Coffee Machines

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coffee Machines

Post by Kammekor »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:01 pm Have always drank instant coffee for quickness and ease of making it, but if one was to start making and drinking coffee using coffee beans and a machine , what are your recommendations, What brand of machine are you using ?
It all depends on how often and how much you drink I guess, and how fancy you want it. I just drink one glass of ice coffee a day at around 3pm and the Vietnamese style suits me well. Quick & efficient and easy to clean. No need for extra filters or other stuff.
I did splurge on a stainless steel version though, because God knows what's used in the cheap local versions and which chemicals end up in your coffee.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I also use a Vietnamese stainless steel phin (not aluminum!). About US$2 at Central Market (Tsar Tmei). Never need paper filters and so easy to clean. There are at least 3 sizes. Photo shows medium size.

I use 3 heaping teaspoons of espresso or dark roast arabica beans, medium grind. If you use more grounds, the stronger the coffee. Mine's about medium strength with teaspoonfuls.

Don't bother buying the phin with screw-on tamper -- the part that sits on the ground coffee inside the filter cup. Don't forget to put the tamper in though. It slows down the water to make it richer tasting.

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I'll "third" the use of the Vietnamese "Ca Phe Phin" mentioned above.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:08 pm Before you splash out on an all-singing-all-dancing machine, why not try a cheap coffee press 'machine'.

Just buy the ground coffee and see if you can be bothered with the hassle of waiting for it to brew, and buying fresh ground coffee all the time, the extra cost of it and whether it is all worth the effort.

This is all Ive been using the past 30 years.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I got an Espresso machine off Nham24 (Lina Online Shop) - it was about $85 delivered, surprisingly decent coffee machine; Sokany - super dodgy brand that I had bad experience with on two spice grinders before, but sod it, COVID hit and I needed a machine!). It uses ground coffee; the bean grinder types are usually way more expensive & I'm not that serious an afficionado.

Same as others though, I have a metal stove old school coffee maker as a backup, and a basic plunger/glass job as above as the emergency emergency backup!

Coffee itself a very personal choice, but I tend to stick to Segafredo or Lavazza Il Mattino (Thai Huot sells) as a decent morning coffee.

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

These Aeropress coffee presses are very highly rated for the quality of coffee they produce, some cafe's here even offer them as an alternative to a machine brewed coffee.
Can get them on amazon, Maybe Camboquick might be another option.

techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

I use a machine that has a carafe on one side and a k-cup spot on the other. I don't use k-cups, but I have a filter that fits in the spot and allows me to use my own grounds. This gives me the option of a single mug for me or making a bunch for company without getting two machines and taking up too much counter space. Only cost me about $40.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

I'm currently using a Moka pot. Sourced one at Chenai Shop on street 310. For cappuccino I use a battery operated milk frother
available at Japanese shops for under $2. Good results.

The ca phe phin is definitely the simplest solution. I never travel without one, and a bag of grounds.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:44 pm Image
I travel with one of these, and use one at home, too. A cafetière is too risky in most cases, though I do like them. The simple ca phe Phil can be distributed in all the small voids in my suitcase. 1 or 2 bags of Mondulkiri ground coffee ($2.50 for 500gr), and I’m sorted for most trips.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

canucklhead wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:53 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:08 pm Before you splash out on an all-singing-all-dancing machine, why not try a cheap coffee press 'machine'.

Just buy the ground coffee and see if you can be bothered with the hassle of waiting for it to brew, and buying fresh ground coffee all the time, the extra cost of it and whether it is all worth the effort.

This is all Ive been using the past 30 years.
Agreed, The french press method is acknowledged as the best way to drink coffee for flavour, and baristas will usually use a press when doing coffee tasting for a new blend or single origin. There is a bit of an art to getting it right in terms of letting the grounds bloom, and steeping time etc, but nothing that can't be explained online. And remember it was the French who started the coffee industry in this part of the world.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic