How liveable is Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Re: How liveable is Cambodia?

Post by CaptainCanuck »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 pm
Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
This section is titled

"Ask the Expats (Question & Answers)"
not
"Ask the Expats and get retarded answers"

The OP asked a reasonable question and while most replies have been helpful I think one or two posters need to wind their necks in and the mods need to be a tad more active.
It’ll never happen .... this is the personal domain of a chosen few dementia patients and the rest of us mere mortals must learn to tolerate their nonsense .... I’m no statistician but I wonder what the count is for new members who don’t stay long because of the sheer belligerence of that lofty few ....
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:41 am
mannanman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:49 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:30 pm
mannanman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:22 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:26 pm Phnom Penh is very livable.

If you have plenty of money.
Define plenty?
I know expats who live ok and spend $600 to $800 a month.
Maybe you define 'live ok'?
Well it’s defined as people who need to think about how much money they spend every month.
No, you defined it. You apparently know expats living in Phnom Penh, spending only 600-800$ and 'living ok'.

What is an expat life in Phnom Penh on 600-800$ a month like these days?
Fucked if I know. I don’t ask what people do day to day. That would be weird mate.

At a guess…
It won’t be like your life of sucking nubile maidens, caviar and $100 bottle wine but they seem to do ok. They have a roof over their head, eat well and go out and buy $1.25 beers, amazingly. They do whoring though which makes a big difference.
People of the world, spice up your life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....The OP asked a reasonable question and while most replies have been helpful I think one or two posters need to wind their necks in and the mods need to be a tad more active.....
And one wonders why no members stick around when they get some pure shit outrageous responses here from assholes
Sarcasm does not always come across to many

1st thing you need consider is your VISA
things have tightened up , not easy if your not legally employed in country or over 55

Seems the best you can look at is the new EP ( was EG) extension which is only 3 months so you get a 4 month stay>
No news yet about how often you could repeat this or even if you can

As to expenses, i know some retires living in kampot on $500/month; $100 room, $.50 beers starting at 10 am, local dishes at $2-3 each in bed by 7pm when the beers go to $1.
walk or bicycle
god help them if they get sick or have an accident

than know one guy finding it hard with a family in PP on $4,000/month
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am As to expenses, i know some retires living in kampot on $500/month; $100 room, $.50 beers starting at 10 am, local dishes at $2-3 each in bed by 7pm when the beers go to $1.
walk or bicycle
Sounds like a whale of a time ;-)

I am moving (back) to Cambodia soon and it looks like decent accommodation will take a large chunk. Most places I have been offered so far are $1,500 and above. Expensive considering I am currently in a 4-bedrooms house for a paltry $350, including all expenses.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:43 am
mannanman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:22 pm
Define plenty?
I know expats who live ok and spend $600 to $800 a month.
Well it’s defined as people who need to think about how much money they spend every month.
No, you defined it. You apparently know expats living in Phnom Penh, spending only 600-800$ and 'living ok'.

Fucked if I know. I don’t ask what people do day to day. That would be weird mate.

At a guess…
It won’t be like your life of sucking nubile maidens, caviar and $100 bottle wine but they seem to do ok. They have a roof over their head, eat well and go out and buy $1.25 beers, amazingly. They do whoring though which makes a big difference.
Well that's a check I guess. 600$ a month in Phnom Penh will suffice for an OK life. :hattip:

But you're an extremely bad guesser.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

Been here for 10 years, have not once regretted it. I've lived in 5 countries, spent time in 10. Lived in China, moved because the severe pollution was ruining my health. Lived in Saudi Arabia for 5 years before coming here. Main reason for coming here was the heat. Not as high as in S.A., but it will do.

Lived on the cheap for the first few years - $250 to $400 apartments. Got tired of living with all the street noise, screeching kids, and garbage. So I moved to BKK1, now Tonle Bassac. I pay $900 for a very nice 2 bed/2 bath, western apartment with all the amenities. No noise. Ahh. I spend almost all my time in the apartment with my 3 cats and 2-3 outside cats. I live in a 2 bed/bath place because the 3 need a bath of their own, and the spare bedroom they use for lounging. Seriously. I'm a little weird about cats, I admit. So be it.

Take a tuktuk once a week, make the rounds of 2 markets and a couple of shops. Same tuktuk driver I've had for years. I pay him $10. Food and supplies run about $125. I order takeaway, mostly Indian, 3 times a week, costs about $15 total. Those are all my expenses.

I have health insurance with Cigna Global, they pay the hospital direct. Very high deductible, and I keep cash on hand to pay it if needed. Use Raffles clinic for health care.

No night life, I never go out after dark. Have no intention of getting run over by a 'foreign drunk driver'. Don't drink or chase women, so I've no idea about those costs here.

It's a very comfortable lifestyle. Stress-free. I grow plants on one of the 3 balconies, have a home gym setup. Put up some artwork. Talk to no one but the cats. Ikigai.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:32 am
mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:43 am

At a guess…
Well that's a check I guess. 600$ a month in Phnom Penh will suffice for an OK life. :hattip:

But you're an extremely bad guesser.
Are you speaking from experience or just arguing for the sake of it?

If are looking for that you have come to the right place, the right city in fact.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:20 pm
no decent supply of yogurt,
:lol:
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:42 pm On this forum you can find a recent thread about someone contracting a complicated pneumonia and that didn't end well
Saw that post yeh, really sad. But nice how community/friends stepped in for him for the most part.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:57 pm
Small country, but check out the Newsworthy thread, as well as Asinine & Ask the expats threads, while looking for these keywords :
Scammers, road rages, illnesses, meat cleaver stories, burglary, meth, guns & bullets, road dividers, immigration, gambling, drugs, prostitution, corruption, potholes, law changes, counterfeit stuff....
Geepers, full spectrum then. lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic