How liveable is Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: How liveable is Cambodia?

Post by ExPenhMan »

hanno wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am As to expenses, i know some retires living in kampot on $500/month; $100 room, $.50 beers starting at 10 am, local dishes at $2-3 each in bed by 7pm when the beers go to $1.
walk or bicycle
Sounds like a whale of a time ;-)

I am moving (back) to Cambodia soon and it looks like decent accommodation will take a large chunk. Most places I have been offered so far are $1,500 and above. Expensive considering I am currently in a 4-bedrooms house for a paltry $350, including all expenses.
Am I correct in assuming you're looking for a multi-bedroom house in a borey? If not, please explain a bit. I ask because that US$1500/month is a scary figure. So isn't the US$800/month (30,000 baht) for western style condo apartment in Phnom Penh that another poster mentioned. This amount would get you a pretty damn nice, spacious apartment in Bangkok. A friend pays this for a 120 sq m beauty on a very nice soi off Sukhumvit.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:27 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am As to expenses, i know some retires living in kampot on $500/month; $100 room, $.50 beers starting at 10 am, local dishes at $2-3 each in bed by 7pm when the beers go to $1.
walk or bicycle
Sounds like a whale of a time ;-)

I am moving (back) to Cambodia soon and it looks like decent accommodation will take a large chunk. Most places I have been offered so far are $1,500 and above. Expensive considering I am currently in a 4-bedrooms house for a paltry $350, including all expenses.
Am I correct in assuming you're looking for a multi-bedroom house in a borey? If not, please explain a bit. I ask because that US$1500/month is a scary figure. So isn't the US$800/month (30,000 baht) for western style condo apartment in Phnom Penh that another poster mentioned. This amount would get you a pretty damn nice, spacious apartment in Bangkok. A friend pays this for a 120 sq m beauty on a very nice soi off Sukhumvit.
Actually looking for a 3-bedroom apartment or house. I have been offered cheaper lodgings too but they all looked rough so far or are in a crappy neighbourhood.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:52 pm If you move away from the centre/expat areas then there is no need to spend $800 for an apartment, I have a very nice 100 sqm place for $450 plus maybe $60 for electricity. If you mainly cook at home or don't go drinking in Western bars every night then you certainly don't need $50 a day, but if that's what you want to do then you will need a bit extra.
We're aiming for no more than 700 for an apartment I think. Not crazy drinkers, although social aspect is really important :) But I like, and prefer, to cook at home, so not worried about eating out more than once a week really. I'd love to travel to Thailand/Vietnam occasionally tho...
Is border-hopping for a weekend a thing? And if so, is it an affordable thing?
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

MrBen87 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 pm For me personally, I have a love/hate relationship with Cambodia but I accept it for the crazy and wondrous place it is.
Think this might be how I'll feel about it too. Really helpful information, thanks!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Monica wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:36 pm
Bluenose wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:52 pm If you move away from the centre/expat areas then there is no need to spend $800 for an apartment, I have a very nice 100 sqm place for $450 plus maybe $60 for electricity. If you mainly cook at home or don't go drinking in Western bars every night then you certainly don't need $50 a day, but if that's what you want to do then you will need a bit extra.
We're aiming for no more than 700 for an apartment I think. Not crazy drinkers, although social aspect is really important :) But I like, and prefer, to cook at home, so not worried about eating out more than once a week really. I'd love to travel to Thailand/Vietnam occasionally tho...
Not really. Distances are not that large but traveling in Cambodia takes quite some time making it hard as a 2-3 day trip. Flights to neighboring countries are relatively expensive but are much more convenient.
Quite a bit to explore in-country as well.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:47 pm
Not really. Distances are not that large but traveling in Cambodia takes quite some time making it hard as a 2-3 day trip. Flights to neighboring countries are relatively expensive but are much more convenient.
I would argue that the flights have always been relatively cheap. You were able buy return flight to pretty much any capital city in SEA for under $150 before. Now more like $200 but flight prices around the world have went up, so I would consider that still cheap for 1-2 hours international flights. One can found still flights to Bangkok for under $100.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Then anywhere between $750-$1000 should be enough per month. You can spend a lot more if you want but by no means do you have to.

I spend on average around $450 per month excluding rent (but including electricity, tuk-tuks, food & drink etc). Could spend more, could spend less. I live comfortably on that amount, eat out around dinner per week and a few lunches per week as prefer cooking at home.

Although I would say as a couple you want to be earning at least $2/3k per month, you need some rainy day/future money, and in the $450 I am not including holidays. I choose to spend less, not sure I would enjoy having to.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:23 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:06 pm I thought all the cool people are going to Kampot these days, where it's cheap(?), clean(?) quiet(?) and safe(?).
Kampot, or Kep, could work for them if her partners income is treated as a sort of "bonus" as any teaching jobs there would likely pay less than in Phnom Penh.
If the OPs income is not reliable/fixed and her partners income would be the main source of income, with it being a fixed monthly salary, then PP would be the obvious choice.
Yeh, we're really considering PP because of the slightly higher teaching salaries. And the access to more modern (?) amenities. It'll be 50/50 hopefully, but if visa things don't work out for me as a digital nomad, I don't mind looking for a teaching position on the ground there. We both have teaching experience, and enjoyed it.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Monica wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:03 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:23 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:06 pm I thought all the cool people are going to Kampot these days, where it's cheap(?), clean(?) quiet(?) and safe(?).
Kampot, or Kep, could work for them if her partners income is treated as a sort of "bonus" as any teaching jobs there would likely pay less than in Phnom Penh.
If the OPs income is not reliable/fixed and her partners income would be the main source of income, with it being a fixed monthly salary, then PP would be the obvious choice.
Yeh, we're really considering PP because of the slightly higher teaching salaries. And the access to more modern (?) amenities. It'll be 50/50 hopefully, but if visa things don't work out for me as a digital nomad, I don't mind looking for a teaching position on the ground there. We both have teaching experience, and enjoyed it.
If you happen to be married, then the visa shouldn't be a problem.

I would say Siem Reap has same modern amenities what Phnom Penh have too. Just smaller and less hectic city, except during holidays when +100k locals come and visit the town.

Rents cheaper in Siem Reap too.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:59 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:47 pm
I would argue that the flights have always been relatively cheap. You were able buy return flight to pretty much any capital city in SEA for under $150 before. Now more like $200 but flight prices around the world have went up, so I would consider that still cheap for 1-2 hours international flights. One can found still flights to Bangkok for under $100.
Air asia for next week
flights to Bangkok r $62 each way> 45 day visa exempt
flight all the way to to Phuket is only $97 via Bangkok
PP- Singapore $82 each way ( no visa)
PP- Saigon $104 each way
PP- Bali via KL $144 each way ( visa free for short stay)
Overland to Thailand with a visa exempt entry is free 2x/year
Laos $40 voa
Vientam- dont know the visa costs
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic