Urinary Tract Infection

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Urinary Tract Infection

Post by Freightdog »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:02 pm
mannanman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm Doxycycline 100mg twice daily after food.

You’re welcome.
YES i can attest to this !! I went to the doctor this past summer for same thing. Unsure if was prostate or what. They also tested for std which came back negative ( thank god) but they prescribed Doxy and it worked! When returned to NYC i also went to doctor and they said i was good to go. I just wanted to make sure because i was initially seen in Cambodia.

This is the place that I went too. I felt it was professional and recommend it.

https://european-medicare.com/
I would take a moment before prescribing medicines for people. It’s one thing when you know the actual condition, but this is entirely different.

In SWMBO’s niece’s case, she was prescribed some meds by a ‘doctor’ who decided without much effort that she had a particular condition- salty urine. However, the medications prescribed were in fact the very last thing that she should have taken because of the potential side effects in a patient with renal issues. She was also on several drips, despite being unable to pass urine.
By the time that this was discovered, her actual improperly diagnosed condition, along with several months of antibiotics- yes, months- was so degraded that her best course of treatment was to ease her passing.

I previously saw this girl just before COVID stopped all travel. She was a fit mid twenties, lithe girl, with two young daughters. When she complained of whatever condition was making her feel unwell, she still looked normal. 6 months later, she had 3 months left, in constant pain, and most days could barely walk, and died at 28 looking like she was in late middle age, and never saw her kids again. They didn’t even recognise their mother.

Get the diagnosis.
Then get the meds.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:29 pm
mannanman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm Doxycycline 100mg twice daily after food.

You’re welcome.
YES i can attest to this !! I went to the doctor this past summer for same thing. Unsure if was prostate or what. They also tested for std which came back negative ( thank god) but they prescribed Doxy and it worked! When returned to NYC i also went to doctor and they said i was good to go. I just wanted to make sure because i was initially seen in Cambodia.

I would take a moment before prescribing medicines for people. It’s one thing when you know the actual condition, but this is entirely different.

In SWMBO’s niece’s case, she was prescribed some meds by a ‘doctor’ who decided without much effort that she had a particular condition- salty urine. However, the medications prescribed were in fact the very last thing that she should have taken because of the potential side effects in a patient with renal issues. She was also on several drips, despite being unable to pass urine.
By the time that this was discovered, her actual improperly diagnosed condition, along with several months of antibiotics- yes, months- was so degraded that her best course of treatment was to ease her passing.

I previously saw this girl just before COVID stopped all travel. She was a fit mid twenties, lithe girl, with two young daughters. When she complained of whatever condition was making her feel unwell, she still looked normal. 6 months later, she had 3 months left, in constant pain, and most days could barely walk, and died at 28 looking like she was in late middle age, and never saw her kids again. They didn’t even recognise their mother.

Get the diagnosis.
Then get the meds.
Very sound advice.

I did some research online when I got here and found out about her "issues". From my research it lead me to believe that she may have UTI. I'm by no means a doctor and I don't pretend to be one. I was not risking her health by me playing doctor. I want to get her looked at by a professional qualified doctor. Not one of these local "witch doctors".

Being kind of new in KoW and just starting to get my feet wet, I didn't know of any quality professional doctor or clinic I could trust. That's why I posted this thread.

To the general CEO community. You people are a god send with a wealth of knowledge. I'm so glad an expat I met in KoW introduced me to this site. I have posted many thread asking for advice. Every thread I have received very sound and helpful replied.

Just this thread alone have save me lots of precious time, and no doubts many headaches, trying to navigate the medical system here. With the help from fellow members, I have her schedule for an appointment with a qualify doctor on Saturday. Less then 24 hours after posting.

Bloody awesome in my books. Thanks again. Hopefully one day I can return a favor and help the next "new kid".
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Newinkow wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:52 pm Need advice and recommendations from members.

I think my girlfriend has an Urinary Tract Infection. I have just arrived back in PP on the 9th. She been complaining about frequent urges to urinate but can only urinate small amount. She also said "hot" when she goes. Which I take to mean a burning sensation. Also complaining about back pains. She been having this issue for about 4 to 5 weeks now.

She been going to see a local doctor for treatments. All he does is put her on an IV drip. I assume with antibiotics. I asked if he did any test or lab work. She said no. All she did was tell him her problems.

She been also drinking this "kidney cleansing green tea" (at $20 for like a dozen tea bags) and drinking a brew of water and cilantro. I try tell her that the tea and brew is not going to help and that the local doctor is crap. But like a typical Khmer she replies back "you barring you no understand".

Enough of this BS. I want to take her to a proper foreign train doctor for a full examination before it gets worst. Preferably one that can speak English. Does any one know of a good doctor, clinic or hospital I can take her to.

Thanks in advance
When you are not “ new “ anymore you might understand the KoW 👍😉😉
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Please, no more new kids. We have one already that we got rid of.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Newinkow wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:28 am
Freightdog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:29 pm

You’re welcome.

Get the diagnosis.
Then get the meds.
Very sound advice.

I did some research online when I got here and found out about her "issues". From my research it lead me to believe that she may have UTI. I'm by no means a doctor and I don't pretend to be one. I was not risking her health by me playing doctor. I want to get her looked at by a professional qualified doctor. Not one of these local "witch doctors".

Being kind of new in KoW and just starting to get my feet wet, I didn't know of any quality professional doctor or clinic I could trust. That's why I posted this thread.

To the general CEO community. You people are a god send with a wealth of knowledge. I'm so glad an expat I met in KoW introduced me to this site. I have posted many thread asking for advice. Every thread I have received very sound and helpful replied.

Just this thread alone have save me lots of precious time, and no doubts many headaches, trying to navigate the medical system here. With the help from fellow members, I have her schedule for an appointment with a qualify doctor on Saturday. Less then 24 hours after posting.

Bloody awesome in my books. Thanks again. Hopefully one day I can return a favor and help the next "new kid".
I gleaned so much useful advice from 'Ask the Expats' when I first got here (and many others have too), this is why there are many people here who will quickly point you in the right direction. Medical questions are a regular here, but go back through old questions, even the most bizarre and random info requests are normally pointed in the right direction.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The poor girl, it makes you feel so crap. :(
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

UPDATE

Got back from seeing Dr. Julie Thongsavana at Procare. She seems to be professional and knowledge. Good English.

Our appointment was for 11:00 am. She was seeing us around 11:05. No waiting around.

She started the examination by asking what was the problem. I jumped in and example basically what I posted here. She responded with "ok but I want to hear from her". Through a translator she asked the girlfriend a series of questions. From my interpretation of the exchange; she asked the basic questions and was more concerned if this was a reoccurring issue or was this the 1st time. Also how long has she had these symptoms.

After the oral examination, she had my girlfriend jump on the examination table. She then examine her back by pushing on the pressure points and asking if it hurts. Start from the top and worked her way down to the lower back/kidney area. GF said the lower back was a bit soar.

After that, the doctor example that she does not have kidney problems. The soar lower back she example is because GF has packed on a few pounds since I was away. She said GF has UTI which is very common. She didn't order any test. She prescribed 500mg ciprofloxacin twice a day at meal time for 5 days.

I asked if she was going to do any test. She said that it was not necessary. UTI is very common. She will be fine if she takes her medication and to complete the full prescription. I was a bit taken back with no lab work or UTI test. Dr. also recommend that she drink a lot of water. When she does urinate that she takes her time and not rush. Be sure that the bladder is completely drained. Cut down on sugar, salt, oil and coffee. Exercise more and try to lose some weight. Do some back exercise to strengthen her back.

I guess all that's left to do is make sure GF follows the Dr. recommendations and take her medication. We will have to wait and see how things work out. 🤞🤞🤞
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I had a UTI that didn’t respond to first antibiotics prescribed. So, if she starts to vomit and/or shiver/have a fever, go back to the doctor. She wouldn’t want it becoming a kidney issue.

Hopefully nothing like the above happens and she is better soon.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Newinkow wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:12 pm UPDATE
I guess all that's left to do is make sure GF follows the Dr. recommendations and take her medication. We will have to wait and see how things work out. 🤞🤞🤞
Now is potentially your biggest challenge. Patience (with the patient). All too often, the full course or process isn’t followed once the patient feels improvement.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Newinkow wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:12 pm UPDATE

Got back from seeing Dr. Julie Thongsavana at Procare. She seems to be professional and knowledge. Good English.

Our appointment was for 11:00 am. She was seeing us around 11:05. No waiting around.

She started the examination by asking what was the problem. I jumped in and example basically what I posted here. She responded with "ok but I want to hear from her". Through a translator she asked the girlfriend a series of questions. From my interpretation of the exchange; she asked the basic questions and was more concerned if this was a reoccurring issue or was this the 1st time. Also how long has she had these symptoms.

After the oral examination, she had my girlfriend jump on the examination table. She then examine her back by pushing on the pressure points and asking if it hurts. Start from the top and worked her way down to the lower back/kidney area. GF said the lower back was a bit soar.

After that, the doctor example that she does not have kidney problems. The soar lower back she example is because GF has packed on a few pounds since I was away. She said GF has UTI which is very common. She didn't order any test. She prescribed 500mg ciprofloxacin twice a day at meal time for 5 days.

I asked if she was going to do any test. She said that it was not necessary. UTI is very common. She will be fine if she takes her medication and to complete the full prescription. I was a bit taken back with no lab work or UTI test. Dr. also recommend that she drink a lot of water. When she does urinate that she takes her time and not rush. Be sure that the bladder is completely drained. Cut down on sugar, salt, oil and coffee. Exercise more and try to lose some weight. Do some back exercise to strengthen her back.

Well you chose the "lucky" way and not the safe way. While ciprofloxacin will MOSTLY help in a UTI case a URINE CULTURE would have EXACTLY defined the bacteria causing the problem and the SPECIFIC antibiotic would have been prescribed that kills the bacteria in a PROVEN sensibilty test.

Better safe than sorry.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic