Tax (VAT?) on bus tickets

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tax (VAT?) on bus tickets

Post by Kammekor »

Went to buy some bus tickets today and noticed a 10% tax was added to the ticket price.

Seller told me it's a new tax introduced by the government. It's not a fixed one but a percentage of the price of the tickets. All major bus companies have been forced to introduce this. In the occasional minivan you flag down you might still be able to avoid it.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tax (VAT?) on bus tickets

Post by Bluenose »

New tax or newly enforced tax? The GDT mentions that passenger transport on State owned transport or international transport is non-taxable but I’m not sure if that ever applied to general bus services.
This is where online booking and payment apps can have a downside for businesses, it becomes much harder to hide revenue.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 pm New tax or newly enforced tax? The GDT mentions that passenger transport on State owned transport or international transport is non-taxable but I’m not sure if that ever applied to general bus services.
This is where online booking and payment apps can have a downside for businesses, it becomes much harder to hide revenue.
Most bus transport is neither state owned or international. Think Kampot-Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh - Siem Reap.

Price in the app is up too.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:51 pm
Bluenose wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 pm New tax or newly enforced tax? The GDT mentions that passenger transport on State owned transport or international transport is non-taxable but I’m not sure if that ever applied to general bus services.
Most bus transport is neither state owned or international. Think Kampot-Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh - Siem Reap.

Price in the app is up too.
Yes, I am fully aware of that, thank you anyway for stating the obvious. I mentioned it as in many countries domestic public transport, state owned or otherwise, is either tax exempt or zero-rated. What I don't know is whether that status has changed recently in Cambodia although the relevant GDT web page has a date of 2020 on it.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

In a related question, do any bus companies make the PP-SGN run these days or is it still not happening because of the evisa to Vietnam business. I am thinking of heading over to Vietnam for a while after a couple months in Cambodia and would love to do it the old way, jump on a 12 dollar bus that takes you all the way and not bother with getting a taxi to the border and then another to Saigon on the other side.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:03 am In a related question, do any bus companies make the PP-SGN run these days or is it still not happening because of the evisa to Vietnam business. I am thinking of heading over to Vietnam for a while after a couple months in Cambodia and would love to do it the old way, jump on a 12 dollar bus that takes you all the way and not bother with getting a taxi to the border and then another to Saigon on the other side.
When I checked about 3 weeks ago, Danh Danh were offering 7 departures a day, Giant Ibis are taking bookings online as normal and Long Phuong seems to be operating from what I've seen going along Sihanouk Blvd south of the Olympic Stadium. Phy Phy on St 388 are also up and running.
You might have a problem finding $12 tickets though...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:03 am In a related question, do any bus companies make the PP-SGN run these days or is it still not happening because of the evisa to Vietnam business. I am thinking of heading over to Vietnam for a while after a couple months in Cambodia and would love to do it the old way, jump on a 12 dollar bus that takes you all the way and not bother with getting a taxi to the border and then another to Saigon on the other side.
Those bus trips have been back for months, but much more expensive than pre-Covid. I paid $45 with Giant Ibis in August and their current price is $39 for reference (there might be cheaper options). They did check to ensure that each passenger had a valid eVisa or qualified for visa exempt entry to Vietnam.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Cheers you guys. Glad to see it is happening. Not so glad that it is now triple the price! How do they get away with it? Maybe with any luck and continued influx of tourists it will drop to 20 by the time I want to go.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:06 am Cheers you guys. Glad to see it is happening. Not so glad that it is now triple the price! How do they get away with it? Maybe with any luck and continued influx of tourists it will drop to 20 by the time I want to go.
Just looked back at the Messenger chat with them, Danh Danh was $25 one way or $45 return
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic