How long before visas become hard to get?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by Grand Barong »

Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:19 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:09 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:42 pm
orichá wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:13 pm Times change. ASEAN makes rules.

How long will it be before getting a long-term visa (of any type) for Cambodia becomes impossible -- unless one is really wealthy, like in Thailand or Indonesia?
I have alluded to this several times, it is one of the reasons this country is a no good for me long term. They can slowly drive you out, year by year, with more fees and restrictions. Or not so slowly with a huge FRO notice in the Phnom Penh Post.

But I am a moaner so nobody listens... :cry:
Most countries rely on tourist dolla and still they make it kind of harder to stay there longterm. We contribute to the development of the countries, dont depend on their local welfare and dont steal anybody's job. We should be more welcome?
Last night I was sitting at an outside table at 130 Gastropub when a guy came up to me and asked for $.50. I was about to give him some money but decided against it. He walked over to the other two (2) outside tables that had people and was begging from them. Couldn’t tell by his accent where he was from but he was looking a little rough.

Is this the type of person that contributes to the development of their country? Is this the type of person that’s not looking for welfare? Should this individual even be in a foreign country?

In my opinion this is the type of thing that causes countries to strictly enforce or even modify their long-stay visa requirements.
Is that a serious comment?? Someone who is destitute & begging is most likely to be suffering from some kind of addiction that has derailed their life for one reason or another, Not representative of the majority of visa holders.

You think guys begging for 50cents, changes Government immigration policies? :lol:

You were going to "give him some money but decided against it" What swayed your opinion?
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:19 pm Last night I was sitting at an outside table at 130 Gastropub when a guy came up to me and asked for $.50. I was about to give him some money but decided against it. He walked over to the other two (2) outside tables that had people and was begging from them. Couldn’t tell by his accent where he was from but he was looking a little rough.

Is this the type of person that contributes to the development of their country? Is this the type of person that’s not looking for welfare? Should this individual even be in a foreign country?

In my opinion this is the type of thing that causes countries to strictly enforce or even modify their long-stay visa requirements.
I've been approached by a barang asking for 2,000 Riel a couple of times quite recently. My guess would be that people like that are unlikely to have current visas, so tightening requirements would have no effect on them unless they stopped issuing barangs tourist visas altogether. They just don't renew.

By all means let them enforce the rules as they stand, but how likely is it that this guy will be picked up by the police in the event that he doesn't cause any kind of disturbance ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:55 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:50 pm How long before visas become hard to get ( for dodgy people with no valid paperwork)?
I was thinking along the same lines, is the OP talking about people who currently obtain their visas because they legitimately qualify for them or for those who don't?
For many people the problem is there is no legal visa available. Think people working remotely, digital nomads, not necessarily the poorest and a group some countries do welcome. Cambodia hasn't discovered them yet.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Grand Barong wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:57 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:19 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:09 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:42 pm
orichá wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:13 pm Times change. ASEAN makes rules.

How long will it be before getting a long-term visa (of any type) for Cambodia becomes impossible -- unless one is really wealthy, like in Thailand or Indonesia?
I have alluded to this several times, it is one of the reasons this country is a no good for me long term. They can slowly drive you out, year by year, with more fees and restrictions. Or not so slowly with a huge FRO notice in the Phnom Penh Post.

But I am a moaner so nobody listens... :cry:
Most countries rely on tourist dolla and still they make it kind of harder to stay there longterm. We contribute to the development of the countries, dont depend on their local welfare and dont steal anybody's job. We should be more welcome?
Last night I was sitting at an outside table at 130 Gastropub when a guy came up to me and asked for $.50. I was about to give him some money but decided against it. He walked over to the other two (2) outside tables that had people and was begging from them. Couldn’t tell by his accent where he was from but he was looking a little rough.

Is that a serious comment?? Someone who is destitute & begging is most likely to be suffering from some kind of addiction that has derailed their life for one reason or another, Not representative of the majority of visa holders.

You think guys begging for 50cents, changes Government immigration policies? :lol:

You were going to "give him some money but decided against it" What swayed your opinion?
Do you think an individual like this, who had the possibility of becoming destitute, should have been allowed into the country? Would you be ok with this happening in your home county?

Do I think it changes government immigration policies? It could. That’s what this thread is about, right? I don’t believe immigration policies are changed/tightened through ASEAN, but could become stricter here by assuring individuals have pensions and/or adequate funds, such as they do in other SE Asian countries, if individuals like this gentleman become a common thing.

What changed my mind? There are a shit load of kids trying to sell me things every night, flowers, gum, fruit, and I don’t buy from them, so why give money away for nothing? To continue to enable this person? No.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Stravaiger wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:00 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:19 pm Last night I was sitting at an outside table at 130 Gastropub when a guy came up to me and asked for $.50. I was about to give him some money but decided against it. He walked over to the other two (2) outside tables that had people and was begging from them. Couldn’t tell by his accent where he was from but he was looking a little rough.

I've been approached by a barang asking for 2,000 Riel a couple of times quite recently. My guess would be that people like that are unlikely to have current visas, so tightening requirements would have no effect on them unless they stopped issuing barangs tourist visas altogether. They just don't renew.

By all means let them enforce the rules as they stand, but how likely is it that this guy will be picked up by the police in the event that he doesn't cause any kind of disturbance ?
I agree, that’s pretty much what I’ve been saying in this thread, Cambodia is just enforcing the rules as written, but it seems that those rules are affecting a person or two on here.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:50 pm How long before visas become hard to get ( for dodgy people with no valid paperwork)?
I was thinking along the same lines, is the OP talking about people who currently obtain their visas because they legitimately qualify for them or for those who don't?
No, I was thinking about local government policy and its alignment with ASEAN only ...

(By the way, thanks for that deep sociological insight, John... St. Patrick would be proud to know none of the deportees will be going back to Ireland, since he chased out all the snakes ages ago...

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/hist ... es-ireland
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:04 pm
For many people the problem is there is no legal visa available. Think people working remotely, digital nomads, not necessarily the poorest and a group some countries do welcome. Cambodia hasn't discovered them yet.
If there is no legal visa available for you then you shouldn't be here. Not really that complicated is it? Go be a digital nomad somewhere else, especially as I bet they don't pay any VAT or withholding tax or tax on your earnings to the Cambodian government
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:08 pm
If there is no legal visa available for you then you shouldn't be here. Not really that complicated is it? Go be a digital nomad somewhere else, especially as I bet they don't pay any VAT or withholding tax or tax on your earnings to the Cambodian government
They used to be able to obtain an EB extension without questions asked. And still were until October 2022, although with fake paperwork. The question is when the law will actually be enforced and they can not apply anymore.

About your tax rant... Cambodia lacks the legal framework to pay those taxes.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:08 pm
If there is no legal visa available for you then you shouldn't be here.
Bye bye non working foreign parents of Cambodian children .Bye bye non working legal spouses of Cambodian citizen.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

About your tax rant... Cambodia lacks the legal framework to pay those taxes.
[/quote]

No, it doesn't, you register your business. If your business is completely unconnected with your being in Cambodia then you are not entitled to a long-term visa.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic