Air Asia opens PP to Penang from December 10th

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Air Asia opens PP to Penang from December 10th

Post by Doc67 »

Good news, another weekend getaway with a >2 hours direct flight.

Be aware, Air Aisa website quoted me $282 return including a checked 20kg bag. However, skyscanner came up with $168 for the same flight, inc the bag. If you're one of those people that can get all you need in a 7kg hand luggage, then it comes down to a mere $138. If only I had a passport.... :(

Has anyone been there?

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ ... enh-penang

P.S.
Great Flight times too: Outbound 14:00/16:50 Inbound 12:30/13:15
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Air Asia opens PP to Penang from December 10th

Post by phuketrichard »

love Penang, one of my top 5 cities in SE Asia, 1st went thru there in '83
great food, plenty of accommodations, Georgetown is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, plenty to see and do for a few days using the bus system
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Been there way too many times (visa runs).

Remember back in 2012 or something I was on the 10th floor of a hotel as we got hit by a 7-something earthquake. The whole hotel was swinging back and forth as we bolted down the stairs, good times!

The place itself I have little memories of, being I was doing visa runs there was never a sober moment %)
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 am Good news, another weekend getaway with a >2 hours direct flight.

Be aware, Air Aisa website quoted me $282 return including a checked 20kg bag. However, skyscanner came up with $168 for the same flight, inc the bag. If you're one of those people that can get all you need in a 7kg hand luggage, then it comes down to a mere $138. If only I had a passport.... :(

Has anyone been there?

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ ... enh-penang

P.S.
Great Flight times too: Outbound 14:00/16:50 Inbound 12:30/13:15
It's $250 from Siahnoukville this weekend but need to stopover at KL which makes it an hour or two longer than direct from PP

However you fly Malaysia Air so no budget carrier horseshit to deal with as with Air Asia
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

https://phuket.zenfolio.com/p867215729

trips from 2012

way back in the late 90's it was the place to go from Phuket for shopping
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Great news. One of my favourite cities in SEA too. Great food & great historical town. And pretty cheap too.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Been a couple of times to run the marathon and love it. Some of the best Indian and Chinese food I have had in SE Asia.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've always found it overrated. Georgetown is crumbling and rat-infested, Penang as a whole doesn't have a lot to offer compared with similar places that have better beaches and etc. It's not really high on my list of "must revisit" places.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Alex wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:12 pm I've always found it overrated. Georgetown is crumbling and rat-infested, Penang as a whole doesn't have a lot to offer compared with similar places that have better beaches and etc. It's not really high on my list of "must revisit" places.
Each to their own. I don't do beaches but I found Georgetown fascinating and a photographers paradise.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Alex wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:12 pm I've always found it overrated. Georgetown is crumbling and rat-infested, Penang as a whole doesn't have a lot to offer compared with similar places that have better beaches and etc. It's not really high on my list of "must revisit" places.
Agreed! Won't go back.
The food court was impressive, could spend a year there & still not try all the various dishes.
Infrastructure is great. The place is relaxing & civil, but a bit too civil for me.
Speaking with one of the business owners in Love lane, he was the first to open the bar to the street, then the other bars did the same trying to out do the others with the loudest music, said he was going to enclose it again.
Full of Chinese, Indian & Middle Eastern cultures, integration/fusion is a successful melting pot.
Worth a visit but not somewhere I would recommend.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic