Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
susday
Tourist
United States of America

Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Post by susday »

What are some of the current / latest travel scams in Siem Reap in 2022? Have you ever been a victim?
Hi fellas,
Some friends will be visiting Cambodia (Siem Reap) soon and asked me about scams they should look out for, after they read some gruesome articles online, for example: https://de.hotels.com/go/cambodia/cambodia-common-scams
However, I don't really visit Siem Reap that often.
Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Post by armchairlawyer »

susday wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm What are some of the current / latest travel scams in Siem Reap in 2022? Have you ever been a victim?
Hi fellas,
Some friends will be visiting Cambodia (Siem Reap) soon and asked me about scams they should look out for, after they read some gruesome articles online, for example: https://de.hotels.com/go/cambodia/cambodia-common-scams
However, I don't really visit Siem Reap that often.
Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it.
Vorgewarnt ist gewappnet
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The milk scam disappeared years ago. Taxis and Tuk-tuks are not a problem if you use an app. The touts are not really a scam, just a nuisance. Never encountered the coin collectors. Never rented a bike, so cannot comment. Though in 7 years, I was stopped by the police once. Also: do not change money at the airport.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I've been involved in the card scam & the karaoke scam (both in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam).
They are also in Cambodia though the only problems I've had is;
A set price to see S-21 & the killing fields though they only try & take you to S-21 (Phnom Penh).
A room on Booking.com which is not the one advertised (Siem Reap).
Ordering an Amok from temple club & got a curry with scrambled eggs (Siem Reap). Really pissed off with this one!!! thumbdown
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

First time in SIEM reap taxi got $10 petrol money on the way to hotel from us then wanted $90 up front for ankor trip we refused so he stopped the taxi and told us to get out he won't take us to the hotel.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Tourists cant rent motos in Siem Reap.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Don't bring a stack of $100 bills to your $3 massage parlor.

Don't believe the village doctor can cure <insert terminal disease> with $1000 IV fluid.

Don't buy into that great land deal your first Tuk Tuk driver presents to you.

The bar girls do NOT love you, and chances are their moms ain't that sick.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

OP why not just be honest and say you wrote an article and you are asking for feedback for accuracy.
Stay classy na
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:00 am
A room on Booking.com which is not the one advertised (Siem Reap).
I had a similat problem in Bangkok with a booking.com apartment that was unavailable. I got through to them on the phone fairly easily but they made me wait an hour in case the owner showed up (he was not answering my calls and messages all along). After several more calls to booking.com, they booked me into an alternative.
That one was fine but then the next one was an apartment that was supposed to be 134m2 but in reality was only half of that. Oh, and the owner's little dog bit me.
In fairness to booking.com I had only good experiences booking places outside of Bangkok. Oh wait, there was that bungalow on Ko Muk with the rats...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

That article is a pile of crap, written by someone who has just copy and pasted scams that exist in many countries.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic