How long before visas become hard to get?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by orichá »

Times change. ASEAN makes rules.

How long will it be before getting a long-term visa (of any type) for Cambodia becomes impossible -- unless one is really wealthy, like in Thailand or Indonesia?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by Kenr »

Hopefully never
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

orichá wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:13 pm Times change. ASEAN makes rules.

How long will it be before getting a long-term visa (of any type) for Cambodia becomes impossible -- unless one is really wealthy, like in Thailand or Indonesia?
I have alluded to this several times, it is one of the reasons this country is a no good for me long term. They can slowly drive you out, year by year, with more fees and restrictions. Or not so slowly with a huge FRO notice in the Phnom Penh Post.

But I am a moaner so nobody listens... :cry:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe the purpose of ASEAN is to dictate or make policy for each countries immigration laws as it pertains to visas.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:52 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe the purpose of ASEAN is to dictate or make policy for each countries immigration laws as it pertains to visas.
Then you don't know very much about ASEAN, lol...

"What are the 7 goals of ASEAN?...It has the following components: political development; shaping and sharing of norms; conflict prevention; conflict resolution; post-conflict peace building; and implementing mechanisms."

In fact, many of their norms involve rules about migration within ASEAN, but the group can stipulate a set of rules regarding any type of migration issue. The trend, in case you have not noticed, has been an increasingly more difficult road to long-term residency in several ASEAN countries. One of the reasons Cambodia stiffened the requirements on ordinary visas during the past few years was most definitely a direct response to ASEAN demands for the strict "consistency" of all visa regulations between all member nations.

Personally, I think it won't be long before they slap a whopping demand for a fat bank account statement. The conservative socio-influence in ASEAN is very powerful. Blame it on the ruling class or the Chinese, take your pick...
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

orichá wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:11 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:52 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe the purpose of ASEAN is to dictate or make policy for each countries immigration laws as it pertains to visas.

"What are the 7 goals of ASEAN?...It has the following components: political development; shaping and sharing of norms; conflict prevention; conflict resolution; post-conflict peace building; and implementing mechanisms."

In fact, many of their norms involve rules about migration within ASEAN, but the group can stipulate a set of rules regarding any type of migration issue. The trend, in case you have not noticed, has been an increasingly more difficult road to long-term residency in several ASEAN countries. One of the reasons Cambodia stiffened the requirements on ordinary visas during the past few years was most definitely a direct response to ASEAN demands for the strict "consistency" of all visa regulations between all member nations.

Personally, I think it won't be long before they slap a whopping demand for a fat bank account statement. The conservative socio-influence in ASEAN is very powerful. Blame it on the ruling class or the Chinese, take your pick...
I personally think Cambodia made it easier, for me personally, when they introduced the ER extension. I don’t believe that any country has the same visa requirements. And I read the same purpose of ASEAN that you wrote, and I don’t believe any of those pertain to visas directly or indirectly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

orichá wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:13 pm Times change. ASEAN makes rules.

Or Chinese?
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm

I personally think Cambodia made it easier, for me personally, when they introduced the ER extension. I don’t believe that any country has the same visa requirements. And I read the same purpose of ASEAN that you wrote, and I don’t believe any of those pertain to visas directly or indirectly.
Yes, for me too. I also have an ER. But for those who need EB visas, it is harder to get, and that is because of ASEAN. So, how long will it be before they place stricter requirements on the ER. The obvious trend favors only the rich men, not old hippies, poor artists, and retired backpackers...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I dont think ASEAN in general deals or worries about individual visa situations for foreigners
Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand all offer long term visas, ( granted not cheaply)
Cambodia nope

getting an EB extension in Cambodia if ur legally employed, cant see it changing

FYI
Thailand retirement ( at 50) using an agent NO MONEY IN BANK around $350 /year
Years ago for Thailand you had to show the same 800,000 as now<
BUT only had to be in the bank 1 day

Cambodia (at 55) $300 via an agent, never needed to show any $$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

orichá wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm

Yes, for me too. I also have an ER. But for those who need EB visas, it is harder to get, and that is because of ASEAN. So, how long will it be before they place stricter requirements on the ER. The obvious trend favors only the rich men, not old hippies, poor artists, and retired backpackers...
I doubt ASEAN had anything to do with that, they just decided to start enforcing the letter of the law. The “shaping and sharing of norms”, by definition, has to do with social issues that cost little or no money, not legal issues.

There are several countries I cannot retire in; Laos, Vietnam, Singapore, just to name a few. I doubt they are going to change any time soon and I doubt any other country will adapt to their visa requirements.

So which countries immigration/visa rules is everyone going to follow?

Hell, up to just a few years ago a foreigner over 50 couldn’t marry a local in Cambodia.

ASEAN has been around since 1967, and each country has adopted their own entry/long stay requirements. If anything changes within any of these countries related to visas, it’s of their own choosing and what they believe is best for their country, not because of ASEAN.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic