How long before visas become hard to get?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by mannanman »

Just like when they introduced stricter laws on the business letter in 2016 the agents found a workaround.
Same for when they introduced the tax patent for EB EOS. Agents found a workaround.
I’d imagine they can still do the EB plus get a WP.

Nothing has changed apart from the expense. The money filters down, or up on this case.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm About your tax rant... Cambodia lacks the legal framework to pay those taxes.
No, it doesn't, you register your business. If your business is completely unconnected with your being in Cambodia then you are not entitled to a long-term visa.
[/quote]

Exactly, and that's weird, because there might be other reasons you stay here.
And if there was a digital nomad visa class for instance, with a legal framework, the Cambodian government could profit from that.
Why would Cambodia refuse, for instance, an airline pilot flying for Bangkok Airways to stay here long time? As per the current laws and legal framework the pilot would stay here based on fake paperwork and indeed not pay any taxes. Why they don't introduce visa classes and legal framework is beyond me.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

How long before visas become hard to get for tax dodgers?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Maybe this should be split into two threads
How long before visas become hard to get
(a) fraudulently?
(b) legitimately?
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Taxes shouldn't be levied on a few freelancers here, it would amount to nothing more than paying for a few SUV tires. They should be levied on corporation tax, which is not possible with foreign corporations. If you're big enough and rich enough, it'll be free, with no fees, and in many cases with a tax-deductible loss on the main balance sheet. Why are we wasting time with a few losers here?

There is a natural tax on being white here, the price should be at least double for all foreigners. Go to the Russian market, hence the beer ring price issue where foreigners are supposed to pay 1000 riels by many vendors. Today, people are in a rush to levy taxes on self-employed online earnings, which in most cases are very low to begin with. I guess all some people want is business people in fancy suits and luxury vehicles, and all the regular people trying to keep it together here are attacked like lawless scum.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

newsgatherer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:00 am Taxes shouldn't be levied on a few freelancers here, it would amount to nothing more than paying for a few SUV tires. They should be levied on corporation tax, which is not possible with foreign corporations. If you're big enough and rich enough, it'll be free, with no fees, and in many cases with a tax-deductible loss on the main balance sheet. Why are we wasting time with a few losers here?

There is a natural tax on being white here, the price should be at least double for all foreigners. Go to the Russian market, hence the beer ring price issue where foreigners are supposed to pay 1000 riels by many vendors. Today, people are in a rush to levy taxes on self-employed online earnings, which in most cases are very low to begin with. I guess all some people want is business people in fancy suits and luxury vehicles, and all the regular people trying to keep it together here are attacked like lawless scum.
What?

You are a glass half full kinda guy, eh.
People of the world, spice up your life.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

I do not think there will be any issue to extend visa for people who are legally working here. However is still annoying that u have to do it every year.
After officially living(wp, taxes, ..) and working here for 7 years (where last 3 years work on projects for Cambodia government) i feel disappointed there's no long term/permanent visa possibilities. If i get fired 1 week before visa expiration day then by law i should leave country and they do not care about what i have here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newsgatherer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:00 am Taxes shouldn't be levied on a few freelancers here, it would amount to nothing more than paying for a few SUV tires. They should be levied on corporation tax, which is not possible with foreign corporations. If you're big enough and rich enough, it'll be free, with no fees, and in many cases with a tax-deductible loss on the main balance sheet. Why are we wasting time with a few losers here?
Enough of your squirming. You'll pay taxes like everyone else - or you can go and dodge taxes in another country.
There is a natural tax on being white here, the price should be at least double for all foreigners. Go to the Russian market, hence the beer ring price issue where foreigners are supposed to pay 1000 riels by many vendors.
What? Russian market hence beer pull prices? WTF is that supposed to mean? Everyone pays 500 Riel for the "free" cans, foreigner or local. These foreigners with persecution complexes are annoying as hell.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

mi1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:40 am After officially living(wp, taxes, ..) and working here for 7 years (where last 3 years work on projects for Cambodia government) i feel disappointed there's no long term/permanent visa possibilities.
After living here for 7 yrs you are eligible to apply for Citizenship via Naturalisation, so there is the possibility of never needing a Visa EOS ever again.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic