Air Fryer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Air Fryer

Post by Gazzy »

Is it worth investing in an Air Fryer?
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Air Fryer

Post by Yobbo »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:11 am Is it worth investing in an Air Fryer?
I have one of these types, use it all the time, easy to clean. Brilliant!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I use mine a lot. Keep in mind that most have a huge footprint (and Asian kitchens are usually small). I have to use mine on the floor.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yes, but with a caveat. I bought one from K-Four about 6 weeks ago and have been trying things out in it.

The first thing to understand is that it is not a fryer, it is a high-speed oven. I tried to make chips (French fries) from (1) raw washed potatoes, (2) soaked in oil and (3) blanched in boiling water then soaked in oil. 1 was hopeless, 2 was pretty rubbish and 3 was ok ish, but it is a lot of faffing about for and takes ages for second-rate French fries. You can't beat a 200c deep fryer for chips. I suppose you could start with oven chips which might be better, but they are disgusting so I didn't try.

On the plus side, it cooks a small chicken in 30-40 mins, turning once. However, there are internal parts it won't cook before the exterior is fully cooked, so a it bit of extra might be needed. You have to turn things as the fan comes from the top so both sides need a blast.

Small pieces of meat, e.g. chicken wings and thighs are great. I make tandoori Chicken pieces which take 10-15 mins and are perfect. Jacket potatoes are great, so too breaded food such as chicken and fish fillets.

I paid $100 for a 8.5L Mayer model, which is a big one. It was on offer, that size is usually much more. I wouldn't bother with anything small like 4L.

It does require constant thorough cleaning. If you miss a bit of crud and it gets another session at 200c for 10 mins, you'll have your work cut out getting it off.

Compared to the old large toaster oven, which took two hours to cook a chicken, it is great. Get yourself an internal meat temp gauge so you don't overcook stuff.

All in all, I am glad I bought it and I'm sure there's plenty more it does well.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I won one in the company's KNY raffle. As above it is great for jacket potatoes and potato wedges (once you get the hang of how to prepare).
Maybe the non-stick coatings vary, but mine cleans really easily.
If you are cooking for more than one or two people, get a big one as Doc67 mentioned
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Great information guys
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:46 am
It does require constant thorough cleaning. If you miss a bit of crud and it gets another session at 200c for 10 mins, you'll have your work cut out getting it off.
I use a sheet of foil then throw it out, haven't cleaned it in ages though they are self cleaning (bowl type).
I'd imagine the other types would be higher maintenance.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:55 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:46 am
I use a sheet of foil then throw it out, haven't cleaned it in ages though they are self cleaning (bowl type).
I'd imagine the other types would be higher maintenance.
Yeah, I do the same on the base, but the tray the food goes on, with its multitude of slits to allow the air to pass through, requires a bit of close attention. A glass bowl would be much easier to clean that a non-stick bases that you have to use a soft cloth, not a scourer.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 am
I haven’t seen one of those before. Interesting. Can you give some more info so I can find one on the internet?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

violet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:21 pm
Yobbo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 am
I haven’t seen one of those before. Interesting
I think these are the older, first generation ones. That bowl looks like it gets very hot. My one is encased in a plastic outer which is warm to the touch, not hot, which suggests decent insulation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic