Anyone have experience with Sky Angkor Airlines?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Anyone have experience with Sky Angkor Airlines?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello forum,

My wife and I have tickets as far as Bangkok and are looking at Sky Angkor Airlines for the last leg. It seems to have very little record online but we are considering it as the rate is good.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this airline that we should know before we book?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anyone have experience with Sky Angkor Airlines?

Post by armchairlawyer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:58 am Hello forum,

My wife and I have tickets as far as Bangkok and are looking at Sky Angkor Airlines for the last leg. It seems to have very little record online but we are considering it as the rate is good.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this airline that we should know before we book?
I have used them several times, always booked through trip.com. No problems.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

They have a 4/10 rating on Skytrax. By some of the reviews you might want to be careful with how much luggage you have, it appears they have a hefty charge.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Consider Lanmei, they are a little more expensive but include 20kg of checked baggage and have very civilised flight times.

The downside is their website is close to useless and you get directed to a page which is not secure. Just book through Trip.com or MyTrip.com and that works fine.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thanks armchairlawyer. We will have a lot of baggage. Are they generally pretty straightforward when it comes to their baggage allowances?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:14 am Thanks armchairlawyer. We will have a lot of baggage. Are they generally pretty straightforward when it comes to their baggage allowances?
Cambodia Airways offer 30kg of free allowance.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:14 am Thanks armchairlawyer. We will have a lot of baggage. Are they generally pretty straightforward when it comes to their baggage allowances?
Thanks Kammekor, According to Sky Angkor Air, they allow a total of 40 kg for two pieces. I think they mean both of the pieces added together equal 40 kg.

On the standard international flight we'll be using to get to BKK its 23 kg * 2 is 46 kg per passenger.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:12 am Consider Lanmei, they are a little more expensive but include 20kg of checked baggage and have very civilised flight times.

The downside is their website is close to useless and you get directed to a page which is not secure. Just book through Trip.com or MyTrip.com and that works fine.
Thanks! I'll check that out as an alternative.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:37 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 am
Thanks Kammekor, According to Sky Angkor Air, they allow a total of 40 kg for two pieces. I think they mean both of the pieces added together equal 40 kg.

On the standard international flight we'll be using to get to BKK its 23 kg * 2 is 46 kg per passenger.
This is the problem with stopping over, rather than a through ticket. You are trying to stuff 23kg long haul luggage into bargain basement short haul allowances of 7kg for hand luggage and 20kg bags at $50 a pop.

The baggage charges and ridiculously light hand luggage is making flying more unpleasant than it ever was.

As a side note, I was on an Air Asia flight recently and was stuck in a window seat. The legroom was the tightest I have ever seen, my knees where flush with the seat in front and I am not that tall. My friend is 6ft 2 and was noticeably crammed in, to the point of discomfort. I don't know if this is a new generation of cabins but, if so, flying just got more miserable. On the return leg we paid for an emergency exit seat at $40 each.

For me, Air Asia has now become an extra legroom flight or not at all.

Edit: I just had a look at Seat Guru and discover that Air Aisa has a seat pitch of 29" which is a f**king piss take.

Last edited by Doc67 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yes, 40kg allowancxe when I travelled, no problems. They also opened their check-in at BKK 3 hours before departure. That means shorter lines. The equipment is an A321, so a lot of pax if it's full, but with so many BKK-PNH flights, it raerely is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic