The Twitter Files

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Twitter Files

Post by Kenr »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:42 pm 25 percent of adult Twitter users responsible for 97 percent of posts: study

A new study from Pew Research Center found that 25 percent of U.S. adult Twitter users are responsible for 97 percent of posts in the country.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... sts-study/

Ok, within the US, well that makes sense. So the other 3% are from minors. So why is that relevant?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:09 pm And I agree with you, it's bizarre to me that a social media company has that much power, the system is far from ideal. I suppose with the speed at which society is changing, all based around the internet, issues like this will inevitably arise and fixing something like that is probably difficult and a legal minefield.
Personally, I think the internet or parts of it should be nationalized and treated as a utility.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm
Random Dude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:09 pm And I agree with you, it's bizarre to me that a social media company has that much power, the system is far from ideal. I suppose with the speed at which society is changing, all based around the internet, issues like this will inevitably arise and fixing something like that is probably difficult and a legal minefield.
Personally, I think the internet or parts of it should be nationalized and treated as a utility.
Yeah, not sure what it would look like but it could be a solution.

The problem I could see with that though is recent history.

Imagine if tomorrow the (US - well, almost anywhere really) government suggested doing that. Right away you'd have the opposition party, Alex Jones,Qanon, various news commentators, whackjobs, conspiracy theorists and thousands of trolls and bots on twitter and facebook screaming about big brother trying to suppress free speech,control information, dictate how businesses are run, communists, agenda #36585, comparisons to North Korea and China etc.

It would be a clusterfuck. Politicians would make a big show of opposing every possible solution to pander to their base who'd refuse to recognize actual problems with the current situation because all they'd see is tinfoil hat-type conspiracies. After that happened you could probably forget about anyone trying to fix the problem ever again because it would be political suicide.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Nothing happened to Hillary Clinton, one of the vilest persons on the planet, nothing will happen to him either. Why get my hopes up, these elitist liberals live in a different world and laws really do not apply to them. But I guess you can say the same for the Boeing executives that lied and concealed information from the government and created a frakenplane that killed 346 people. Not one of them will even see the inside of a prison cell either.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Robins wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:08 pm Nothing happened to Hillary Clinton, one of the vilest persons on the planet, nothing will happen to him either. Why get my hopes up, these elitist liberals live in a different world and laws really do not apply to them. But I guess you can say the same for the Boeing executives that lied and concealed information from the government and created a frakenplane that killed 346 people. Not one of them will even see the inside of a prison cell either.
I'm no fan of Clinton but I'm certain she was investigated thoroughly and exonerated. What is she alleged to have done anyway? Something about emails? Doesn't exactly put her on a par with Putin or Kim Il Jong.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:25 pm
Robins wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:08 pm Nothing happened to Hillary Clinton, one of the vilest persons on the planet, nothing will happen to him either. Why get my hopes up, these elitist liberals live in a different world and laws really do not apply to them. But I guess you can say the same for the Boeing executives that lied and concealed information from the government and created a frakenplane that killed 346 people. Not one of them will even see the inside of a prison cell either.
I'm no fan of Clinton but I'm certain she was investigated thoroughly and exonerated. What is she alleged to have done anyway? Something about emails? Doesn't exactly put her on a par with Putin or Kim Il Jong.
American Government is supposed to have 3 branches and the "Deep State" is not one of them. Yea, sure, I'm sure she was held to the same standard any of us would be.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Still waiting. The suspense is killing me.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Nav
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Nav »

Kenr wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:42 pm 25 percent of adult Twitter users responsible for 97 percent of posts: study

A new study from Pew Research Center found that 25 percent of U.S. adult Twitter users are responsible for 97 percent of posts in the country.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... sts-study/

Ok, within the US, well that makes sense. So the other 3% are from minors. So why is that relevant?
Im sorry mate, but thats not what it means.

Its says 25% of adult users are responsible for 97% of the posts.
That means 75% of adult users are redponsible for 3% of the posts.

Nothing to do with minors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic