How long before visas become hard to get?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:12 pm
mi1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:40 am After officially living(wp, taxes, ..) and working here for 7 years (where last 3 years work on projects for Cambodia government) i feel disappointed there's no long term/permanent visa possibilities.
After living here for 7 yrs you are eligible for Citizenship via Naturalisation, so there is a possibility.
Is this a viable option for ordinary mortals like us, or is it technically available but in practice will just wear you down with the document run-around game until they find something you can't comply with or just give up?
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:12 pm After living here for 7 yrs you are eligible to apply for Citizenship via Naturalisation, so there is the possibility of never needing a Visa EOS ever again.
Yes but then i have to give up me EU citizenship, which is not acceptable.. and i didn't research much but this naturalization process is somehow dodgy too, feels like hard to do without bribes.
It's not really an option for most of long term expats.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

mi1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:26 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:12 pm After living here for 7 yrs you are eligible to apply for Citizenship via Naturalisation, so there is the possibility of never needing a Visa EOS ever again.
Yes but then i have to give up me EU citizenship, which is not acceptable.. and i didn't research much but this naturalization process is somehow dodgy too, feels like hard to do without bribes.
Why? Plenty of rich Cambodians with EU passports.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:32 pm Why? Plenty of rich Cambodians with EU passports.
Yes and i am not rich Cambodian. Again i didn't research in details but as far as i know for Khmer (who got they passport because they were born in Cambodia or they parents are Khmer) is allowed to have double citizenship but if u apply by naturalization process u must give up all your citizenship's.

I heard some stories that Chinese can get Khmer citizenship and keep they Chinese by providing fake certificates that they no longer Chinese.. (cause there's no way for Cambodian goverment actually check if u did it or not) but then again we speak about legal way of doing things.
Last edited by mi1 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:32 pm
My country (EU member) doesn't allow me dual citizenship too. If they brought me a Cambodian passport for free I would refuse it. It's not an EU thing, it's a national law that applies.
My kid can have dual citizenship because the parents have a different nationality but I don't, so....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm
My country (EU member) doesn't allow me dual citizenship too. If they brought me a Cambodian passport for free I would refuse it. It's not an EU thing, it's a national law that applies.
My kid can have dual citizenship because the parents have a different nationality but I don't, so....
Interesting. I thought countries that didn't permit duals citizenship were the more authoritarian types, not the laid-back place you come from.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:51 pm
Interesting. I thought countries that didn't permit duals citizenship were the more authoritarian types, not the laid-back place you come from.
Many don't know, some find out too late unfortunately....
Last edited by Kammekor on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

mi1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:32 pm Why? Plenty of rich Cambodians with EU passports.
Yes and i am not rich Cambodian. Again i didn't research in details but as far as i know for Khmer (who got they passport because they were born in Cambodia or they parents are Khmer) is allowed to have double citizenship but if u apply by naturalization process u must give up all your citizenship's.
If you obtain Cambodian Citizenship via Naturalisation you are not required to give up your other Citizenship under Cambodian Law, that's a load of rubbish! You would only need to renounce your other Citizenship if that country had laws which didn't permit dual Citizenship.

As to whether it is a viable option, as long as you speak Khmer fluently, read & write basic Khmer, have a basic knowledge of Cambodian history and culture, and are organised enough to collect all of the required supporting documentation, then yes it is rather simple and inexpensive, not a quick process though unless you're willing to pony up about 25K and/or are well connected.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Is your favorite colour orange?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Is your favorite colour orange?
Loads of us do love that color, yes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic