Step Down Converter From 240V to 110V 25 AMP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Step Down Converter From 240V to 110V 25 AMP

Post by Newinkow »

Does everyone know of a good reliable place in Phnom Penh where I can purchase a good quality 240 to 110/120 Step down converter rated for at least 20 AMP. I prefer one rated for 25 AMP if they are available. I just want the extra AMP for protection. I plan to use it for small counter top from my home country.

Nothing personal but I don't want any made in mainland China. Made in Taiwan, South Korea, Japan and Thailand are my preference

Thank in advance
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Step Down Converter From 240V to 110V 25 AMP

Post by ressl »

I know you said " no made in China", but if you change your mind, I can give you the contact data of a very reliable seller on AliExpress. I have purchased several inverters, converters and power supplies from and never had any trouble (not kidding, just today I got a 2kW inverter). Only once there was a value a bit out of range, but this seller is one of the very rare ones that really cares about his customer and gave me immediately, qualified support. Shipping is not cheap, but he uses DHL express
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I picked one up easily ( made in japan) when I landed in sihanoukville 11 years ago .
Since then I found out my Bose stero can us a 12 volt power source adaptor besides the 120 v electrical cord
So I switched to that instead of risking plugging it in and frying the thing ,
Now it just sits on a shelf , because itsnot Bluetooth , I might have lost the converter
But made in china would be a deal breaker for me also if I could avoid it.
I wish there were a choice to buy toys for my kid not made in china .
I have a huge box of broken toys i’m looking for somewhere to dump
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

178 st. in the block between Monivong and 63. Many shops selling electrical stuff like this.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

As for ordering from AliExpress, I'll keep that in mind if nothing else pan out. I have nothing against China. I'm a Chinese Canadian originally from Hong Kong. The family moved to Vancouver in 1968. If possible I would like to keep the money I spend in the country and help the local economy. China does not need help for it's economy. I will definitely give 178 st a go and see what's available.

What prompted this need for a converter was that the last trip (pre covid-19) I was look for panini press here and could not find one. Lots of sandwich press but no panini.

Maybe I should of start a thread 1st for advice on where to find a panini press in PP. I didn't bring my press over this trip but if I can sort out a converter, I'll bring it over next trip. My thoughts on this is that if I do purchase a converter here with the spec list (minimum rating of 20 AMP), I have options to bring any small appliances over from Canada in the future.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

25 Amp is 2750 watts that is way overkill for a sandwich toaster most 110v small appliances are less than 1500w and I would doubt is a sandwich toaster would be less than 1000 watts. If that is the case then a 10-12A converter would work.
Lots of the shops that import used Japanese and Korean refrigerators will have what you need as the refers are 110v.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

beaker wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:57 pm 25 Amp is 2750 watts that is way overkill for a sandwich toaster most 110v small appliances are less than 1500w and I would doubt is a sandwich toaster would be less than 1000 watts. If that is the case then a 10-12A converter would work.
Lots of the shops that import used Japanese and Korean refrigerators will have what you need as the refers are 110v.
Yes, you are correct with the overkill statement for a panini press. My reason is this: in my country, the max rating for small appliances is 20 AMP. All outlet are on 20 AMP breakers. I agree 25 AMP is overkill and 20 AMP is all that I need. I just want the extra peace of mind.

If I'm going to purchase a converter here, I want one that will be suitable for any small appliances I decide to bring over in the future. I'm conflicted, on one hand I would prefer to purchase what I need here to help the economy. On the other hand I'm concern about the quality for the small appliances. Cheap ones are usually made in China and Cambodia has no standards rate. Quality ones from Korea or Japan are expensive here. It's the US dollars and no standards that has me concerned.

In Canada all appliances must meet the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) even ones made in China. To be honest most are made in China. Currently our dollar is at around 75 cents to the US, this added to the cost of purchasing here. Just basing on the cost, with out exchange rates, I could buy most appliances at home below what it cost here. Some significantly lower and better quality.

Haven't decided yet on what to do yet. As I stated the panini press was what got me started on this trend of thought. If I can find a panini press in PP I might just say screw the converter and purchase the panini press here. If any fellow CEO members know of a panini press (not a sandwich press) available in PP this would help significantly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic