RIP Chris Bean

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: RIP Chris Bean

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:17 pm Who was this guy?
Older wrinkly bald man who was rather distinctive looking

Managed Sharky bar for a good while after it was gutted and badly renovated following Mikes death, worked in a number of other hospitality gigs also - most recently did Sunday roasts at the Front Bar.

Nice fellow
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

Omg he was such a nice man

Am shocked to hear this

I saw a post that he had a health crisis at a bar and the owner or someone saved his life last minute and I reached out to him on FB cuz he seemed so nice and maybe vulnerable. We spoke at length about health topics in general and he lamented w me about prejudices and perceived ops and he'd share w me all his healthy breakfasts that his new younger gf would have w him. I actually didn't believe she was real because she was definitely out of his league being incredibly younger and above average attractive.

He loved Cambodia, Khmer people, was a very kind man

Was very proud about his involvement in the local music scene and community engagement.. he loved to make friends and seemed to have no beef w anyone

Shocked cuz he seemed so healthy

RIP my virtual friend ❤️
Wish there was more ppl like you here who stick around

La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Is it weird that his girlfriend puts a RIP post up on her wall, then 2 hours later is trying to flog off jewelry and shoes?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074643774113

Seems brutally cold to me.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

La Quenta wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 pm Is it weird that his girlfriend puts a RIP post up on her wall, then 2 hours later is trying to flog off jewelry and shoes?

Did you know him?
I didn’t even know him beyond passing interactions and observing him via Facebook (by chance not intentionally), and I know that given the circumstances it is not remotely weird?

What’s your interest? Perhaps you are concerned a person may need financial assistance after the sudden and awful death of their partner. If so, buy a few items, pay more than they are worth, and let them keep the items to sell again. That will show humanity rather than gossipy shit stirring prat.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

This is sad news.

I recognised the name, but had a glimmer of hope for a moment when someone described him as bald- I didn’t know he’d had the severe haircut.

Chris was an amiable chap in my experience. Things that might piss me off, he calmly put aside and kept moving forward.
While I wouldn’t presume to include myself as one of his friends, we shared an occasional beer and chats in passing over the past few years.

He’ll be missed, for sure.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Had a few pies and beers with him at Vila grange a year or two ago, great fella rip
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

violet wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:52 pm
La Quenta wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 pm Is it weird that his girlfriend puts a RIP post up on her wall, then 2 hours later is trying to flog off jewelry and shoes?

Did you know him?
I didn’t even know him beyond passing interactions and observing him via Facebook (by chance not intentionally), and I know that given the circumstances it is not remotely weird?

What’s your interest? Perhaps you are concerned a person may need financial assistance after the sudden and awful death of their partner. If so, buy a few items, pay more than they are worth, and let them keep the items to sell again. That will show humanity rather than gossipy shit stirring prat.
My post wasn't meant to cause offense.

I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

It was just an observation. I'm a relative newcomer to Khmer culture.
BobtheBillder
Expatriate

Post by BobtheBillder »

Your comment seems cold to me and lacking in empathy.

Imagine being the impoverished girlfriend of an older Western pensioner in a developing country like Cambodia, probably living in his apartment and dependent on him for food, shelter, etc.

Then he dies and you are faced with imminent eviction from the apartment and loss of all financial support. Now add the obligation she may feel to arrange and contribute to the customary ceremonies in Cambodia for death of a loved one, which involve cremation, buying food for monks and ghosts, etc. None of which is cheap.

It's no wonder she suddenly needs cash and is hustling to raise it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I recognize him from this photo but didn't know him. Who's the waitress in this photo? I remember her from somewhere, maybe Garage or Red Fox? She's always been very pleasant.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

La Quenta wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 pm
violet wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:52 pm

Did you know him?

My post wasn't meant to cause offense.

I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

It was just an observation. I'm a relative newcomer to Khmer culture.
Fair enough. My response is something I hope you will remember and will be the beginning of your eyes opening to how much Cambodia can teach you.

May you begin to have your cultural shackles crumble.

May you soon interpret behaviours with a knowledge of what life is like for many you walk among.

Cambodia is a great teacher if you open yourself to questioning how and why; if you pause when you process information - question why you interpret things as you initially do - open yourself to learning that your interpretations and conclusions are a product of what you have experienced, and what you have experienced has been limited.

One of the things I love about Cambodia (with a passion) is that it can be hard to walk through life on auto pilot - it challenges you all the time to see things differently, to learn to be outside of your conditioning. Enjoy!!
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic