The rest of the world

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

The rest of the world

Post by xandreu »

As someone who's been living in the KOW for several years now, I've recently realised I've lost that sense of adventure I had when I first moved here, and I've kind of found myself in a bit of rut again, similar to the reasons why I moved here in the first place.

I'm not blaming Cambodia at all. I love it here, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed for so long, and I will more than likely return here, long term, in the future at some point.

But I'm starting to think of moving on and experiencing somewhere else for a while. I guess I'm trying to re-ignite that spark of adventurousness that I used to have, and which seems to have waned slowly since setting down roots here in the KOW.

So, as someone who clearly likes the Cambodian way of life, does anyone have any suggestions as to where else I might find interesting on a similar level?

I wouldn't initially be looking to work there, so a tourist visa would be fine but preferably somewhere that offers a 3 month tourist visa, so I can really take my time there. (I'm a British Passport holder)

I'm more inclined to places where the cost of living is on the cheaper side, so not really looking at rich, industrialised western nations.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The rest of the world

Post by Kammekor »

Portugal or Bulgaria might suit you for while? Life's relatively cheap there and it will be a change for sure. Especially Bulgaria has a lot of charm on offer.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:09 am As someone who's been living in the KOW for several years now, I've recently realised I've lost that sense of adventure I had when I first moved here, and I've kind of found myself in a bit of rut again, similar to the reasons why I moved here in the first place.

I'm not blaming Cambodia at all. I love it here, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed for so long, and I will more than likely return here, long term, in the future at some point.

But I'm starting to think of moving on and experiencing somewhere else for a while. I guess I'm trying to re-ignite that spark of adventurousness that I used to have, and which seems to have waned slowly since setting down roots here in the KOW.

So, as someone who clearly likes the Cambodian way of life, does anyone have any suggestions as to where else I might find interesting on a similar level?

I wouldn't initially be looking to work there, so a tourist visa would be fine but preferably somewhere that offers a 3 month tourist visa, so I can really take my time there. (I'm a British Passport holder)

I'm more inclined to places where the cost of living is on the cheaper side, so not really looking at rich, industrialised western nations.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
If you want stay in SE Asia
Thailand, living expenses less than Cambodia especially if you are out of Bangkok
visa depends on ur age, Tourist visa + 1 month extension, ( apx $100) but if ur over 50 and dont want stick the 800,000 in the bank, an agent can handle it all for 16,000 baht/year
northern Thailand can be very inexpensive
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 am Portugal or Bulgaria might suit you for while? Life's relatively cheap there and it will be a change for sure. Especially Bulgaria has a lot of charm on offer.
Not very good for visas long term for poms though.
People of the world, spice up your life.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:22 pm If you want stay in SE Asia
Thailand, living expenses less than Cambodia especially if you are out of Bangkok
visa depends on ur age, Tourist visa + 1 month extension, ( apx $100) but if ur over 50 and dont want stick the 800,000 in the bank, an agent can handle it all for 16,000 baht/year
Really? You can get a 1 year Thai visa from an agent for 16,000 Baht? About $450? Tempting... What would the process be? Where would I find these agents?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Yawn. Thailand. Yawn.

Come on people. Try and think outside your own small brain!

How about Mogadishu…?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:32 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 am Portugal or Bulgaria might suit you for while? Life's relatively cheap there and it will be a change for sure. Especially Bulgaria has a lot of charm on offer.
From the top of my head they agreed on a visa free stay of max 90 days in six months time. Sounds generous to me for a start.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:47 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:22 pm If you want stay in SE Asia
Really? You can get a 1 year Thai visa from an agent for 16,000 Baht? About $450? Tempting... What would the process be? Where would I find these agents?
Yes , really, when ur ready pm me and i'll give ya all the info and contact
if i write it here, will just get my stalker commenting on it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Nobody stalks you, many posters are just bored with you constantly harping on about Thailand and bitching about Cambodia. Change the record.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:03 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:32 pm
From the top of my head they agreed on a visa free stay of max 90 days in six months time. Sounds generous to me for a start.
Yes, as a tourist.

Until you decide to stay. Imagine renewing your visa every 3 months here.

Brexit. Brexit.
I was joking, nothing to do with Brexit as Bulgaria is not in the EU travel area.

I didn’t realise the 90 limit within the EU is total. So you can’t country hop after 90 days! Wow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic