Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Post by Grand Barong »

What works best for you & why?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Post by John Bingham »

I've always lived in cities. I like the countryside but only for short periods.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

I currently live about two-three hours outside of Phnom Penh, closer to chbar Mon. It's definitely a preferred choice for my family but, that doesn't mean we don't do a weekly or fortnightly trip into pp for the supermarket trips and cheeses.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

If we speak about Cambodia province life is way too boring there. Most of homes have no AC, very hot outside during the day, not much to do.. besides working or drinking.
However If u live in a village within 20 min drive to city that is another story.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Have always lived in a city, happy to do holidays in the countryside but as I never bothered to learn to drive anything it can be a bit limiting
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

I like living in the province here. I bought a small house with a beautiful garden that I could'nt have afforded in town. People are mostly nice and, the village being quite big and along the NR7, it's not like living in a remote place, without electricity or others facilities (there's even a nice waterpark).
No bars at all, which is not bad as I would spend too much time in. Quiet life, nice landscapes around.
I miss good western restaurants tough, and having some parties from time to time. But it's only a two hours drive to Kampong Cham and four hours to PP, so I can go there easily when I want.

I suppose the place you grew up as a kid (small village near the sea for me) can explain why you prefer city or province. I've never lived in cities, except small ones during my studies and Siem Reap.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I think living in the province long term would drive you a bit crazy and play havoc with your mental health, unless you had issues before of course.
Most of the expats living properly in the provinces of Thailand and Cambodia I have met since coming to this area, some 30 years, were all a little unhinged.

Maybe it draws people lake that.

Short term fine, long term...cuckoo!
People of the world, spice up your life.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I spent the last 5 years in a small town and I am ready to move on. Yes, many things to hate about city life like traffic, pollution, noise, etc. But I am ready for some of the good parts of city life: good restaurants, social scene, gyms, shopping.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

On one hand most of us came to here - a developing country - voluntarily but on the other we require good internet, western foods, good medical and good schooling! (something that is lacking even in big cities, to some degree)

Or we just up sticks and move our family back west for the sake of the "kids education"!
Maybe I am selfish but I have no intention of moving back home for the sake of the above. No way!
Can't afford it for a start plus my wife would hate it after the initial wowness factor and constantly posting on FB and Insta etc.

If my children want to go there when they are older that's up to them.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:27 am I spent the last 5 years in a small town and I am ready to move on. Yes, many things to hate about city life like traffic, pollution, noise, etc. But I am ready for some of the good parts of city life: good restaurants, social scene, gyms, shopping.
I'm doing the opposite. Lived in a small town then moved to PP now moving back.
Had enough of the noise, traffic and pollution. (Traffic itself is not so much an issue as in the amount it is just the constant lookout for lunatics on motos and cars).

And I am a city boy at heart.

I would rather drive around London than PP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic