The Twitter Files

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Twitter Files

Post by Kenr »

Yes, poor Donald Trump, the billionaire, always the victim. Let’s look at a few of his endeavors:

1, Trump University: Shut down due to making false claims and other illegal activities.

2. Donald J. Trump Foundation: Shut down for self-dealing and other illegal activities.

3. Trump Organization: Already determined in court that the company had been cheating on their taxes for 15 years.

4. Donald J. Trump: Changed his story, I don’t know how many times now, but now is claiming he willfully and intentionally took documents obtained during his presidency, documents that, by law, should have been turned over to the National Archives.

But this is about Biden, so I’ll just list those four (4) things that I could come up with off the top of my head.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

I don't really get it. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my following assumption, as I am not from the US and don't know much about US laws.

Do private companies like Twitter or Facebook have to be politically neutral? No.

Can the political stance of a private company violate the 1st amendment? No.

Should Hunter Biden's private life have influenced the campaign of his father? No. (That would be called a smear campaign, right?)

(Do companies like Twitter have too much power? Probably yes.)
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 am
Random Dude wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:00 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:15 am It was basically a long boring thread saying politicians had a lot of say in who could tweet what. With the Democrats having more access to this type of censoring due to company culture.

Another note was that blocking the content due to policies about hacked data was a false label since there was no hack, rather Hunter Biden had been clumsy when handing over unencrypted data to a repair shop.

Not too interesting but basically, Twitter was not neutral, they sided with the left. Apparently not limited to this topic or even to the US. Elon mentioned similar things going on with the Brazil election. Essentially favoring the left when moderating content.

I don't have a horse in this race, the above is what I gathered from scrolling through the thread.
Thanks for the plain English, no-bullshit answer.

So essentially it's still about whether or not twitter was right to delete naked pics of Hunter Biden then? I'd say of course they were. Fuck left or right politics, Hunter wasn't running for office and even if his laptop wasn't hacked it's a pretty low move taking pics off it and putting them out there. I'd say the same if someone decided to publish naked pics of Baron or Tiffany Trump to get at Donald. It still sounds like a load of nothing to me.

Seems to me that before the owners of twitter were left-leaning, now they're right-leaning - either way you're going to get accusations of bias. twitter should probably just ban all politicians - let them do what they did before - go on TV and say what they have to say with the cameras rolling, and any creative editing by one network will soon get called out by all the other news networks.
ImageImage
You have no link for your cut & paste images so it's hard to distinguish if it's actual proven facts, or just the opinion of some keyboard warrior.

But, Tabibi himself said "he'd seen no evidence of any government involvement in the laptop story". It didn't stop Elon, with no supporting evidence, from claiming they did though.

You can read about it here if you're interested....

"Taibbi suggests in his thread that there is “no evidence, that I’ve seen, of any government involvement in the laptop story”—undermining a Republican conspiracy that the FBI was involved in the move to suppress the reporting. Nonetheless, Musk tweeted separately, with no supporting evidence, that Twitter acted “under orders from the government to suppress free speech, with no judicial review.”

www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/ ... e01e827ea6

It sounds to me like twitter is still biased and a great source of bullshit - this time it's coming directly from Elon. But, they're a social media company, they don't claim to be a news source. Like I said previously, this all sounds like a load of 'so what' to me and politicians should probably just be told to say anything they have to say via actual new sources.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Private companies perceived to have a monopoly power can and do get regulated by the government all the time. During the growth of social media, government regulators were hands off. During the Trump years, government regulators liked what Twitter was doing and encouraged more self censorship, praising Twitter and other social media sites for being responsible.

Now they don’t like Elon Musk want the clamp down..

My opinions, of course.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:10 am You have no link for your cut & paste images so it's hard to distinguish if it's actual proven facts, or just the opinion of some keyboard warrior.

But, Tabibi himself said "he'd seen no evidence of any government involvement in the laptop story". It didn't stop Elon, with no supporting evidence, from claiming they did though.

You can read about it here if you're interested....

"Taibbi suggests in his thread that there is “no evidence, that I’ve seen, of any government involvement in the laptop story”—undermining a Republican conspiracy that the FBI was involved in the move to suppress the reporting. Nonetheless, Musk tweeted separately, with no supporting evidence, that Twitter acted “under orders from the government to suppress free speech, with no judicial review.”

www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/ ... e01e827ea6

It sounds to me like twitter is still biased and a great source of bullshit - this time it's coming directly from Elon. But, they're a social media company, they don't claim to be a news source. Like I said previously, this all sounds like a load of 'so what' to me and politicians should probably just be told to say anything they have to say via actual new sources.
At least parts of that text I remember from the thread in question. Like blocking the story from being shared even in DMs. Most of the claims were backed by emails / internal messages.

What's what regarding the Hunter story I have no clue.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 am So Elon upheld his promise to release communications surrounding the suppression of the Hunter Biden laptop story by the NYP.
Did he?

He just opened a series of tweets by journalist Matt Taibbi, who had been provided with emails, didn't he? Have actual documents been released?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....(Do companies like Twitter have too much power? Probably yes.)
ONLY if the people ( yes the people) allow it

Problem is any tom, dick & harry, ( or sue) can post anywhere and there will always be someone to reposts and so on and than it becomes fact

Remember this, in US politics, every government official serves the people and to defend the constitution
sometimes this gets forgotten
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 am
IraHayes wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 am So Elon upheld his promise to release communications surrounding the suppression of the Hunter Biden laptop story by the NYP.
Did he?

He just opened a series of tweets by journalist Matt Taibbi, who had been provided with emails, didn't he? Have actual documents been released?
An email is a document, surely?
Or are you referring to other documents? maybe those from the laptop?
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Taibbi just participated in a fascinating debate on the question: “Should we trust the main stream media?”

https://vimeo.com/munkdebates/review/77 ... 85003a644c

Admin: I tried the vimeo tool and it didn’t seem to work or I did it wrong. Please feel free to clean it up if you can.
Stay classy na
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 am
Did he?

An email is a document, surely?
Or are you referring to other documents? maybe those from the laptop?
Yes. E-mails are documents, and Matt Taibbi has seen them, but is that releasing documents?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic