Netflix- what are the alternatives?

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Netflix- what are the alternatives?

Post by Freightdog »

Without purchasing a separate means of masking my location- like a VPN
What reliable options are there?

I travel a lot. I’ve been using Netflix for many years, and it’s got plenty of limitations and stupidities. But apparently, they now require users to setup individual accounts billed in, and used exclusively in, the country where it is signed up. It’s verboten to use it while travelling. Given that my working year can easily cover a dozen countries, that’s not practical.

So what decent alternatives, with a reasonable variety of content are there?
Last edited by Freightdog on Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Netflix- what are the alternatives

Post by Doc67 »

When did this start? I have a UK account that I use here and so does my daughter in the UK. I won't be paying twice for it.

As for alternatives, if there is a series you want to watch, you can always download it from Pirate Bay or another streaming site and store on a separate hard drive just for your TV stuff. That makes the internet connection irrelevant wherever you go. I have two drives full of stuff and take them everywhere.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

MoviesHd app works very well. It's free and you get content way before other platforms. All in good quality.

Downside is finding a genuine copy of the app. That's not been messed about with.

MoviesHd has their own site now but it's very easy to stumble onto one that's a spoof of the genuine article.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:36 am When did this start? I have a UK account that I use here and so does my daughter in the UK. I won't be paying twice for it.

As for alternatives, if there is a series you want to watch, you can always download it from Pirate Bay or another streaming site and store on a separate hard drive just for your TV stuff. That makes the internet connection irrelevant wherever you go. I have two drives full of stuff and take them everywhere.
Quite frankly, I think it’s the clown on the other end of my support conversation. My account was originally setup in North America, and I’ve reliably used it in Canada, US, Bits of the Caribbean, Britain, Norway, Sweden, France, Belgium, Germany, bits of Africa, Cambodia, and a bunch of other locations.
But, if they want to be stupid, I’ll take them up on their offer of closing my account (the only option offered for random, inconsistent connection issues following an OS update).
I wonder if they realise their own staff are advising customers to cancel accounts?

PS. I use MacBook, and iPad.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:48 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:36 am When did this start? I have a UK account that I use here and so does my daughter in the UK. I won't be paying twice for it.

Quite frankly, I think it’s the clown on the other end of my support conversation. My account was originally setup in North America, and I’ve reliably used it in Canada, US, Bits of the Caribbean, Britain, Norway, Sweden, France, Belgium, Germany, bits of Africa, Cambodia, and a bunch of other locations.
But, if they want to be stupid, I’ll take them up on their offer of closing my account (the only option offered for random, inconsistent connection issues following an OS update).
I wonder if they realise their own staff are advising customers to cancel accounts?

PS. I use MacBook, and iPad.
Why no vpn? They are easy to use and makes like much simpler.

With regards to Netflix, they did say they are going to start clamping down on sharing the app with family members recently. Shouldn’t affect usage across countries though as far as I understood it, you will just be limited to the content in the current country you are in (not saying you’re wrong, but this wasn’t their stated goal)

Amazon works outside of the purchased country but the viewing options are limited (unless using a vpn). Apple TV not georestricted content, but also not that good
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Netflix- what are the alternatives?

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am

Disney+ is their largest competitor.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:59 am Why no vpn? They are easy to use and makes like much simpler.
2 reasons-
Mainly, I really don’t want to be paying for more stuff. Blame it on having lived in Scotland
Secondly. Sometimes, I’m limited to using a company device, where some apps and services are approved, but others restricted.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:24 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am

Disney+ is their largest competitor.
Tried to sign up for that via VPN & got all the way through to payment- then rejected as my credit card wasn’t issued in the same country as the VPN… grrr, calling Spigz Senior to fix that up.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Buy an android box ( $20-50) Mine is a Mx9 pro that i brought over 6 years ago
Download/load Kodi
Load the "nightwing" and "the oath" addons and various sports addons if you wish
Take the box wherever you go an you have access to all tv shows and Movies
all you need is internet access, FYI: i dont need or use a vpn

I've been using "the oath" movies section and they offer like 50 movies by decades.
been going thru old movies back to the 30's. Love it when you dont know what you want to watch

Nightwing offers
a search function for tv shows/movies
also for TV the following sections;
New episodes
Returning tv shows
new tv shows
Amazon prime
Hula
Netflix & Chill
Discovery plus
DC tv
Marvel TV
Comedy central

No idea why anyone would ever need anything else in SE asia, when ii travel I have a 2nd one an all i need do is plug it into the Hotels tv via HCMI plug, enter the password for the Wifi and i'm good to go

Theres plenty of You tube videos on how to set everything up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am Without purchasing a separate means of masking my location- like a VPN
What reliable options are there?

I travel a lot. I’ve been using Netflix for many years, and it’s got plenty of limitations and stupidities. But apparently, they now require users to setup individual accounts billed in, and used exclusively in, the country where it is signed up. It’s verboten to use it while travelling. Given that my working year can easily cover a dozen countries, that’s not practical.

Any reason you wouldn't use a VPN?

A good alternative is to do what all your favorite bars and hotels here do - buy an Amazon firestick preloaded with ALL channels and services for around $100

Ask at any local bar for details of the dodgy brit selling them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic