The Twitter Files

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Twitter Files

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

A good read:
Alas, the press seems broadly disinterested. Is this because they don’t believe the former president ever made such requests, or is their lack of interest rather stemming from a fear of validating a major story most of them are currently trying to frame — for their own obvious political reasons — as not worth reading?
https://www.piratewires.com/p/the-fifth-estate
Stay classy na
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

When the tail no longer wags the dog ..... Go Elon !!
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Anyone who thinks this is about dick pics is being willfully ignorant.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If you want dick pics you can get them for only $99 each.
Collect them all!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:18 am Anyone who thinks this is about dick pics is being willfully ignorant.
So is anyone who thinks something will change, or has changed, since Musk took over. Under Musk's ruling the terms and conditions have recently been changed so people on twitter not suiting Mr. Musk could be suspended. Twitter is a company, deciding by itself which content it will allow to be published and which content it won't. Just like CNN, or Fox News, or all the others. The fact people assumed Twitter to be unbiased doesn't change that.

Musk has been throwing bits an pieces to the public, hoping it will gain traffic on his platform, so he can earn some of his billions back. When the next Twitter CEO will research how Musk handled Twitter I'm sure just as much dirt will be found. Twitter is there to make money, the rest is just rhetoric.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

“The Twitter Files” hasn’t produced anything more than what was previously known. What a waste of time.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

An interesting analogy of Twitter I stumbled across from Piers Morgan of all people - one of the few things he's said that I agree with him on.

Thousands of years ago, we all lived in small hunter-gatherer groups of a few dozen people. We all shared the same culture, same language, dressed the same, had shared interests and looked out for one another. When we encountered other tribes who looked different to us, had a different culture, different language and different values, our instinct was to kill them.

Twitter is just a modern-day version of this. Before Twitter, and social media in general, we may have been connected to more people than we would have been thousands of years ago, but we still remained largely within our own small 'tribe'.

Today however, we are now connected to a limitless number of people, all around the world, each coming from and feeling like they represent their own tribe, and their first instinct when they come across people with different views, different values and different opinions is to kill them - or the modern day equivalent - cancel them.

Humans are no-where near evolved enough to cope with something like social media. It totally goes against the 2-300,000 years or so of evolution that we've come from, and within a blink of an eye, has given us something we simply cannot deal with in a responsible way.

For a long time now, I have been of the opinion that social media is the monster hiding under the bed, and is far, far more dangerous than people give it credit. If it were up to me, I would simply ban the lot of it until we, as a species, can work out a way of using it properly.

When one of the biggest topics that the world is arguing about in 2022 is 'What is a woman?', you know that something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:26 pm A good read:
Alas, the press seems broadly disinterested.
I thought a disinterested press was exactly what people are bemoaning the lack of.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic