Koh Rong trip report

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Re: Koh Rong trip report

Post by kagi »

You can include Hua Hin with Phuket and Pattaya
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 am I had been thinking of a trip back to Koh Rong, but that report confirms the one overriding memory of the place; there is nothing there apart from a beach and overpriced accommodation with bad food that you are forced to eat.

The fact that both hotels can't get their shit together with sun loungers is just pathetic.
The White Sands Ark just don't have the space to put more sunbeds. Fortunately a lot of the barangs are happy to lie ion the beach n the hot sun. The sunbeds are under a big canopy, but they still got hot after about 10.30am.
No excuse for the Long Beach Resort.
OTOH, the WSA lets itself down on the room fittings, in particular the beds and sheets. If it wasn't for that I'd be very happy with that hotel.

I was OK with the (Khmer) food and its prices in Sok San. Nice wine at the WSA too.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

great review thanks @armchairlawyer
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

the new roads sound fun, @armchairlawyer how long was the total journey PP>SHV from using the new road?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:49 pm the new roads sound fun, @armchairlawyer how long was the total journey PP>SHV from using the new road?
My taxi left Central Market at 8.30am. One hour of bad trafffic to the new road, 2 hours to KPS. Caught the 12 noon boat.
Coming back, similar 2 hours + 1 hour.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:57 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:49 pm the new roads sound fun, @armchairlawyer how long was the total journey PP>SHV from using the new road?
My taxi left Central Market at 8.30am. One hour of bad trafffic to the new road, 2 hours to KPS. Caught the 12 noon boat.
Coming back, similar 2 hours + 1 hour.
ahh thats fantastic times then, used to do PP>SHV in about 4 hours, but the past couple of years you was looking at a good 5-6 hours because of traffic, so good to see it will be back to a reasonable travel time!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

kagi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:31 am You can include Hua Hin with Phuket and Pattaya
Hua Hin? Supposed to be there for Christmas. Is it so bad?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:47 pm
kagi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:31 am You can include Hua Hin with Phuket and Pattaya
Hua Hin? Supposed to be there for Christmas. Is it so bad?
No
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:21 pm
truffledog wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:20 pm it seems that the trip from PP-SHV on the new road was the highlight of your holiday. I am a little shocked about the overall expenses for such a type of short holiday..and we are not talking travelling @yong style.
Backpacker places are available from $12 and some of them get very good reviews.
Minivan rides cost about $12 one way. There is a supply boat costing $5 each way but I think that might be taking cost saving a bit too far.

Sorry I didn't convey the natural beauty well enough. The sea is clear as crystal, the white sand is exquisite (and well cleaned) and the sky a lovely shade of blue. The green afforested hills adorned the deep blue of the sea.
Nights were warm and the stars shone as the waves gently lapped the shore.
It was a bloody nice break from PP.
@armchairlawyer If I read your trip report right - Koh Rong, the island itself, was a good experience - but you were let down by the sub-standard customer service available at the so-called better (more expensive) holiday resorts ?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:59 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:21 pm
truffledog wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:20 pm it seems that the trip from PP-SHV on the new road was the highlight of your holiday. I am a little shocked about the overall expenses for such a type of short holiday..and we are not talking travelling @yong style.
Backpacker places are available from $12 and some of them get very good reviews.
Minivan rides cost about $12 one way. There is a supply boat costing $5 each way but I think that might be taking cost saving a bit too far.

Sorry I didn't convey the natural beauty well enough. The sea is clear as crystal, the white sand is exquisite (and well cleaned) and the sky a lovely shade of blue. The green afforested hills adorned the deep blue of the sea.
Nights were warm and the stars shone as the waves gently lapped the shore.
It was a bloody nice break from PP.
@armchairlawyer If I read your trip report right - Koh Rong, the island itself, was a good experience - but you were let down by the sub-standard customer service available at the so-called better (more expensive) holiday resorts ?
No problems with service, the problem is the accommodation hardware. I chose the places with Very Good ratings on booking.com. I'm assuming the many places with lower ratings were even less good. The island itself is a bit rough and ready but that's OK if you have a nice room and good facilities in your hotel. Both places I stayed in were very well managed but the owners had decided to skimp too much on some of the F&Fs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic