Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Post by rozzieoz »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:05 pm That article is a pile of crap, written by someone who has just copy and pasted scams that exist in many countries.
Wow you're harsh.
The author did research and wrote an article, what's your problem?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:05 pm That article is a pile of crap, written by someone who has just copy and pasted scams that exist in many countries.
Yeah, lazy as fuck - probably all of 45 minutes work
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:02 pm
Yeah, lazy as fuck - probably all of 45 minutes work
Dated as fuck too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I saw this being asked on my face so I responded

Beware the ides of march
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:41 pm
Wow you're harsh.
The author did research and wrote an article, what's your problem?
My problem was clearly set out in my criticism. That article was just hackneyed old hand-me-down stories, masquerading as an informative and revelatory article rubbishing Siem Reap. I couldn't be bothered to elaborate further, but as you invited me to, here goes.

Lazy ( or non existent) research: neither tuk tuks nor taxis have meters; Cambodia has excellent taxi apps, there are very few hail and ride taxi opportunities except at the airport in which such scams can occur; there are no "official" currency exchanges.

taking an unnecessarily long route, and saying they have no change.
This happens in every tourist city, every day of the week. They are NOT in any way specific or even the norm, in Siem Reap.

Overpriced souvenirs? Wow, who knew that happens? We really should be warned about that.

Milk Beggars:
She tells you that she needs milk formula for her child, but can’t afford it

Wow, she speaks good English!

As much as it may be emotionally painful to do so, the best thing to do is politely decline the beggar’s request and, instead, give your money to one of the many NGOs operating in Cambodia that supports mothers and infants genuinely in need

Oh, FFS. Not as painful as reading this crap.

Motor bike rental scams - more made-up bollocks. "Never leave your bike unguarded on the street overnight" is good advice here, but the author doesn't know that, because he hasn't done any meaningful research (or probably never been here or even talked to anyone who has.)

I find it ironic that I am defending Cambodia, with all its many many faults, against a lazy twat with a keyboard and an even lazier editor, and you, with your love of all things Cambodian, are giving him a pass and a pat on the back!

Have you banged your head recently?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

At least they made an effort to contribute something, other than just criticizing every other post.

Write something positive, that would be a refreshing change.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Oh, participation trophy congrats then ^^
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

There’s a dirt road off the National Road from the airport to Siem Reap that’s lined with KTV bars. Supposedly the girls working there go out onto the road and pull single guys off their motos when they drive by and whisk them away into those bars for beer and a good time.

Be careful!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:09 am There’s a dirt road off the National Road from the airport to Siem Reap that’s lined with KTV bars. Supposedly the girls working there go out onto the road and pull single guys off their motos when they drive by and whisk them away into those bars for beer and a good time.

Be careful!
Do you have a more precise location? Research purposes, etc*

*I’d say ‘asking for a friend’, but… the concept eludes me
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:09 am There’s a dirt road off the National Road from the airport to Siem Reap that’s lined with KTV bars. Supposedly the girls working there go out onto the road and pull single guys off their motos when they drive by and whisk them away into those bars for beer and a good time.

Be careful!
I think that hasn't been a dirt road for years, it dirtied too many shiny SUV's.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic