What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

Post by Pedrazo »

I heard that the musician guy Clay was forced out by the elderly Australian landlord.

Who actually owned the business?

I just saw this post in "Introduce Yourself" and now I don't know what's going on.
Lin@Garage Bar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:44 pm Hello everyone, I would like to introduce myself and my younger sister Kea as the new owners of the Garage Bar at # 9 Street 110 in Phnom Penh. You may have already met me before as I have worked in the bar for 4 years but stopped
working in the bar last year. My 20 year old sister has only worked there for one night as she still studies, so you will not see her around much. The Garage Bar will be shut for a few days while we sort out a few problems but do not worry we have had a bar operating from our premises for 15 years, 13 years under our brand name of Garage Bar so we will not be going away. I hope to see you and some of my oldtime customers once again soon.
Is the bar Khmer owned and run now? That's never a good sign.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

Post by armchairlawyer »

Very sad.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Lin was fired a year ago for being totally incompetent. I don't think any of the regulars will be back.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Lin@Garage Bar
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Lin@Garage Bar »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 am Lin was fired a year ago for being totally incompetent. I don't think any of the regulars will be back.
No I was not fired. Myself and one another staff member working in the bar walked out in discuss at the way Clay treated us .
Clay never owned the business he was just a manager . The businesses and the building is totally owned by myself and my sister .
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

So Clay didnt pay rent and the landlord payed him a salary? I dont think so.
People are under the assumption these places run themselves but they dont.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

13 years under our brand name of Garage Bar so we will not be going away
That's bullshit, Garage Bar was set up by Jeff & Brunt. I doubt very much that Lin even knows what Garage means. She probably thinks it's a place to store/ fix cars :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Shame - another good bar gone

It was on the slide for me since some years in any case - I don't think I've been in under Clay's ownership because the atmosphere was gone and the staff quite slovenly on my last visits in 2018
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Those were great years when JM and Brunt ran their baby. Was there a LOT. Probably started sliding after JM sold the place in late 2014 for family reasons and a return to the States. Photos below from 10th anniversary party 2019.

CEO thread from 5th anniversary party.

general-chatter/garage-parties-boats-an ... nniversary
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Opposite Larry’s. It looked like it had been shut for years.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Liked the burgers and the staff were sweet at least from 2018 onwards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic