Stowaways take huge risks

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Stowaways take huge risks

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Not unlike stowaways that hitch a ride on a plane's landing gear...huge risks to say the least! :shock:

Three stowaways make 11-day journey on oil tanker’s rudder to Canary Islands

Three stowaways were found on a ship’s rudder in the Canary Islands after an 11-day ocean voyage from Nigeria, Spain’s maritime rescue service said.

The men found on the Alithini II oil tanker at the Las Palmas port on Monday afternoon appeared to have symptoms of dehydration and hypothermia and were transferred to hospitals on the island for medical attention, according to Spain’s Maritime Safety and Rescue Society.

ImageImage

The survivors were all from Nigeria, the Spanish government’s delegation in the Canary Islands said. One of them remained hospitalised on Tuesday.

The maritime rescue agency, known as Salvamento Marítimo, shared a photo of the three men sitting on top of the rudder under the ship’s massive hull with their feet hanging only a few centimetres from the water.

According to the MarineTraffic tracking website, the Malta-flagged vessel left Lagos, Nigeria on November 17 and arrived in Las Palmas on Monday. The distance between the ports is roughly 4600 kilometres.

Other people were previously discovered clinging to rudders while risking their lives to reach the Spanish islands located off north-west Africa. Salvamento Maritimo has dealt with six similar cases in the last two years, according to Sofía Hernández who heads the service’s coordination centre in Las Palmas.

Migrants may seek cover inside the box-like structure around the rudder, Hernández explained, but are still vulnerable to bad weather and rough seas. “It is very dangerous,” she said.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 5c2e1.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63791372
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Stowaways take huge risks

Post by mannanman »

The Alithini II has just got underway 12 hours ago to Gibraltar. less three passengers!

If anyone is interested.
People of the world, spice up your life.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

how desperare must one be to even consider such a trip.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

truffledog wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:55 pm how desperare must one be to even consider such a trip.
Who doesn't want free stuff.
Free housing free health free Education etcetera.
That's the reason they're coming, it has nothing to do with their home circumstance.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, they probably lived in luxury in Nigeria and just decided to hitch up and get free stuff.

Other than that there is no way they travelled anywhere on that. They must have just climbed up there from a dinghy.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm Yeah, they probably lived in luxury in Nigeria and just decided to hitch up and get free stuff.

Other than that there is no way they travelled anywhere on that. They must have just climbed up there from a dinghy.
The truth is I don't really know but I've seen some stuff on YouTube about immigrants abusing the hospitality of European nations for example this video in Ireland.

I can't really comment because I have no idea what's actually happening in Europe because I'm not there.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gary Small wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:58 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm Yeah, they probably lived in luxury in Nigeria and just decided to hitch up and get free stuff.

The truth is I don't really know but I've seen some stuff on YouTube about immigrants abusing the hospitality of European nations for example this video in Ireland.

I can't really comment because I have no idea what's actually happening in Europe because I'm not there.
I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube about racists constantly screaming "they are taking our jobs". "They abuse the hospitality of European nations". "They steal our women". Doesn't mean that I think everyone out there is a racist....
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Possibly but during my time in the SBS it was really difficult to get onto a container ships rudder when at speed, even with my teams expert training.

They hold onto wheel landing gear so this isn’t that difficult to imagine.

(The boathouse is blue and green by the way)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

mannanman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Possibly but during my time in the SBS it was really difficult to get onto a container ships rudder when at speed, even with my teams expert training.

They hold onto wheel landing gear so this isn’t that difficult to imagine.

(The boathouse is blue and green by the way)
Among the risks for stowaways in the aircraft landing gear is the crush issue. There is actually not a lot of obvious space, without some real knowledge of where and how it all folds up when it retracts.

From those photos, though, I would imagine that there is some limited free space in the area above their heads. Sufficient for enough brave, but desperate folks?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That red oxide shows the waterline. That ship has been unloaded and is in port, it will either be loaded with more goods or ballast but it isn't navigable yet. The rudder would of course be far underwater, so I'm not sure about how much use the box-like structure around the rudder would be. Even if none of that applied, and they traveled all that way on a rudder with its top out of the water (?) the turbulence from the propeller and sea would wash them off in no time. :? Fuck knows.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic