Sihanoukville Police Chief: Shakedowns of Tourists to Stop

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Sihanoukville Police Chief: Shakedowns of Tourists to St

Post by wackyjacky »

IMO, the bike owners need to give the renters this info. I've talked to backpackers who've paid $40 too. IDLs exist for a reason, but they're not cheap. It's much cheap to just pay the fines as long as you pay the proper amount. I'm shocked that the cops came around to accepting them. Mine had gotten turned down in SV 4 or 5 times over the years.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Tread carefully rubberbaron.
A long, long time ago, I had a small guesthouse in Koh Kong before the bridge was built. To cross the river by little outboard boat cost about 40 baht (iirc). But, of course, the boat mafia loved scamming the tourists for 100 baht.
I had printed some little flyers for the guesthouse and mentioned on the flyer that the correct price for the boat was 40 baht.
A couple of days later, a couple of the moto-dop mafia along with a couple of the boat mafia paid me a visit to tell me that I needed to remove the boat price from my flyer or else I will have no more customers. :whip:
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

You have lived in Koh Kong before the bridges were built ? Me too - we probably know each other.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

IDL's can be got from a main PO in UK for about £5. You had only to produce your DL and counterpart (once forgot counterpart and had to go back and get it, now no longer needed) My problem the nearest main one was 25miles away, bus ride that takes half the day or parking charges. Always had one every year, even if the date on the stamp got a little smudged from the year before. ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

driving licenses wont help. they just refuse to give it back and ask for $20.

monkeys.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

frank lee bent wrote:driving licenses wont help. they just refuse to give it back and ask for $20.
monkeys.
Just say 'Haha, good joke.' Nothing like a bit of banter with the friendly traffic cops.
But seriously, this has happened to you recently ?
Nobody's ever asked me for $20 - I think the biggest "asking price" was $5, but 'Haha good joke' worked fine.
Or call the big boss and complain. (Has anyone done this yet ?)
Also, agree with AD that it should be up to the bike-renters to inform the tourists on the going prices. But, for obvious reasons, I don't think the Khmer renters would do this.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

happened to a fb poster that i know slightly.

in the end he paid a dollar.

he broke no rules.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

RubberBaron: Here are papers you might want to download/print and give to your customers, have them read and hand to the police when they are pulled over. I do it every time and they hate it.

vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

A Khmer one on the reverse side would be more valuable than just English
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
6EQUJ5
Expatriate

Post by 6EQUJ5 »

According to the Post, traffic fines are set to increase.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... -fines-set

"Under the sub-decree’s terms, motorcyclists and motorcycle passengers who fail to wear a helmet will have to pay 15,000 riel ($3.75) – a five-fold increase on the 3,000 riel ($0.75) fine currently only levied against the vehicle’s drivers.

Penalties for not wearing seatbelts in cars will be similarly hiked, from 5,000 riel ($1.25) to 25,000 riel ($6.25).

For drivers and passengers in trucks, the new fines could reach 50,000 riel ($12.50). None of the fines will take effect until January."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic