Anything in Pattaya of interest to LONG-term S.E.A. expats?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anything in Pattaya of interest to LONG-term S.E.A. expats?

Post by sigmoid »

What might you recommend in Pattaya for those who "have been there, done that" throughout Southeast Asia and other parts of the planet for several decades and are more than a wee bit jaded and world-weary (not really a tourist)? 8)

Is there anything, or is it all beer bars, geezers, tattoos, ladyboys, Issan girls, ear-splitting discotheques, shopping malls, traffic, air pollution. tourist food, over-priced accommodation, massage parlours, empty Indian restaurants, kind of lousy beach, etc.? :chin:
(which I'm sure is all pretty impressive and great if you're escaping winter in Europe or North America)

Thanks much for any info, real or imaginary. :thumb:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anything in Pattaya of interest to LONG-term S.E.A. expats?

Post by John Bingham »

Do you play golf?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

This sounds like you are inciting to make Pattay look like a real shithole for loosers. It indeed is.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

Some decent fishing.......
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

got many long time friends that love it there
Excluding walking street, beach road.
People are very friendly, wide choice of food and shopping, Golf, if thats ur thing,
Inexpensive, Jomtien over the hill, affordable rents. Easy to get to Bangkok
and there is a whole other life across Sukumvit including the dark side

its NOT just a tourist dump

Not my cup of tea thou
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

My wife (Canadian) actually went there and loved it. They jet skied, though watch out for scam operators, bungee jumped, and went to a fishing pond where you're almost guaranteed to catch and release a whopper. I think she rode an elephant too. She loved it.

Of course you could do a swan dive off of an 8th story balcony, which seems to be a semi regular occurrence there. I used to have Pattaya in my news feed. Total Shit show.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

sammycooke wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:14 am My wife (Canadian) actually went there and loved it. They jet skied, though watch out for scam operators, bungee jumped, and went to a fishing pond where you're almost guaranteed to catch and release a whopper. I think she rode an elephant too. She loved it.

Of course you could do a swan dive off of an 8th story balcony, which seems to be a semi regular occurrence there. I used to have Pattaya in my news feed. Total Shit show.
So your wife went to Thailand without you did some riding and played with a whopper?
People of the world, spice up your life.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

truffledog wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:40 am This sounds like you are inciting to make Pattay look like a real shithole for loosers. It indeed is.
"a real shithole for loosers." yeah - it's full of the sort of folks who can't spell.

I wouldn't live there. Try Jomtien. Gives you access to friends that do live in Pattaya, is 10 minutes away when you do need that nightlife buzz and is close enough to Bangkok for whatever you can't get down on the coast. Perhaps the best of both worlds.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

showed up on my FB feed:
Bus to patttaya

FYI: just north of Patttaya beach is Naklua, nice place to stay
Back in '84 lived in Bang Lamung on the sea front, the whole area has changed so much but still people love it or hate it ( mostly those that have never been)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^ Got a laugh out of the headshot photo. But I call fake. Heads look too much the same, red bald skin patch in same place, three or four of them lean exactly the same way, same haircuts.

Having done something close to 200 return trips BKK-Pats since early 2010s, I've never been on an inter-city bus with those crappy seats. In fact, the bus looks like a Bangkok local street bus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic