Shops, ripoff labeling and pricing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Shops, ripoff labeling and pricing

Post by mikeukt »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 am I think it is incompetence more than wilful.

The bigger threat to your wallet is the price of a something being so much more than everywhere else for no explicable reason.

When I first got here I noticed that Lucky had HP sauce. Unfortunately, the price was $6.50 which just looked wrong. After a search in other places I found the real price of about $2.50. But, for many months, Lucky still had them in stock for $6.50.

All I can think is that they got mugged off themselves when they bought it and just applied their standard mark-up for this type of product and waited until they found bigger mugs.
Lucky, Super Duper: they are big players in Cambodia, yes, there staff training is probably 2nd or 3rd rate, but overpricing isn't going to be because they got mugged on the purchase price. The one thing they would do is get there stuff for the cheapest prices they can. Then they just go for the HIGHEST prices they can get away with. Too many examples of that.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

mikeukt wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:14 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 am I think it is incompetence more than wilful.

The bigger threat to your wallet is the price of a something being so much more than everywhere else for no explicable reason.

When I first got here I noticed that Lucky had HP sauce. Unfortunately, the price was $6.50 which just looked wrong. After a search in other places I found the real price of about $2.50. But, for many months, Lucky still had them in stock for $6.50.

All I can think is that they got mugged off themselves when they bought it and just applied their standard mark-up for this type of product and waited until they found bigger mugs.
Lucky, Super Duper: they are big players in Cambodia, yes, there staff training is probably 2nd or 3rd rate, but overpricing isn't going to be because they got mugged on the purchase price. The one thing they would do is get there stuff for the cheapest prices they can. Then they just go for the HIGHEST prices they can get away with. Too many examples of that.
Most of the Lucky's customers are Chinese and they never check the prices so they don't give a damn about the rest of the crowd.
Boredom is like a shroud
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

cabron wrote:Most of the Lucky's customers are Chinese and they never check the prices so they don't give a damn about the rest of the crowd.
I’m sure Chinese check prices … on the things they routinely buy. And they often willing to haggle for a discount.

Probably not big consumers of HP sauce, however.

All a matter of prospective.

My opinions of course.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Just today, we stumbled upon a reasonable buy- I have a penchant for Hawaiian and otherwise fairly colourful shirts. Reasonable price, but only because of the 2 for one offer.
And then we found some nice dresses for the other half. Price was ridiculously low, but consistent with the other racks of (heavily discounted) clothes. I queried it, I confirmed it, and sure enough, the label was correct.
20 minutes later, several fitting room visits and the price has gone up nearly 6 fold. The original label on the dress was for a completely different item.
At this point, I don’t even care if the new ‘proper’ price is still reasonable, we’re walking away.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

mikeukt wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:14 pm

In my experience the Super Duper staff are the best trained of the supermarkets, friendly and polite. The quality of the brands they stock is very poor, and the prices often over the top.

Lucky have a history of sharp practices, not least their 'discounting'. A piece of cheese selling elsewhere for $4 will be $6, but later discounted 50% after having magically been relabeled $10.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I have a shopping receipt from Lucky's which includes a single item for "Garden Centre Cafe N" with a bar code number and a single item price of 15,600KHR.

I have no idea what it is for, I checked my shopping twice at home and there is no item there with that price tag or bar code. It just appeared on the receipt an I didn't check the bill at the time because I couldn't be bothered.

I knew there was no hope of going back and getting it refunded, but next time I go in I will check what that bar code was for and see what I was gouged for.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 pm
cabron wrote:Most of the Lucky's customers are Chinese and they never check the prices so they don't give a damn about the rest of the crowd.
I’m sure Chinese check prices … on the things they routinely buy. And they often willing to haggle for a discount.

Probably not big consumers of HP sauce, however.

All a matter of prospective.

My opinions of course.
Nobody haggles in a supermarket. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

mikeukt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:43 pm A topic always at the back of my mind, then two different situations, two different locations, set it off. Yesterday, a minimart, Big C I think, product on the shelf priced at $2.80, got rung up $3.20 Why, I asked. Answer, that's our new system!!! Today, Lucky Market, a big box of Quality Street priced 56,000 Riel, but looking at the small print under the large price label, a different product name. Went to the checkout and asked, 114,000 Riel. Double the price!

So many time in so many places I've seen the price label on the shelf showing one product name, but the product on the shelf is different and inevitably more expensive than the label price.
pisses me off coz I'm sure it's deliberate. Most supermarket customers check out with a large basket of goods, most wouldn't notice the odd overpriced item. I think SuperDuper seem to do this more than most.

Can't do much, the clerk on checkout is just the hired hand, no point raving at them. Anyone else find this?
Don't rave at them...call a manager over for such gross discrepancies. Also, sometimes it is the customers that mess with those kinds of things. I have seen people move all the product in order to make claims based on placement. The important thing to do is take pictures of labels and shelf pricing and make sure the product matches the label.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:37 am I have a shopping receipt from Lucky's which includes a single item for "Garden Centre Cafe N" with a bar code number and a single item price of 15,600KHR.

I have no idea what it is for, I checked my shopping twice at home and there is no item there with that price tag or bar code. It just appeared on the receipt an I didn't check the bill at the time because I couldn't be bothered.

I knew there was no hope of going back and getting it refunded, but next time I go in I will check what that bar code was for and see what I was gouged for.
It would be this perhaps:

On that subject I stopped buying it a couple of months ago as the quality deteriorated drastically. A pity because it was formerly a very good thick Greek-style product.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:01 pm Nobody haggles in a supermarket. :?
The way prices are going, maybe we should think about starting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic