Netflix- what are the alternatives?

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Netflix- what are the alternatives?

Post by paul2d »

I use Amazon Prime. I tried it with Nord VPN but it would not allow me to access content. However, without the VPN it did allow me to access a fair amount of content but not all of the content, e.g. Acorn TV (which has a large number of British, Australian, and Irish series).

For those who are not aware, Your Prime Video is available on the Amazon website under Accounts and Lists.

Just showed a neighbour from the UK this the other day as he didn't know of its existence. Hope this helps.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:40 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am Without purchasing a separate means of masking my location- like a VPN
What reliable options are there?

I travel a lot. I’ve been using Netflix for many years, and it’s got plenty of limitations and stupidities. But apparently, they now require users to setup individual accounts billed in, and used exclusively in, the country where it is signed up. It’s verboten to use it while travelling. Given that my working year can easily cover a dozen countries, that’s not practical.

So what decent alternatives, with a reasonable variety of content are there?
Any reason you wouldn't use a VPN?

A good alternative is to do what all your favorite bars and hotels here do - buy an Amazon firestick preloaded with ALL channels and services for around $100

Ask at any local bar for details of the dodgy brit selling them
He's not dodgy, he's just from Merseyside.
Pope2Pope
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pope2Pope »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am Without purchasing a separate means of masking my location- like a VPN
What reliable options are there?

I travel a lot. I’ve been using Netflix for many years, and it’s got plenty of limitations and stupidities. But apparently, they now require users to setup individual accounts billed in, and used exclusively in, the country where it is signed up. It’s verboten to use it while travelling. Given that my working year can easily cover a dozen countries, that’s not practical.

So what decent alternatives, with a reasonable variety of content are there?
I discovered hdtoday.tv a couple of months ago and since then I have cut all my TV and Movie subs, best to use it on chrome with an ad blocker extension...it will work like magic.

My currently setup is my macbook connected to my TV and I control it all via a simple wireless mouse and keyboard

hdtoday.tv even has episodes of "Murder she wrote"...man that took me back to my teenage years

[media]
“The journey, not the arrival, matters.”
– T. S. Eliot
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Different geographic regions have different streaming choices. I periodically cycle between the below, only subscribing to two at a time

Binge (Australian owned by Streamotion which, unfortunately, is a Foxtel thing)
Disney +
Amazon Prime Video
Stan (Australian)
Netflix

Of the above I least like Disney+ and Prime.

I occasionally watch something on Apple TV
SBS On Demand (Aussie and free) has some good content too
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic