How liveable is Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

How liveable is Cambodia?

Post by Monica »

Hi there!

Been digging around the internet for some (unfiltered) insights on what it's like to actually live in Cambodia, how liveable it is, and what type of life you'll likely have there as an expat. Information on the expat side of Cambodia feels quite limited and the country seems to be more popular as a one-week tourist stay, but this platform might be a God-sent!

Pre-Covid I was living and working in China, and have been to some other Southeast Asian countries, but never Cambodia.

So, I'd truly, madly, deeply love to know - is Cambodia/Phnom Penh a comfortable country/city to live in? How often do expats get sick due to water/air pollution/mozzies/whatever else? How big and welcoming is the expat community?

And what should I REALLY know before I make the move?

Any answer to any of these (millions of) questions would be sincerely appreciated! :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How liveable is Cambodia?

Post by Alex »

Phnom Penh is very livable.

If you have plenty of money.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Monica wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:03 pm Hi there!

Been digging around the internet for some (unfiltered) insights on what it's like to actually live in Cambodia, how liveable it is, and what type of life you'll likely have there as an expat. Information on the expat side of Cambodia feels quite limited and the country seems to be more popular as a one-week tourist stay, but this platform might be a God-sent!

Pre-Covid I was living and working in China, and have been to some other Southeast Asian countries, but never Cambodia.

So, I'd truly, madly, deeply love to know - is Cambodia/Phnom Penh a comfortable country/city to live in? How often do expats get sick due to water/air pollution/mozzies/whatever else? How big and welcoming is the expat community?

Any answer to any of these (millions of) questions would be sincerely appreciated! :)
Are you coming to work, retire or a long vacation?
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

how often expats get sick, depends on your lifestyle.
Boredom is like a shroud
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi Monika,
Honestly, I wouldn't think of moving your life here until you come and check things out for yourself. Some people love it, some hate it. We can't judge for you. We all have diifferent make or break points about what we need for a place to be liveable.

Personally, I couldn't live in PP, but Cambodia's smaller towns/cities are a good fit for me. I'd say - put your stuff in storage (don't burn all your bridges), and come to Cambodia for a year, explore the country and meet the people and the expats, see if it's a good fit for you.

All the best with your projects.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Alex wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:26 pm Phnom Penh is very livable.

Define plenty?
I know expats who live ok and spend $600 to $800 a month.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:22 pm

Define plenty?
I know expats who live ok and spend $600 to $800 a month.
Maybe you define 'live ok'?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Below 1500$ that would be a frugal life with limited options in case of sudden shitfuckery, which tends to happen, willingly or not.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

Lol Fair enough.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:28 pm

Are you coming to work, retire or a long vacation?
Work & long-stay - I work remotely, copywriting and graphic design, but my partner would probably look for a teaching position.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic