Urinary Tract Infection

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Urinary Tract Infection

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:46 pm
Well you chose the "lucky" way and not the safe way. While ciprofloxacin will MOSTLY help in a UTI case a URINE CULTURE would have EXACTLY defined the bacteria causing the problem and the SPECIFIC antibiotic would have been prescribed that kills the bacteria in a PROVEN sensibilty test.

Better safe than sorry.
This is about a common non invasive urinary tract infection here, not a serious condition. Doing a culture for a non invasive UTI might be the safest way, but it for sure isn't the recommended way because in 99% of the cases it's a waste of resources and money. If she doesn't respond to Cipro, which is very uncommon, she might need it. But the odds are she will be fine after 5 days. And that's about how long it takes to grow the culture, assuming there's a viable culture. Cultures from urine are pretty difficult. Loads of water, relatively few bacteria.....

To the OP. You might want to check on Cipro a little bit and discuss it with you GF. It has the risk of kidney stones when you don't drink enough water and it can't be taken with calcium rich food or drinks. Generally Khmer don't eat calcium rich food but some like morning glory, sesame seeds or enhanced drinks.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:21 pm
Well you chose the "lucky" way and not the safe way. While ciprofloxacin will MOSTLY help in a UTI case a URINE CULTURE would have EXACTLY defined the bacteria causing the problem and the SPECIFIC antibiotic would have been prescribed that kills the bacteria in a PROVEN sensibilty test.

Better safe than sorry.
This is about a common non invasive urinary tract infection here, not a serious condition.

There is a certain risk that you are wrong. It can easily develop into one.

Doing a culture for a non invasive UTI might be the safest way, but it for sure isn't the recommended way because in 99% of the cases it's a waste of resources and money.

99%? I seriously doubt that. Its never a waste of money going the safe path

If she doesn't respond to Cipro, which is very uncommon, she might need it.

In this case you will probably have a resistant bacteria and the shit is cooked. This does not happen when you follow the urine culture and the antibiogram

But the odds are she will be fine after 5 days.

odds ? no need to gamble as there is a safe way/procedure

And that's about how long it takes to grow the culture, assuming there's a viable culture. Cultures from urine are pretty difficult. Loads of water, relatively few bacteria.....

Cultures dont need 5 days to grow. Usually results are available in 24 hours (no bacteria growth at all) or maximum of 72 hours.

It has the risk of kidney stones when you don't drink enough water and it can't be taken with calcium rich food or drinks. Generally Khmer don't eat calcium rich food but some like morning glory, sesame seeds or enhanced drinks.

very important advice
work is for people who cant find truffles
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Better safe than sorry.
This is about a common non invasive urinary tract infection here, not a serious condition. Doing a culture for a non invasive UTI might be the safest way, but it for sure isn't the recommended way because in 99% of the cases it's a waste of resources and money. If she doesn't respond to Cipro, which is very uncommon, she might need it. But the odds are she will be fine after 5 days. And that's about how long it takes to grow the culture, assuming there's a viable culture. Cultures from urine are pretty difficult. Loads of water, relatively few bacteria.....

To the OP. You might want to check on Cipro a little bit and discuss it with you GF. It has the risk of kidney stones when you don't drink enough water and it can't be taken with calcium rich food or drinks. Generally Khmer don't eat calcium rich food but some like morning glory, sesame seeds or enhanced drinks.
Thanks for the advice to check out the medication. I already did before I posted the update. I was totally clueless on what it was. I thought I better check out what she was taking. Surprisingly my girlfriend is right into milk and yogurt.

Your advice was still helpful in that I didn't know morning glory was high in calcium. The family likes morning glory,.

Now you have started me on a new Google search to determine what foods are high in calcium.

Appreciate the advice.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Better safe than sorry.
This is about a common non invasive urinary tract infection here, not a serious condition.

There is a certain risk that you are wrong. It can easily develop into one.

Doing a culture for a non invasive UTI might be the safest way, but it for sure isn't the recommended way because in 99% of the cases it's a waste of resources and money.

99%? I seriously doubt that. Its never a waste of money going the safe path

If she doesn't respond to Cipro, which is very uncommon, she might need it.

In this case you will probably have a resistant bacteria and the shit is cooked. This does not happen when you follow the urine culture and the antibiogram

But the odds are she will be fine after 5 days.

odds ? no need to gamble as there is a safe way/procedure

And that's about how long it takes to grow the culture, assuming there's a viable culture. Cultures from urine are pretty difficult. Loads of water, relatively few bacteria.....

Cultures dont need 5 days to grow. Usually results are available in 24 hours (no bacteria growth at all) or maximum of 72 hours.

It has the risk of kidney stones when you don't drink enough water and it can't be taken with calcium rich food or drinks. Generally Khmer don't eat calcium rich food but some like morning glory, sesame seeds or enhanced drinks.

very important advice
When you never cross the road, you can not be hit by a car.

Our risk perception doesn't match.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Newinkow wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:10 pm

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice to check out the medication. I already did before I posted the update. I was totally clueless on what it was. I thought I better check out what she was taking. Surprisingly my girlfriend is right into milk and yogurt.

Your advice was still helpful in that I didn't know morning glory was high in calcium. The family likes morning glory,.

Now you have started me on a new Google search to determine what foods are high in calcium.

Appreciate the advice.
GOOD. Never too old to learn... IMHO doc should have mentioned it but I recall a clash with my (great!) GP years ago not mentioning it too.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Ciprofloxacin is the indicated first line treatment. Cultures are usually needed IF there is no response.

Cranberry juice is a good idea, I bought three 2 liter bottles of it for missus last time. She refused and would only drink the small 8 oz juice cocktail (watered down and super sweet).

Good luck.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:22 pm When you never cross the road, you can not be hit by a car.

Our risk perception doesn't match.
Completely agreed. Lets hope the first line treatment works fine.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

@Newinkow

You've probably already bought the ciprofloxacin, but what hasn't been mentioned is the amount of fake or low quality medications here. Not so much AB's but anything essential for your health should be acquired with caution.

The best pharmacy here is Pharmacie de le Gare, on the corner of 108 and Monivong, and Victoria pharmacy on street 110/5 is also well regarded. They are more expensive, so brace yourself.

If you are going to go feral with your medication purchases, always check that what is written on the outer box is the same as what is in the box, the dosage is correct and the expiry date is well into the future.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:40 am @Newinkow

You've probably already bought the ciprofloxacin, but what hasn't been mentioned is the amount of fake or low quality medications here. Not so much AB's but anything essential for your health should be acquired with caution.

The best Pharmacy here is Pharmacie de le Gare, on the corner of 108 and Monivong, and Victoria pharmacy on street 110/5 is also well regarded. They are more expensive, so brace yourself.

If you are going to go feral with your medication purchases, always check that what is written on the outer box is the same as what is in the box, the dosage is correct and the expiry date is well into the future.
I generally use Saravoan Decho Pharmacie on the corner of 172 and 19 (north of the crossing). They have a very decent selection of medicines, both branded (real branded) and generic and their prices are generally 50% or less than what de la Gare or Victoria would charge.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:28 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:40 am @Newinkow

The best Pharmacy here is Pharmacie de le Gare, on the corner of 108 and Monivong, and Victoria pharmacy on street 110/5 is also well regarded. They are more expensive, so brace yourself.

I generally use Saravoan Decho Pharmacie on the corner of 172 and 19 (north of the crossing). They have a very decent selection of medicines, both branded (real branded) and generic and their prices are generally 50% or less than what de la Gare or Victoria would charge.
I didn't get the prescription filled at a pharmacy. The doctor had a boxes of the medicine in her office, she hand me a box. From the label on the box it looks like it's from Denk Pharma. Registered and made in Germany. Cost me $5.60.

Don't know if that's a good price or not but I figure she would know if it's fake or not and save me the hassle of filling the prescription at a dodgy pharmacy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic