hammerhead:

Smaller cities are where the good times are these days. :banana:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:15 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm Curious also how the city will be and where to find some wateringholes overthere !! ??
That's what sux, mostly high end night clubs & spread out, no central strips of night spots.
Freightdog mentioned Reggae bar & I found another place I could watch the world go by, but that was it. Muslim country!
I dunno, I went out for 24 hours straight in KL and it was pretty lit

Unlike BKK and PP though many big clubs don't start popping until 3am and run through until 8/9am

It's similar vibe to Barcelona in that mindight isn't an unreasonable time to go out for your evening meal and everything opens at 11am - midday unlike crack of dawn in PP and BKK
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I just found out they have 7-11 in Malaysia such a godsend.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I found the people are pretty friendly in KL and most speak English so that's a bonus. The place is also relatively clean and organised.

Personally, I dunno I could live in a muslim country for too long tho. Alcohol is not as widely available and expensive. Hasn't got that 'grittiness' for want of a better word that BKK and PP has.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:45 am
Bangkok as a city is much better organized than Phnom Penh IMHO. There's public transport by bus, boat & train, you can easily flag down a metered taxi everywhere, there's efficient mini marts at every corner (except in China town...), the footpaths are generally in use for pedestrians and cars will stop for a crossing or a red light. One way streets are one way streets. Cars turning will use the correct lane, instead of crossing the entire street, blocking it. The concept of giving way is understood in Bangkok, even at crossings for pedestrians. There are bridges so pedestrians van safely cross the main roads. To me, Phnom Penh feels like Bangkok in 80's, but with internet.

Sh*t. You made me rant.
I think drivers give way all the time here in Phnom Penh, in a kind of floating fashion. It is not normal in Asia to make a full stop really.
And they rarely want to turn on this meter in those taxies many cases I've noticed, and just want to double farang charges.
With passapp now you don't have to flag anything, they know where you are going and the fee is fixed. And the drivers ID is known. It's Phnom Penh 2022.
Bangkok traffic seems more vicious and fast imho. I've tried a Grab motorbike several times, and they went at very high speeds between lanes of cars beyond anything I've ever experienced here in Phnom Penh. I'm fine with it, but I don't see a huge difference in the details here. Bangkok is a much larger city, so spending time in the center will of course include more advanced infrastructure. But you see it coming here, for example at the Olympic Mall. Once you get to smaller streets in Bangkok the sidewalks are just like here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:45 am
Bangkok as a city is much better organized than Phnom Penh IMHO. There's public transport by bus, boat & train, you can easily flag down a metered taxi everywhere, there's efficient mini marts at every corner (except in China town...), the footpaths are generally in use for pedestrians and cars will stop for a crossing or a red light. One way streets are one way streets. Cars turning will use the correct lane, instead of crossing the entire street, blocking it. The concept of giving way is understood in Bangkok, even at crossings for pedestrians. There are bridges so pedestrians van safely cross the main roads. To me, Phnom Penh feels like Bangkok in 80's, but with internet.

Sh*t. You made me rant.
I think drivers give way all the time here in Phnom Penh, in a kind of floating fashion. It is not normal in Asia to make a full stop really.
I would call it a pushy fashion.
newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am And they rarely want to turn on this meter in those taxies many cases I've noticed, and just want to double farang charges.
Where? In Bangkok, or in Phnom Penh? Only time I have trouble finding a metered taxi in Bangkok is in the lower sois of Sukhumvit, say 1-13. In Phnom Penh I've never been in a metered taxi. There used to be taxi with the word 'metered' but i haven't seen them for years.
newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am With passapp now you don't have to flag anything, they know where you are going and the fee is fixed. And the drivers ID is known. It's Phnom Penh 2022.
Bangkok has Grab, similar, plus metered taxis, plus boats, plus a BTS system, plus an MRT system. More choices. Bangkok 2022.
Getting around Bangkok has become easier the last decade, getting around Phnom Penh more difficult.
newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am Bangkok traffic seems more vicious and fast imho. I've tried a Grab motorbike several times, and they went at very high speeds between lanes of cars beyond anything I've ever experienced here in Phnom Penh. I'm fine with it, but I don't see a huge difference in the details here.
Yes, traffic is Bangkok is more vicious, which is made possible by drivers obeying the rules. No motorcycles using the curb of the road to drive in the wrong direction, no one driving the wrong way in a one way street, no one crossing the street in front of upcoming traffic and driving on the wrong side of the road for a while so they don't have to give way. No one making a left turn so sharp they enter on the wrong side of the road.
newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am Bangkok is a much larger city, so spending time in the center will of course include more advanced infrastructure. But you see it coming here, for example at the Olympic Mall.
experienced here in Phnom Penh. I'm fine with it, but I don't see a huge difference in the details here.
Phnom Penh isn't a small town, 2-3 million people living there. Infrastructure simply isn't sufficient IMHO and used inefficiently. Local drivers seem experts in grid-locking themselves.
newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am Once you get to smaller streets in Bangkok the sidewalks are just like here.
I don't know which smaller streets you have been to, but I've never seen foothpaths blocked in a Phnom Penh way in Bangkok, except when the street is used as a street market.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic