Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Province life vs City life, What works for you?

Post by Kammekor »

I've been living in Ratanakiri since I came to Cambodia. The pros are the climate which is cooler, the amount of forest around (not natural, still great for a good walk) and the fact you can live like a king in a nice non detached house with a large garden.
The largest con in obvious, the distance to Phnom Penh. With a crazy driver it can be done in 7 hours, but 8-9 is more realistic. Traveling to Phnom Penh is inevitable. Whenever you need a doc, need meds beyond the 20 most common, need a flight or whatever you have make the trip.

Still... You can live in a really nice place for a relatively low price.This is my office:

And this house cost 33k to build (although during COVID-19):

For those wanting to know, the table under the house is 500$.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

mannanman wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 am
hanno wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:27 am I spent the last 5 years in a small town and I am ready to move on. Yes, many things to hate about city life like traffic, pollution, noise, etc. But I am ready for some of the good parts of city life: good restaurants, social scene, gyms, shopping.
I'm doing the opposite. Lived in a small town then moved to PP now moving back.
Had enough of the noise, traffic and pollution. (Traffic itself is not so much an issue as in the amount it is just the constant lookout for lunatics on motos and cars).

And I am a city boy at heart.

I would rather drive around London than PP.
I want to be able to walk on a pavement without having to keep looking behind me for bikes using the pavement because it's easier than using the road. This includes policemen. Until they set an example, nothing will change. And there is no sign of it happening.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

City life is fine if you can break away from the mainstream. There is very little going on for whites even in the capital, it boils down to a very small community and a few incrowd places that you will grow tired of quickly. Long term, you will find more entertainment at home. It could be painting, cooking or reading the books, which you didn't have time for before. And most of all, spending quality time with your family. I feel more than comfortable in an old building. The rustic atmosphere, no air conditioning needed, no water heater. Have a good fridge and fiber optic to keep everyone entertained. I really appreciate the weather, but most of the time I just sit in my shorts and wifebeater. AC just gives me a cold and makes me sick. I could never wear a suit and tie here, it seems a bit out of context at this point. It's a great place to retreat to. Older men are not completely out of fashion here yet.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i am torn between city and country>
Have lived in major cities, ( HK, San Francisco, Washington DC & Amsterdam) and in Kep & small ski towns in Colorado and currently on a resort island in the Andaman sea

I love the countryside and nature BUT miss being able to have a good meal outside home, shop for groceries and socialize if i chose>
Kep was dam boring and i did not integrate well into the family life> plus no place to go, limited shopping 20 kms away in Kampot.

Thats why i am back in Kamala
I live in a moslem village but only 200 meters to a 7/11, 300 to a 2 different supermarkets, ( Big C & Supercheap) & local markets, plenty of good, affordable street food, Plus western or Thai restaurants, 20 minute ride to a nice new mall with anything one needs
Airport 30 minutes away, choice of 2 international hospitals within 40 minutes or the local clinic 250 meters
add in its 1 km for my wife to drive to work where she makes 2 1/2 x what she made in Kep

300 meters to the sea>

Much prefer call to prayer than Karaoke :-)

Looking out my front door today

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Just met a beauty in the rubber forest.
Luckily before I stepped on it.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:50 pm Just met a beauty in the rubber forest.
Spitting cobra I think
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:54 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:50 pm Just met a beauty in the rubber forest.
Spitting cobra I think
I'm no expert, it was a cobra for sure. Because it was a bit agitated it was easy to see. But it never came up, or came towards me and when I did a few steps back it left and its' neck was like any other snake again.
The color (green) doesn't seem to match the spitting Cobra.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:16 pm
Spitting cobra I think
I'm no expert, it was a cobra for sure. Because it was a bit agitated it was easy to see. But it never came up, or came towards me and when I did a few steps back it left and its' neck was like any other snake again.
I could be wrong but colour can vary substantially from region to region and also depending on age

Main reason I thought spitting cobra was that I can't see a monocle on the hood and it seems a little small for a king
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:31 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:16 pm
Spitting cobra I think
I could be wrong but colour can vary substantially from region to region and also depending on age

Main reason I thought spitting cobra was that I can't see a monocle on the hood and it seems a little small for a king
Yes. I don't think it was a king. Its' behavior fits the spitting Cobra which apparently is relatively gentle during the day but much more aggressive at night. This one wasn't aggressive at all.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Didn't take long for Richard to mention Thailand...
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic