What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What the hell is going on at Garage Bar?

Post by verdebandit »

What does anything about this have to do with a bar in pp 110?
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 am
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:29 am She doesn't need a CV now, she has a full time job running a bar. :)
She will need a CV sometime in the future. Her near future is to study in Australia and while there, to work part time and to have bar/restaurant work on a CV ,,, my opinion ,,, is it would certainly help her get a part-time job there.
This is why it is very relevant to this thread. It helps to read and follow the whole thread.

OML
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Here is your answer:

There is no maximum age limit to apply for a Student Visa in Australia. However, the Department of Home Affairs will take into account your age to determine, whether you are a genuine applicant.

OML
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

And for those that like their official statistics, there were 2,517 Cambodian students studying in Australia immediately prior to Covid and international border closures.

And I happen to know one of them quite well and who has completed a bachelor of education in Australia and is now in the second year of her Master's of Education at the University of Western Sydney. There were, to my knowledge, five other Khmers at the same university.

And now, under the current government and proposed changes to Australia's immigration laws, holding an Australian Degree, especially a higher degree, is about to become a pathway to Permanent Residency which, in turn, is a pathway to Australian Citizenship.

So very good luck to the young woman from the Garage Bar.

Source: https://internationaleducation.gov.au/r ... umber.aspx

OML
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

What will she be hoping to study in Australia?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:28 pm What will she be hoping to study in Australia?
To me it does not matter what she studies, its all about learning. Even if its a holiday, or a short term course there are many new things that are learnt and experienced that add to your knowledge and will help later in life. I note that most / all of my past friends that took 5 year apprenticeships never continued in that type of job later in life.

I know all of you are just a bunch of old women wanting to gossip about bar girls so here is the latest.

Now, as for the 21 yo girl in question, being the second oldest that was still studying and getting work experience in the bar,, [ not the oldest 23 yo sister that is in the bar full time,,] the problem exists where she is the head of the house and in charge of her 11 yo and 13 yo younger sisters, so I / we have not yet sorted out the problem of who will look after them when she is gone. As it so happens, the school that they all attend has offered her a job as a receptionist at the school, so I encouraged her to take it even though the pay is ratshit. Last week was her first full week of working at the school and head of the house, It is all experience and can only add to a good look on her CV later.
A 6 month or one year delay in going overseas will not do any harm to her education.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

So the bar has officially shuttered?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:51 am So the bar has officially shuttered?
I think it may be your brain that has shuttered ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:30 am I know all of you are just a bunch of old women wanting to gossip about bar girls so here is the latest.
That's a great way to encourage people to visit a failing bar. Well done champ. :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:52 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:30 am I know all of you are just a bunch of old women wanting to gossip about bar girls so here is the latest.
That's a great way to encourage people to visit a failing bar. Well done champ. :facepalm:
That's a great way to get you total posts up to the 13,000 mark. Just another sour comment of yours that adds nothing to this forum.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic