What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

Post by Darkcel »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:04 am
Darkcel wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:51 am So the bar has officially shuttered?
I think it may be your brain that has shuttered ?
You're pretty defensive to someone just asking a simple question.

I'm sure the ship will sail on with you at the helm.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:55 pm And for those that like their official statistics, there were 2,517 Cambodian students studying in Australia immediately prior to Covid and international border closures.

And I happen to know one of them quite well and who has completed a bachelor of education in Australia and is now in the second year of her Master's of Education at the University of Western Sydney. There were, to my knowledge, five other Khmers at the same university.

And now, under the current government and proposed changes to Australia's immigration laws, holding an Australian Degree, especially a higher degree, is about to become a pathway to Permanent Residency which, in turn, is a pathway to Australian Citizenship.

So very good luck to the young woman from the Garage Bar.

Source: https://internationaleducation.gov.au/r ... umber.aspx

OML
I know the regular khmer girl gets horny only thinking about aussi-citizenship.
But are here non-aussies or khmers they get also horny about it ??
I know a lot who dont give a shit, if i was offered, i would denie, but ofcourse i come from a small poor european country with shit beer and chocolat (to eat) !! ??
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

What a thread! Easy to get a student visa for Australia. Education is one of the biggest industries. Unis are degree factories, they want you to pass. The bait for foreigners is permanent residence. Its a big scam.
As for wages. Often stupidly high. Van driver $34 an hour plus 9% super. Toilet cleaner for the Council $44 an hour, 11 hours a day plus 10% super. $88,000 a year to clean toilets. Rents are crazy, if you can get something. $230 plus for a room, $450 for 2 beds. $500 plus for a house. People living in cars and tents. Have to give pets away. Really tough. And food prices ridiculous.
Mortgage rates have gone up 5 times with 4 more rises to come. Average earners are struggling.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:39 pm
Ot Mean Loi wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:55 pm And for those that like their official statistics, there were 2,517 Cambodian students studying in Australia immediately prior to Covid and international border closures.

And I happen to know one of them quite well and who has completed a bachelor of education in Australia and is now in the second year of her Master's of Education at the University of Western Sydney. There were, to my knowledge, five other Khmers at the same university.

And now, under the current government and proposed changes to Australia's immigration laws, holding an Australian Degree, especially a higher degree, is about to become a pathway to Permanent Residency which, in turn, is a pathway to Australian Citizenship.

OML
I know a lot who dont give a shit, if i was offered, i would denie, but ofcourse i come from a small poor european country with shit beer and chocolat (to eat) !! ??

Don't give a shit about Aussie citizenship? Would deny it if offered to you?

You Forget the what the Aussie Diggers sacrificed for Belgium in WW1?
Either you have No Respect or you don't know your own countries history or both.

In the course of the First World War, five major battles were fought around the Belgian town of Ypres. All five Australian divisions took part in the Third Battle of Ypres, which was in fact a series of battles culminating in the Battles of Passchendaele.
Over 38,000 Australians were killed or wounded in the Ypres battles. The stone lions that marked the Menin Gate in the Ypres ramparts during the war now flank the entrance hall at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

So, willyhilly - given your doom-laden posting about how terrible life is in Australia, how do you explain the current tsunami of applications for student visas from abroad as set out in this statement:

Between 20 November 2021 and 3 July 2022, the Department granted nearly 126,000 student visas to applicants offshore.

There has been strong growth in Student visa lodgements since the border re-opened in mid-December 2021. The Department of Home Affairs received the highest number of applications in the last ten years in June 2022, with almost 43,000 visas lodged in that month alone. This followed on from May 2022, which was the third highest number of visa lodgements in the last ten years.

Never mind the massive flood of applications to migrate to Australia.

There must be something good about the place to attract so many formal applications to come to our shores. Never mind the boat people who just try to jump the queue and come anyway. Or why else would we be overwhelmed with requests for Working Holiday Visas?

Ye gods. I even came myself at age 20 and have never left and getting naturalized and neutralized along the way. And, no, I wasn't a ten pound pom.

OML
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Grand Barong wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:02 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:39 pm

OML

Don't give a shit about Aussie citizenship? Would deny it if offered to you?

You Forget the what the Aussie Diggers sacrificed for Belgium in WW1?
Either you have No Respect or you don't know your own countries history or both.

In the course of the First World War, five major battles were fought around the Belgian town of Ypres. All five Australian divisions took part in the Third Battle of Ypres, which was in fact a series of battles culminating in the Battles of Passchendaele.
Over 38,000 Australians were killed or wounded in the Ypres battles. The stone lions that marked the Menin Gate in the Ypres ramparts during the war now flank the entrance hall at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
I know what the aussies did +100 years ago for belgium, of course i do know, but i dont see the connexxion from the war +100 years ago with aussi-citizenship. Thanks anyway, if not, we were all german speaking now in big part of europe, hahaha. But also the yanks came over, but i would deny also US-citizenship.
The regular khmer girl thinks in australia you have all a tree that grows 500 euro-bills (even in europe its hard to fInd any). I compared more then once australia with my country or some other north-west-european country, and indeed, you earn more money (thats what the khmers make wet and horny), but if you count the cost of life we are better of without doubt !!!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

People are pouring into Australia but many are getting a rude shock at the costs. But as I said wages are high but there is nowhere to live.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Garage Bar is closed for a month or so. For renovations.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Following the Sharky route?
Stylish bar full of history and character with enigmatic and popular boss ,
Boss departs (in this case less tragically)
New boss does a reno that blitzes the charm of the bar.
Reopening is a damp squib.
Slow spiral downwards to closure.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:18 am Following the Sharky route?
Stylish bar full of history and character with enigmatic and popular boss ,
Boss departs (in this case less tragically)
New boss does a reno that blitzes the charm of the bar.
Reopening is a damp squib.
Slow spiral downwards to closure.
Just common sense and good planning to paint ceilings, walls and renew floor tiles that have not been touched in 16 years, and to be done during the low season. It's not a job that can be done in a day or two . Going to take a full week to scrape off all the nicotine and THC of the ceiling and walls before a layer of paint will stick on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic