Selling land

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Selling land

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Lonestar wrote:There are two types of expats. Those who are buying land and seeing a huge return on their investment, and those who will sit on their bar stools and watch this fast moving economy pass them by.

Now is a great time to buy land. Cambodian real estate is greatly protected by the fact that most sales are in cash, so a huge market slump tends to result in a flattening or slight decrease in prices............but not the wholesale crash that occurs when all of the money is borrowed.

If this country is thrown into political chaos during the next election..........it will be another great time to get in.
Interesting view. I hope you are right. Do you have any precedents that you are basing your assumption on?

Land prices doubled and tripled etc in the 2008 to 2009 period before the crash, what's been happening to them lately? Haven't most of the big returns already happened?
Anyone investing in the future based on past returns is nuts. The trick to successful investing is to look for things in short supply. Such as land in central Siem Reap or Phnom Penh. Buying up land in the rest of Cambodia seems to have very little mid to long-term upside and the short-term upside is minimal compared to risk.

When I lived in the UAE everybody told me what a sucker I was not to buy into the property market. A year later, the inevitable crash arrived. I know people who lost millions. They were the "smart expats" of the original post. There's one born every minute and they're normally shouting about it online too.

Investments in Cambodia are generally high risk with little upside. When you can get 8-9% in an interest bearing bank account, you need a much, much higher rate of return to make investing here worthwhile. Don't count on land or property to deliver those returns. Particularly as we start to count down to the next election.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I'd buy silver, but I haven't found anywhere to bury it.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Yep. Vladimir, the eternal bear about all things Cambodia.
Yeah, nasty Vlad, Jesus, next thing he'll be reminding us about how much respect Khmer have shown historically for land titles held by anyone, let alone barangs.

And what is he thinking? Business development people have told the minions what a good investment opportunity Scambodia is, and who would not trust them? What possible motive could they have? Lucre? Nah, surely not...not in Cambodia.

And don't mention the racist Rainsy, nah he could never get in. What did Sihanouk contemptuously call that small band of clowns? The Khmer Rouge...oh, wait...

Keep buying, bogos, keep buying. :thumb:

What could go wrong? :lol:

Rewind this conversation to 1975, and it could be comedy.
Last edited by vladimir on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

Dude, it's a few hectares of farmland for a few grand. A small project for someone. Hardly a get rich scheme, nor the biggest risk since sub prime.

I doubt ownership will induce the next civil war, tge 2nd coming or the apocolypse.

Jeez.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Dude, it's a few hectares of farmland for a few grand. A small project for someone. Hardly a get rich scheme, nor the biggest risk since sub prime.

I doubt ownership will induce the next civil war, tge 2nd coming or the apocolypse.

Jeez.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The price is not the issue. Whether it's a good idea or not is the issue.

And it may be 3K now, but when it gets stolen in 5 years and a house has been built on it, it could be a big loss.

Not entirely unprecedented, no?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Not unprecedented, no, but by following that logic, why would anyone do anything, ever?

Personally I think land is great, I love it. You can see it, walk around it and pretend you're a proper country squire, something pretty impossible for a pleb of my status in my own country. It's a borrow-able asset, should shit hit the fan and you need a loan fast. Also something secure for a Cambodian family (assuming the risk that they might kill you to claim it etc, etc).

Why buy a nice car when the risk is that someone might drive into it, leaving you with crumpled metal and hospital bills? Why buy an iphone when any hoodlum might rob it? Why, why, why?

This isn't really the place for the risk adverse, is it?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Can I recommend investing in some eco boxes for your eggs instead of that basket. Or maybe some government bonds? I hear they are going like hot cakes.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

..... said the man who complains about the price of pineapple.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Juan,

I think that the big returns have already been made..........in Phnom Penh. However, since 2008-2009 and especially recently, land prices greatly increasing in the areas surrounding Phnom Penh. In the last few years, I have doubled up on a piece of land, my wife has doubled up on three pieces, my friends in Kampot have doubled their investment......and a friend who built near the Mekong has more than doubled his investment. It is not about investment based on past returns............for me, it is about the fact that Cambodia will follow the same development model as other countries. More and more people will move to the Capitol, and as land in Phnom Penh becomes too expensive.......the city will spread and land in the outlying areas will increase in value.

I disagree with the Grinch in that I would not be looking to buy extremely expensive real estate in Phnom Penh and hoping it gets even more expensive. I like buying cheaper land farther out.

One caveat, I think you need some local knowledge and a lot of patience.

At least with land, you have a hard asset that you can borrow against.........or at the very least, put a house on if push comes to shove.

And......if the country goes tits up and descends into 90's style chaos, with foreigners fleeing the country in droves and land prices crashing........that would be just fine with me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic