Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Post by phuketrichard »

As stated, Wood places in Kep are VERY expensive as all wood need be imported (even thou they cut lots of trees to get to the dirt to build the new beach)
my contractor told the wife he lost over $2,000 ( we had agreed on a price/sq M), as so many things he had to redo as i just would not accept
As to never build in Cambodia, that will be easy ( as no intention to return, its her house) <
been there....done that....:-)

PS: what I found about the builders is they have no respect for their work or others work ( the guy that built the house vs the window installer vs the guy that did my doors and wood trim), no pride in their work at all;
its all just a job to them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:50 am
Well, and about family. My mother always told me: 'Family and fish only stay fresh for a day or two'. So I refuse to hire family.
Wise woman!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:05 am
As I said, all in all it costs about 33k for the labor and the parts. The land we bought before, but the prices we paid for the land are irrelevant now. Because we live here we can simply wait for a good chance coming along. I think a piece of land like this close to this location (Ratanakiri province, about 4 km to Ban Lung, not on the main raid) will costs 10-15k these days.
What size of plot would be 10-15k over there?

Amazing views!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Grand Barong wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 am What works best for you & why?
Grew up very country, spent my late teens and all my 20's in big cities

Lived very rural here for a number of years, now living outside a small coastal town

Would like city life again soon but doesn't fit current lifestyle, so hey ho

Ideally I'd like the best of both worlds - nice quiet country home, with land but with a decent metropolis within one hours fast drive for when the release valve needs opening
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:52 pm
As I said, all in all it costs about 33k for the labor and the parts. The land we bought before, but the prices we paid for the land are irrelevant now. Because we live here we can simply wait for a good chance coming along. I think a piece of land like this close to this location (Ratanakiri province, about 4 km to Ban Lung, not on the main raid) will costs 10-15k these days.

Amazing views!
Let's say 1000-1500 sqm.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Amazing views!
Let's say 1000-1500 sqm.
$15 grand in Kep will get ya about 200 sq m :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Amazing views!
Let's say 1000-1500 sqm.
$15 grand in Kep will get ya about 200 sq m :-)
10 Km from here in Teun village it will buy you a mountain. Location, location and facilities....
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Province for me been here near on 6 years had 4 months riverside apartment PP and 2 months Kampot soon got just as bored as in the province. The difference is no pollution and noise in the province. PP is only a moto ride away for a few days every 3-4 months just for a change but I find after 3 days I've had enough of PP. Must be getting old hahaha.

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If that's your house and view it looks awesome.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Thanks, Yep on about an acre, not my place my girlfriends place her mother left her when she passed away.
Another view every afternoon from my man cave out back.

My man cave out back in the far crn of property

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic