What to do with 5 million dollars

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

What to do with 5 million dollars

Post by atst »

In the bank today waiting to do a deposit, looking at some guy at the counter with big piles of dollars withdrawals, I'm thinking it Riel, anyway I get called up next to this guy look at the bundles, all $100 notes he is checking them out on by one, on the screen money counter 5,000,000 . I blinked a few times triple looked yep $5,000,000.
Question 1 what do you want 5 million cash for?
Question 2 why is it being processed at the bank counter like everyone else and not inside the Bank?
I'm feeling poorer and poorer every day I'm in Cambodia, I used to think I was well off.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What to do with 5 million dollars

Post by Alex »

Is that a serious question? I withdraw 5 million dollars on a weekly basis.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Thats 50kg of $100 bills! did he have an assistant?
BobtheBillder
Expatriate

Post by BobtheBillder »

He was counting $5,000,000 at the counter? That's 50,000 hundred dollar bills.

If he can count four bills a second, it would take 3.5 hours.

The bills would weigh 50kg, or 110 pounds.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

I'd make 4 posts on CEO asking people what they'd do with the cash
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:13 pm In the bank today waiting to do a deposit, looking at some guy at the counter with big piles of dollars withdrawals, I'm thinking it Riel, anyway I get called up next to this guy look at the bundles, all $100 notes he is checking them out on by one, on the screen money counter 5,000,000 . I blinked a few times triple looked yep $5,000,000.
Question 2 why is it being processed at the bank counter like everyone else and not inside the Bank?
I'm feeling poorer and poorer every day I'm in Cambodia, I used to think I was well off.
That's something I've noticed for as long as I've been here really. I rarely have any need to go inside a bank, but on many times that I have I've seen similar. Very ordinary-looking customers (they could be market traders, small business owners, factory payrolls or whatever but never look too dressed up) turn up at the counter with massive sacks of cash. I've never been close enough to notice the amounts but it often looks like at least tens of thousands. Personally I'd be freaked out carrying those amounts around in semi-public view without some heavy security. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Maybe he was going to make it rain down on 136 street :beer3:
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:08 pm
atst wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:13 pm In the bank today waiting to do a deposit, looking at some guy at the counter with big piles of dollars withdrawals, I'm thinking it Riel, anyway I get called up next to this guy look at the bundles, all $100 notes he is checking them out on by one, on the screen money counter 5,000,000 . I blinked a few times triple looked yep $5,000,000.
That's something I've noticed for as long as I've been here really. I rarely have any need to go inside a bank, but on many times that I have I've seen similar. Very ordinary-looking customers (they could be market traders, small business owners, factory payrolls or whatever but never look too dressed up) turn up at the counter with massive sacks of cash. I've never been close enough to notice the amounts but it often looks like at least tens of thousands. Personally I'd be freaked out carrying those amounts around in semi-public view without some heavy security. :?
the best security is the one you DON'T see but its probably there.
work is for people who cant find truffles
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

If anybody posts that somebodys stolen $5 million of their money, we know where it is :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic