Bye bye Bali: Indonesia to criminalize sex outside marriage

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bye bye Bali: Indonesia to criminalize sex outside marriage

Post by armchairlawyer »

Robins wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:00 pm Maybe it won't pass, I've been wanting to visit Jakarta but this would take away any nighttime fun. Kuala Lumpur was a nice place last time I was there, hope this silly idea does not spread to Malaysia.
I have had questions asked checking in at a 4* hotel in KL about whether my partner and I are married.
The clerk, a hijab-wearer, was just acting on a frolic of her own I think because when we ignored her, she checked us in anyway.
Overall, we were much more relaxed using hotels in Bali than we were in Malaysia.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Bye bye Bali: Indonesia to criminalize sex outside marriage

Post by ExPenhMan »

As if the legislation banning sex outside marriage wasn't enough . . . The thousands of Aussies living "permanently" in Indonesia, a.k.a., Bali, just got another kick in the head from the government.

The current long-term visas -- minimum income of US$1500/month -- are being scrapped and replaced by a mountainous income requirement. No news on any grandfathering clause. If you're on a long-term visa, you will have 6 months to convert to a new one that requires a minimum US$128,000 cash deposit in an Indo bank!!! That's quite the jump from US$18,000 for the year. And its effective this Saturday! Some good points made my some expats in Bali.

Headline: Indonesia’s foreign retirees fear being driven out as new visa scheme targets ‘filthy rich’
Indonesia's bid to increase international investments with a so-called second-home visa for the wealthy may drive out foreign retirees who have long considered the country their only home.
Under the second-home visa, foreigners can stay in Indonesia for five to 10 years, as long as they have at least 2 billion rupiah (US$128,000) of deposits in their personal accounts at one of Indonesia’s state-owned banks, or proof they own luxury property.
The government hopes the programme will entice billionaires and millionaires, foreign investors, Indonesians abroad, highly skilled workers and wealthy elderly foreign tourists to the country.
“This immigration policy is one of the non-fiscal incentives that can be a stimulus for certain foreigners to stay and contribute positively to the Indonesian economy amid increasingly dynamic global economic conditions,” said Widodo Ekatjahjana, acting director general of Indonesia’s immigration agency at the launch of the visa on October 25.
The new scheme will replace current retirement visa schemes when it is launched on December 24, sparking worry among long-term foreign retirees who permanently live in Indonesia and cannot afford the new thresholds.
More details at link:

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/a ... ilthy-rich
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic