Urinary Tract Infection

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Urinary Tract Infection

Post by Chuck Borris »

I have only good experience with Dr. Ti at the BH Cklinic

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BH+Cl ... 04.9327476
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

SWMBO’s niece had an issue. By the time I got home, she’d been treating it the random way for months. I finally got her to see a doctor, and his first assessment is she had about 3 months. Sure enough, nearly exactly 3 months later she was dead. Had she seen a doctor earlier, and had competent tests, what was a renal infection might have been treatable, instead of fatal.

Get her in to see a doctor. Doc67 gave one contact.
I got SWMBO’s niece in to See Gavin Scott at the Traveller’s Tropical Clinic on St.108

There’s well meaning advice, and there’s a time to see a doctor.

Procare Medical Center (french doctors)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/21jtnuHyFjFsTkCB8?g_st=ic

Tropical & Travellers Medical Clinic
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cDHTq7GQH5zvEZYk7?g_st=ic
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

First thing to do is a urine test to define the bacteria causing it. Usually the lab will also do an antibiotic sensitivity testing.

Sensitivity testing results can allow a clinician to change the choice of antibiotics from empiric therapy, which is when an antibiotic is selected based on clinical suspicion about the site of an infection and common causative bacteria, to directed therapy, in which the choice of antibiotic is based on knowledge of the organism and its sensitivities.

Ideal antibiotic therapy is based on determining the causal agent and its antibiotic sensitivity.

Then take the APPROPRIATE antibiotic for the FULL lenght (dont stop just because you feel better)
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hope that you have now taken gf to see a "real" doctor, who will prescribe all the necessary tests. You don't need to do your own medical tests beforehand.
This has been going on for weeks, so go to a doctor today if possible, because of the risk of kidney damage and/or sepsis (can lead to septic shock).

If you need more options, this is a list of Cambodian medical services (English-speaking) that is posted on the UK gov website:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-cambodia
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:21 pm First thing to do is a urine test to define the bacteria causing it. Usually the lab will also do an antibiotic sensitivity testing.
A standard urine test will test the PH value, check for crystals, look for red and white blood cells (and count them), look for mucus and have a quick look for bacteria. But most of the times bacteria aren't seen.
truffledog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:21 pm Sensitivity testing results can allow a clinician to change the choice of antibiotics from empiric therapy, which is when an antibiotic is selected based on clinical suspicion about the site of an infection and common causative bacteria, to directed therapy, in which the choice of antibiotic is based on knowledge of the organism and its sensitivities.
That's in a perfect world. Maybe if the generic antibiotics won't work they will do a culture but for a standard UTI they will prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic which will generally work just fine when combined with lots of fluid.
truffledog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:21 pm Ideal antibiotic therapy is based on determining the causal agent and its antibiotic sensitivity.

Then take the APPROPRIATE antibiotic for the FULL lenght (dont stop just because you feel better)
Again, true. But for a standard non invasive UTI (no fever) they don't go through this hassle because by the time the result of the culture comes in most patients have been cured already.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Thanks everyone for your replies. It was much appreciated.

No offence to anybody. I'm going to take the advice from Doc and Anchor and go seek a professional opinion. I was also going to do what Armchair suggested and get a UTI test done before hand. After reading replies from Anchor and Kammeker, it makes sense to get her in to see a doctor ASAP and let her order what ever test necessary.

I have a question for @Doc67, I'm going to see the doctor you recommend at Procare. My question is, do I need to make an appointment before hand or do I just show up and take a number?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve been to procare (after Doc’s recommendation). Yes, make an appointment. The link is posted up there ^^^ somewhere.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Thanks Freightdog.

Stupid me. After I posted the question, I googled Procare and found their website. I just booked an appointment online for Saturday 11:00 am.

Was just coming back on to let everyone know that I booked an appointment online when I saw your reply. Seems lije I'm doing things half ass backwards. Should of Google them first before posting the question.

PS: I will post updates here on the outcome of the appointment for those the care interested.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Newinkow wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:14 pm Was just coming back on to let everyone know that I booked an appointment online when I saw your reply. Seems lije I'm doing things half ass backwards.

PS: I will post updates here on the outcome of the appointment for those the care interested.
Not really. In your opening post you had your concerns clear. The rest (mostly) is confirmation.

The other half of the battle is getting her to follow the advice that’s forthcoming. Especially if there’s advice regarding dietary changes.

Good luck. Your heart and head seem to be in the right place.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

mannanman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm Doxycycline 100mg twice daily after food.

You’re welcome.
YES i can attest to this !! I went to the doctor this past summer for same thing. Unsure if was prostate or what. They also tested for std which came back negative ( thank god) but they prescribed Doxy and it worked! When returned to NYC i also went to doctor and they said i was good to go. I just wanted to make sure because i was initially seen in Cambodia.

This is the place that I went too. I felt it was professional and recommend it.

https://european-medicare.com/
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic