What to do with 5 million dollars

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Re: What to do with 5 million dollars

Post by Stravaiger »

Not long after ABA opened here I requested a higher term deposit rate and they agreed on condition that I would let them quote for private banking services. They offered me a current account rate of 5% iirc and a card that gave deep discounts in various shops and restaurants. Their only condition was that I would keep a minimum balance of $1M in the current account.

I declined gracefully, saying I would pass their offer on to my more affluent friends. There's a whole part of the wealth iceberg here we rarely see, the customers who don't have to queue with the hoi polloi.

And it's not unusual to see old ladies in pajamas banking tens of thousands at a time, often pulled out of recycled plastic bags. Rough looking vicious types for the most part.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

atst wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:13 pm In the bank today waiting to do a deposit, looking at some guy at the counter with big piles of dollars withdrawals, I'm thinking it Riel, anyway I get called up next to this guy look at the bundles, all $100 notes he is checking them out on by one, on the screen money counter 5,000,000 . I blinked a few times triple looked yep $5,000,000.
Question 1 what do you want 5 million cash for?
Question 2 why is it being processed at the bank counter like everyone else and not inside the Bank?
I'm feeling poorer and poorer every day I'm in Cambodia, I used to think I was well off.
The new Lambo must have come in.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I call BS.
Sums like that don’t get handled through the plebs counter.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

One million USD in $100 bills is around 10 kilograms. Attached pic was possibly uploaded on CEO earlier. 5 million would be more than double that amount...
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I’m guessing it’d be around 50 kg…
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

5 is definitely bigger than 1. How much bigger, no one can say for sure.
Scarier than malaria.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:05 pm 5 is definitely bigger than 1. How much bigger, no one can say for sure.
One million in $100 bils is around 10 kilogram. Pic shows 22 kilogram so around 2,2 mio. Five million would be more than double that.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Flexxman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:28 pm
ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:05 pm 5 is definitely bigger than 1. How much bigger, no one can say for sure.
One million in $100 bils is around 10 kilogram. Pic shows 22 kilogram so around 2,2 mio. Five million would be more than double that.
It’s not clear, with your latter comment, if you’re referring to your previous comment or the picture.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

mannanman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:52 pm I call BS.
Wanker, that's what I asked in the first post.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

atst wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:29 am
mannanman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:52 pm I call BS.
Wanker, that's what I asked in the first post.
Have you and Grand Barang had a lovers tiff. You both seem very antsy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic