How long before visas become hard to get?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by Kenr »

Just picked up my 1-year ER extension from Cina Travel, $290 no issues, very simple.

I do have one (1) question for the individuals who claim Cambodia has made it harder to obtain visa extensions over the years. What has changed in the past 5-10 years?

Cambodia was not even on my radar a few years ago due to the fact that they didn’t have a long-stay visa that I qualified for. When Covid hit I started looking at other countries outside of Thailand and found that Cambodia had implemented a new ER extension visa, that’s when I decided to come here.

In my opinion Cambodia has made made it easier, for my situation anyway, to get a long-stay visa.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:49 pm Just picked up my 1-year ER extension from Cina Travel, $290 no issues, very simple.

I do have one (1) question for the individuals who claim Cambodia has made it harder to obtain visa extensions over the years. What has changed in the past 5-10 years?

Cambodia was not even on my radar a few years ago due to the fact that they didn’t have a long-stay visa that I qualified for. When Covid hit I started looking at other countries outside of Thailand and found that Cambodia had implemented a new ER extension visa, that’s when I decided to come here.

In my opinion Cambodia has made made it easier, for my situation anyway, to get a long-stay visa.
Since 2009 - based on my experience, the three changes for renewal are that 1 - I must supply 2 passport photos with the application, 2 must be registered in FCPS and sign a form when applying for renewal since three years ago and 3 - since this month must show proof of WP for renewal
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:49 pm Just picked up my 1-year ER extension from Cina Travel, $290 no issues, very simple.

Ten years ago anyone could get a one year EoS.
Then about eight years ago you had to either be over 55 (ER) and not working - or working, or with a business (EB).
The other nice thing about the Cambodia EoS (for some people) is you never have to leave the country.
Somewhere in those years it also became necessary to do the FPCS and a letter saying what you spend.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 pm

Since 2009 - based on my experience, the three changes for renewal are that 1 - I must supply 2 passport photos with the application, 2 must be registered in FCPS and sign a form when applying for renewal since three years ago and 3 - since this month must show proof of WP for renewal
Is it safe to assume that the main issue here is that the individuals who were using the EB extension, but not working, cannot use it anymore?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Compared to 10 years ago I find it to be easier now, the agents are more professional and speak better English.

Nobody ever mentioned FCPS since it was introduced, I suppose it's handled.
The agent did require a photo last time, that he made himself with his cellphone.

I also pay less now than 10 years ago.

Not saying the sky isn't falling, it might be, I just haven't noticed.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:59 pm

Is it safe to assume that the main issue here is that the individuals who were using the EB extension, but not working, cannot use it anymore?
Only if they can't afford a few hundy to sort a Work Permit through an agent
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 pm

If I recall well the work permit has been an obligation since 2017 (2016?). The new thing now is the tax paper AFAIK. For the EB extension that is.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Yes. It’s been a requirement for a long time but not enforced.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:59 pm Is it safe to assume that the main issue here is that the individuals who were using the EB extension, but not working, cannot use it anymore?
Not just those, also the ones using the EG extension (looking for work) to stay here for a longer period of time. They used to be able to renew that one every six month in country without any paperwork required, providing them with a six month multi entry visa.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:24 pm Yes. It’s been a requirement for a long time but not enforced.
They for sure enforced it on me. Still have two of those cards lying around somewhere.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic