Air Fryer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Air Fryer

Post by Kuroneko »

violet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:21 pm
Yobbo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 am
Gazzy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:11 am Is it worth investing in an Air Fryer?
I have one of these types, use it all the time, easy to clean. Brilliant!
I haven’t seen one of those before. Interesting. Can you give some more info so I can find one on the internet?
They are actually turbo ovens with air fry capability. I have an Akira model which I bought from Sunsimexco in
PP 10 years ago. I have used it continuously about 4 times per week for mainly roast dinners and pizzas. I paid $45, they are now advertised at $49 https://sunsimexco.com/product/akira-ov ... w-eog-933/

Website here:https://sunsimexco.com/

Note there is also a halogen version for around $70 or $80 but I am not sure which outlet stocks them
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:31 pm
I think these are the older, first generation ones. That bowl looks like it gets very hot. My one is encased in a plastic outer which is warm to the touch, not hot, which suggests decent insulation.
Yes gets very hot!
Would have to be kept well out of way of children.
2nd one I've bought, never burnt myself.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

No thank you. I cook a lot and my meat heavy bachelor diet is a study in simplicity and almost an art form. I rely on my stove/oven - a small cast iron skillet and a cast-iron Dutch oven. I am not interested in any appliances that take up space on my counter that have to be plugged into the wall. The only exception is my kettle which is stainless and has a simple on off switch, and nothing else to program.
Stay classy na
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

violet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:21 pm
Yobbo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 am
Gazzy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:11 am Is it worth investing in an Air Fryer?
I have one of these types, use it all the time, easy to clean. Brilliant!
I haven’t seen one of those before. Interesting. Can you give some more info so I can find one on the internet?
I got the last one on eBay.
I just scrolled through "Air fryer" until they pop up, they don't seem to have a specific category.
Try "Turbo convection oven". All air fryers are just convection ovens with the air travelling at a higher speed.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I like it. As @Doc67 says, more like a fast oven than an air fryer, but that's just a branding issue.

Often cook hassleback potatoes/wedges, chicken thighs/wings etc, and reheat other things.

Once you've got the timings worked out it is useful (better than a toaster oven in 95% of cases, not as good as deep frying (although it was never going to be)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

There is an annoying long ( over an hour long ) video with this subject on one of my you tube channel feeds
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Just showed up on my feed - air fryer fire - fireman said the 6th such he’s attended.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=qC1gEa
Stay classy na
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

David Gordon wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:07 pm No thank you. I cook a lot and my meat heavy bachelor diet is a study in simplicity and almost an art form. I rely on my stove/oven - a small cast iron skillet and a cast-iron Dutch oven. I am not interested in any appliances that take up space on my counter that have to be plugged into the wall. The only exception is my kettle which is stainless and has a simple on off switch, and nothing else to program.
I can relate to that, I always saw them as bit of a useless gimmick I suppose, although to be honest I never bothered looking into what they could do.

Reading through this though, if and when I'm living in a place where a western style oven isn't standard in every kitchen again, I might look into getting one instead of a grill oven which I always used before.

I share your distrust of electrical things and fires though, I'd definitely be unplugging it when not in use.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

I love mine. Perfect for chicken nuggets and wings. And spare ribs. And fish. Always comes out crispy!

It uses a lot less electricity than my oven. About a third I would guess. So there is some saving potential on the power bill if You use it a lot.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

I bought into their popularity earlier this year and purchased one with the hope that it would lead to cooking at home more frequently. That hasn't quite been the case. It works well enough for frozen fries and other frozen foods, but I've yet to get good results for a pork chop (or at least any results that are easier/better than more traditional alternative methods of cooking).

Not a total waste of money, but probably could have continued doing without one...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic