Englishman's death in Malaysian jungle remains a mystery

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Englishman's death in Malaysian jungle remains a mystery

Post by Anchor Moy »

Another strange death in SEA.
Gareth Huntley's body was found yards from a kayak storage shed at the Juara Turtle Project where he had been working as a project volunteer on the Malaysian island of Tioman. He had been missing for eight days. All sorts of theories sprang up during the search for him.
Huntley's mother says there are still many unanswered questions about his death.
It was said that the 34-year-old ecologist and adventurer had died of a snake bite; that on a trek to a jungle waterfall he had got lost; that he had been murdered in a fight with another foreign traveller
The funeral is being held a year after his death, and no inquest yet ? Poor family. As far as I remember, there were a lot of search parties when he was reported missing, yet it took a week before his body was found close to the project area.Another coverup to protect the locals ? More weirdness in paradise.
The family waited months for the results of the Malaysian post mortem, whose basic finding was that the cause of death was "unknown". An inquest has been scheduled in the state capital of Pahang for the end of June. Until that has taken place, there can be no inquest in this country.

"We urgently need the Malaysian and the UK authorities to work closely together," Janet says. "The locals really did their best, but there were people on the island at the time who could throw light on this. I feel as if I'm in the dark. Nothing seems to happen. I'm having to remind them I'm still here, still waiting. "

She thinks it strange that her son's body, conspicuous in bright red shorts and close to the path near where he had been working, was not found for eight days. "It makes no sense that he was not found earlier. I do not believe getting lost was the cause of his death."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/69093 ... or-his-mum