The Twitter Files

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Twitter Files

Post by Kenr »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:52 am Private companies perceived to have a monopoly power can and do get regulated by the government all the time. During the growth of social media, government regulators were hands off. During the Trump years, government regulators liked what Twitter was doing and encouraged more self censorship, praising Twitter and other social media sites for being responsible.

Now they don’t like Elon Musk want the clamp down..

My opinions, of course.

LOL. WTF are you talking about? “During the Trump years” the previous POTUS and his cronies never praised Twitter or Facebook, only bitched and complained about them and wanted to get rid of any protections social media sites have, Section 230.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:24 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 am
IraHayes wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 am So Elon upheld his promise to release communications surrounding the suppression of the Hunter Biden laptop story by the NYP.
Did he?

He just opened a series of tweets by journalist Matt Taibbi, who had been provided with emails, didn't he? Have actual documents been released?
An email is a document, surely?
Or are you referring to other documents? maybe those from the laptop?
Yes. E-mails are documents, and Matt Taibbi has seen them, but is that releasing documents?
I believe Elon has brought in another journalist and released more docs to them as well. Whether they will be made public, which is what i think you are referring to, remains to be seen.
I do know that a lot of people are asking for public access to them, on twitter
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:48 am
Random Dude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:10 am You have no link for your cut & paste images so it's hard to distinguish if it's actual proven facts, or just the opinion of some keyboard warrior.

But, Tabibi himself said "he'd seen no evidence of any government involvement in the laptop story". It didn't stop Elon, with no supporting evidence, from claiming they did though.

You can read about it here if you're interested....

"Taibbi suggests in his thread that there is “no evidence, that I’ve seen, of any government involvement in the laptop story”—undermining a Republican conspiracy that the FBI was involved in the move to suppress the reporting. Nonetheless, Musk tweeted separately, with no supporting evidence, that Twitter acted “under orders from the government to suppress free speech, with no judicial review.”

www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/ ... e01e827ea6

It sounds to me like twitter is still biased and a great source of bullshit - this time it's coming directly from Elon. But, they're a social media company, they don't claim to be a news source. Like I said previously, this all sounds like a load of 'so what' to me and politicians should probably just be told to say anything they have to say via actual new sources.
At least parts of that text I remember from the thread in question. Like blocking the story from being shared even in DMs. Most of the claims were backed by emails / internal messages.

What's what regarding the Hunter story I have no clue.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it comes out there was some sketchy stuff going on, maybe an ex-employee with a grudge will come out or something.

But, it's a private company, being biased one way or the other probably isn't against the law and they don't even own the company now.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:10 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:24 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 am
IraHayes wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 am So Elon upheld his promise to release communications surrounding the suppression of the Hunter Biden laptop story by the NYP.
Did he?

He just opened a series of tweets by journalist Matt Taibbi, who had been provided with emails, didn't he? Have actual documents been released?
An email is a document, surely?
Or are you referring to other documents? maybe those from the laptop?
Yes. E-mails are documents, and Matt Taibbi has seen them, but is that releasing documents?
I believe Elon has brought in another journalist and released more docs to them as well. Whether they will be made public, which is what i think you are referring to, remains to be seen.
I do know that a lot of people are asking for public access to them, on twitter
Yeah, making public and releasing is slightly different, you're right.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 pm

But, it's a private company, being biased one way or the other probably isn't against the law and they don't even own the company now.
At that time it was in fact a public company

It was pointed out that this sort of pull request was available to all political parties - not just the Democrats

The issue as it's painted is that, of these pull requests that were action-ed, the vast majority were the ones submitted by Dems due to staff bias/office culture bias to the left

Impartiality should be the norm for handling such things - no favour for the Left, no favour for the right - equal consideration and equal action

The vast majority of people operate in the centre - there will always be loonies at either point of the political horseshoe

The loonies shouldn't be shaping public policy or company policy when they have, as in the case of Twitter (checks google) 396.5M active daily users
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:55 pm
Random Dude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 pm

At that time it was in fact a public company

It was pointed out that this sort of pull request was available to all political parties - not just the Democrats

The issue as it's painted is that, of these pull requests that were action-ed, the vast majority were the ones submitted by Dems due to staff bias/office culture bias to the left

Impartiality should be the norm for handling such things - no favour for the Left, no favour for the right - equal consideration and equal action

The vast majority of people operate in the centre - there will always be loonies at either point of the political horseshoe

The loonies shouldn't be shaping public policy or company policy when they have, as in the case of Twitter (checks google) 396.5M active daily users
Ok, public company, I stand corrected. It was probably still legal though.

And I agree with you, it's bizarre to me that a social media company has that much power, the system is far from ideal. I suppose with the speed at which society is changing, all based around the internet, issues like this will inevitably arise and fixing something like that is probably difficult and a legal minefield.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Less than 25% of Americans use Twitter, so it’s pretty much irrelevant what Twitter’s US political affiliation is.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kenr wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 pm Less than 25% of Americans use Twitter, so it’s pretty much irrelevant what Twitter’s US political affiliation is.
Yet that 25% is responsible for 97% of posts.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:36 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 pm Less than 25% of Americans use Twitter, so it’s pretty much irrelevant what Twitter’s US political affiliation is.
Yet that 25% is responsible for 97% of posts.
Not sure where you are getting that 97% from, but it’s irrelevant either way. Roughly 23% of the people in the US use Twitter, and 6% of those users aren’t of voting age, so it’s not a major player in politics.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

25 percent of adult Twitter users responsible for 97 percent of posts: study

A new study from Pew Research Center found that 25 percent of U.S. adult Twitter users are responsible for 97 percent of posts in the country.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... sts-study/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic