How liveable is Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: How liveable is Cambodia?

Post by Monica »

truffledog wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:41 am
While beeing in China my expat community was mosty other business people and teachers meeting in a few so called expat venues (hotel bars or western style pubs/bars/restaurants, mostly high end).

The expat community in Cambodia is much more diverse: people with a regular job, digital nomads, business owners (many in hospitality) longterm holiday makers, retirees, married to a cambodian type, one time tourists, short term visitors, backpackers and sex tourists and any mix of the above. The cities with a large number of expats tend to have an area where they meet as for example the riverside area in PP. Every city has many bars where the expat make up the majority of guests. You will have no problem finding them.
Yeh, I had similar experiences with China's social scene. There were regular expat restaurants/bars that we'd go to on the weekends, and you know you'd bump into the same friends/faces there every time lol

Is the riverside area that you mentioned like that too? Sounds like people kinda keep to themselves there and do their own thing.

And whereabout in China? :)
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

rgrowden wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:00 pm
It's a very comfortable lifestyle. Stress-free. I grow plants on one of the 3 balconies, have a home gym setup. Put up some artwork.
This sounds glorious.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

It sounds like PP is a lot more expensive than Siem Reap. I have a really nice, spacious western style apartment here for $250. I eat some meals at home (just like I did back in NZ), and most restaurants go from $3 to $6 for meals. I don't hang out in bars every night, but there is a great live music scene here so I am out usually 3 to 4 nights a week, and yes the beer is cheap. There are weekly pub quizzes and the expat community is very welcoming, traffic is light, and the town is very pretty especially around the river walks and the old market area. I could live easily on around $1000 a month without feeling I was scraping by. I have a bit more than that so I can put a bit away for emergencies or motorbike repairs etc. The only real issue is health. With my medical history and age, insurance would be an arm and both legs so I "self insure". Visits to the local clinic for check-ups are just $30, but I would hate to have to stump up for anything serious. All in all I would recommend SR, as a nice, quiet, friendly place with a lot of local attractions and an easy lifestyle.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hdgh29 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:16 pm It sounds like PP is a lot more expensive than Siem Reap. I have a really nice, spacious western style apartment here for $250. I eat some meals at home (just like I did back in NZ), and most restaurants go from $3 to $6 for meals. I don't hang out in bars every night, but there is a great live music scene here so I am out usually 3 to 4 nights a week, and yes the beer is cheap. There are weekly pub quizzes and the expat community is very welcoming, traffic is light, and the town is very pretty especially around the river walks and the old market area. I could live easily on around $1000 a month without feeling I was scraping by. I have a bit more than that so I can put a bit away for emergencies or motorbike repairs etc. The only real issue is health. With my medical history and age, insurance would be an arm and both legs so I "self insure". Visits to the local clinic for check-ups are just $30, but I would hate to have to stump up for anything serious. All in all I would recommend SR, as a nice, quiet, friendly place with a lot of local attractions and an easy lifestyle.
and a big plus if ur in SR is after ur 2nd year u can visit Angkor wat for free :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I’m staying at Season Residence on ST 144 in Phnom Penh. Paying $600 a month for a 48 square meter 1-bedroom apartment with a balcony overlooking the Main Street. Have a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom. Fully furnished with 2 AC units, cookware, and a washing machine with hot and cold water. Perfect size, not too big, hopefully keep electricity cost down running the AC.

I have noticed that eating out so far has been more expensive than I thought it would be, but only being here for four (4) days now I really haven’t gotten the lay of the land yet to find other dining options, but I’m sure I will.

So far everything seems very livable and comfortable.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

And don't forget that once you actually start work here you will have work colleagues who may have been in a similar situation to yourselves only recently. And they might be a useful source of information.
At the end of the day you will make some good decisions and some that you will learn from.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:22 pm I’m staying at Season Residence on ST 144 in Phnom Penh. Paying $600 a month for a 48 square meter 1-bedroom apartment with a balcony overlooking the Main Street. Have a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom. Fully furnished with 2 AC units, cookware, and a washing machine with hot and cold water. Perfect size, not too big, hopefully keep electricity cost down running the AC.

I have noticed that eating out so far has been more expensive than I thought it would be, but only being here for four (4) days now I really haven’t gotten the lay of the land yet to find other dining options, but I’m sure I will.

What type of price are you paying for eating out?
How basic are you comfortable with? Kandal market has hot food for sale at particular times each day
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

violet wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:20 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:22 pm I’m staying at Season Residence on ST 144 in Phnom Penh. Paying $600 a month for a 48 square meter 1-bedroom apartment with a balcony overlooking the Main Street. Have a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom. Fully furnished with 2 AC units, cookware, and a washing machine with hot and cold water. Perfect size, not too big, hopefully keep electricity cost down running the AC.

What type of price are you paying for eating out?
How basic are you comfortable with? Kandal market has hot food for sale at particular times each day
I’ve had Lok lak a few times. I think the cheapest I paid was $7.50, most expensive was $16.00, yes $16.00, that was stupid on my part. I like basic foods, rice with pork, chicken, beef. I know there are cheaper options out there, just have to find the best hole in the wall joint, so far I’ve been eating at indoor restaurants, but that will change.

Right now I just have to get my body adjusted to the different food here, so can’t get too carried away trying to be adventurous with the local food. What’s going in right now is coming out, fast, lol.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Yes, good point. Leave the more ‘rustic’ meals until your stomach has adjusted
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:51 pm Right now I just have to get my body adjusted to the different food here, so can’t get too carried away trying to be adventurous with the local food. What’s going in right now is coming out, fast, lol.
Welcome to the Kingdom of Multi Resistant Germs.

You will get used to it, eventually. Might take a week or two. Did you get a Typhoid vaccination? Highly recommended for this country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic